Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

Frank sez, "If you're an IET soldier in language school you'd better be home by 2100 every night!" "No overnight passes!" "No drinking in the barracks!" "Cameras!"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52101178/n...s-monterey_ca/

Can you imagine how well that's going over with some of the older IET students? Probably not so bad if you're only there 26 weeks, say, for Spanish, but how about 63 weeks as one of Fearless Frank's peons, if you are in Korean, Chinese, or Arabic? Bet this REALLY helps recruiting and retention of linguists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

:damnit-sign2::fuckyou::spankme::wtf1::loser::shoot::fest3 0:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Damn...I haven't had a 9 pm curfew since I was like, 11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Damn...I haven't had a 9 pm curfew since I was like, 11.
    Yeah, I bet this battalion "commander's" kids have a later curfew. And EVERY night? Even weekends and holidays? Plus cameras in the barracks? Makes you wonder how many troops will get Article 15s for curfew violations. If I were an IET student there I don't think I'd be real happy, and I don't drink. And I sure as hell wouldn't do any volunteer work downtown. Once the word spreads it makes you wonder how linguist recruiting will be affected. Believe you'd have to want to be a linguist very badly to put up with this shit, and that's what it is...shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My daughter started tech school a week ago and from what she says, she moves to "ATP" on MOnday, which means she's pretty much free to do what she wants, to include having her car there. Blows my mind!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Yeah, I bet this battalion "commander's" kids have a later curfew. And EVERY night? Even weekends and holidays? Plus cameras in the barracks? Makes you wonder how many troops will get Article 15s for curfew violations. If I were an IET student there I don't think I'd be real happy, and I don't drink. And I sure as hell wouldn't do any volunteer work downtown. Once the word spreads it makes you wonder how linguist recruiting will be affected. Believe you'd have to want to be a linguist very badly to put up with this shit, and that's what it is...shit.
    I'd love to see what hapens to said commander if most of the students 'drop out'.. over this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I'd love to see what hapens to said commander if most of the students 'drop out'.. over this.
    Good question. Believe there will be even worse morale problems. Have heard this is apparently Army-wide. Guess the Army has too many troops so they can use curfew violations, etc., to get rid of some. Others may try to get out in other ways. Glad my kids aren't in the Army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    My daughter started tech school a week ago and from what she says, she moves to "ATP" on MOnday, which means she's pretty much free to do what she wants, to include having her car there. Blows my mind!
    Is she in the AF? What is ATP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Is she in the AF? What is ATP?
    Yes, she is in AF, in tech school, at Shepperd. I think she said it was "Advanced Training Program." They don't do the "phases" anymore, so I guess after a week or so, they just cut you loose.

Damn, just realized this is in the Army folder... I guess I don't even bother looking, since 99% of the posts are in the AF one lol
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The restriction only applies to IET soldiers, mostly Cryptolinguists who go there straight out of Basic. 2100 curfew and no overnight passes is not really much of a change for most of them unless Basic got WAY softer than when I went through less than 5 years ago. They don't even go to their AIT before language school, the Army wants to make sure they can learn the language first before wasting money on the actual TS training.

The restrictions are petty, but there you go. The only people who are going to have morale problems are the ones who are already there and used to later nights out, and if they want to drop after getting through Basic over a curfiew then I say get rid of them before some poor platoon sergeant has to.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I am not certain about the former" -Albert Einstein.