Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torn Menicus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Torn Menicus

Quote Originally Posted by AFKILO7 View Post
    I had my follow up with Orthopedics today...the doc explained the injury as seen on the MRI. Looks like I will be having surgery along with at least six weeks of no moving.
    It will be difficult, but eat less while you are not moving...you will put on a few pounds - I speak from experience. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Totally agree w/VFFTSGT. Also, the stationary bike will be your best friend for a while. Phys therapy...not fun...but vital!
    Best wishes AFKILO7 for a quick and full recovery!!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FrankII,
    I did in fact have surgery. My surgery was conducted July 17, the doctor repaired the torn meniscus, reattached it and cleaned out the remaining cartilage. He then performed the micro fracture portion where he drilled a bunch of holes into the bone to make it bleed. Apparently by doing this it creates a substance similar to cartilage? I was in an immobilizer for three months, two of which I couldn't put ANY weight on my leg. The medical hobby shop/physical therapy division here had a guy that liked to push the envelope regarding recovery and had me putting weight on it before I was supposed to be, fortunately it only occurred during the one session before I had my follow up with my surgeon. He nipped that in the bud immediately and called to Lackland.
    I attend physical therapy 3 days a week and I also do many of the same exercises at home. Your son will have at-home exercises as well as those conducted at PT. I haven't pushed too hard and I am now in the phase where I can begin running again. Ironically I was planning on posting here tonight because I am close to hitting a year on a profile...and with the impending cuts I'm worried. Can anyone give me an angle as far as where I should begin looking for answers regarding when I could be eligible for a MEB? What I could do to curtail the process?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In April, while playing soccer during PT I injured myself. I planted my left leg and rotated, hearing an audible pop, it hurt like hell eventually but being the competitive person I am, I tried to "walk it off." I continued to hobble around for another 20 minutes and went home. When I got home I iced and elevated my knee and went to bed. The next morning it still hurt so I called the hospital and made my way in to get looked at. Finally after more than a month I had an MRI, I got the call today that my meniscus is torn and the cartilage in my knee is MIA. I'm waiting on the referral to ortho to drop. Have any of you suffered a knee injury similar to mine? If so, did you require surgery? How long was recovery?
    Best advice I can give is DO NOT OVER DO IT. I was entirely to aggressive with pt after my surgeries since the knee was feeling good and my therapist recommended pushing it, and as a result tore my knee up even worse, since it was still trying to heal. Bike, bike and bike some more. Only run if/when needed, to prolong your knee's life. Like others, I'm getting synvisc and cortisone to try and push off a replacement for another 7 years.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mods must'be missed this thread during their initial push a couple of no.the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I injured my medial meniscus cartilage, and I had tp spend 6 weeks in a cast. 6 months later, I was sent to Drill Instructor School at Parris Island MCRD, SC, after which I did my bit as a DI.

'Getting back on your feet' is a bit different for everybody. At the end of DI school, I had to do a 15 mile run, fully clothed, with a ruck sack loaded with 40 pounds, fully loaded cartridge belt, my rifle, and a steel pot helmet. I finished that run gasping, but I was awarded with my first assignment as a Drill Instructor (other than the time we had to spend with a platoon of recruits, as a student DI).

Anyway, anything IS possible, if you rehab that knee correctly. Don't think that once the surgery is finished, that you can just resume everything, as if nothing had taken place.

And ... this is an old thread. I guess my advice is to anyone undergoing treatment, right now. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DocBones View Post
    I injured my medial meniscus cartilage, and I had tp spend 6 weeks in a cast. 6 months later, I was sent to Drill Instructor School at Parris Island MCRD, SC, after which I did my bit as a DI.

'Getting back on your feet' is a bit different for everybody. At the end of DI school, I had to do a 15 mile run, fully clothed, with a ruck sack loaded with 40 pounds, fully loaded cartridge belt, my rifle, and a steel pot helmet. I finished that run gasping, but I was awarded with my first assignment as a Drill Instructor (other than the time we had to spend with a platoon of recruits, as a student DI).

Anyway, anything IS possible, if you rehab that knee correctly. Don't think that once the surgery is finished, that you can just resume everything, as if nothing had taken place.

And ... this is an old thread. I guess my advice is to anyone undergoing treatment, right now. Good luck!
    DocBones,
    That is awesome! I'm doing what they ask me to do and I'm working hard to get back into the swing of things. With the direction the AF is taking I am just trying to get to MSgt this year. After that I'm retiring...if I make it past the new "hunger games" AF. My goal is to be healthy enough to be a LEO when I retire. It is a job that I've wanted to do since...forever.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Bad knees? You'll never make rank now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today I ran the Wounded Warrior 8K. It was the first time I have run 5 miles since BEFORE my knee surgery. I am happy with my time, 1:00:15. One of my coworkers is a Pose Running instructor and I have been attending classes mon, wed, and fri mornings for about a month. My 1-mile time went from 9:00 to 7:12. My first full PT test is due in November, my goal is to get a 90%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Today I ran the Wounded Warrior 8K. It was the first time I have run 5 miles since BEFORE my knee surgery. I am happy with my time, 1:00:15. One of my coworkers is a Pose Running instructor and I have been attending classes mon, wed, and fri mornings for about a month. My 1-mile time went from 9:00 to 7:12. My first full PT test is due in November, my goal is to get a 90%.
    Good on ya, man. No snark here -- that's awesome.

FWIW, I retired in 2010 and my 1.5-mile time has gone from the mid-11s to infinity.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin