Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Some O-5 at DLI is bucking REAL hard for O-6.

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Yes, she is in AF, in tech school, at Shepperd. I think she said it was "Advanced Training Program." They don't do the "phases" anymore, so I guess after a week or so, they just cut you loose.

Damn, just realized this is in the Army folder... I guess I don't even bother looking, since 99% of the posts are in the AF one lol
    Gee, so pretty much like it was for me when I got to DLI in 1974 from Lackland. We had no "phase" program or anything like that. We could go downtown, and did, the next day, since we pulled in late at night.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    The restriction only applies to IET soldiers, mostly Cryptolinguists who go there straight out of Basic. 2100 curfew and no overnight passes is not really much of a change for most of them unless Basic got WAY softer than when I went through less than 5 years ago. They don't even go to their AIT before language school, the Army wants to make sure they can learn the language first before wasting money on the actual TS training.

The restrictions are petty, but there you go. The only people who are going to have morale problems are the ones who are already there and used to later nights out, and if they want to drop after getting through Basic over a curfiew then I say get rid of them before some poor platoon sergeant has to.
    Have you gone through DLI? I have. Toughest school I have ever attended. Would you like to have a 2100 curfew, no alcohol, and no overnight passes for up to the next 18 months, especially if you are in your late 20's or so? On top of that, you have a grueling language course, study hall, physical training, military training, and forced volunteering downtown. Not a lot of fun to be a DLI student. One reason why linguist retention is so poor. That's why not just the Army, but all the services put so many students through DLI. I have been both a linguist and have commanded linguists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you restrict any troop from any service like that you just end up with more discipline problems. People need breaks in the grind to let off some steam and re-energize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UH1FE View Post
    If you restrict any troop from any service like that you just end up with more discipline problems. People need breaks in the grind to let off some steam and re-energize.
    Absolutely. When I was a young punk E-1 starting DLI our first shirt said after we'd been there a while and felt like we were getting ready to go apeshit come see him for a 3-day pass. The pass covered Fri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun/Mon. A welcome break. Got a few over my year there. DLI turns three-day weekends into four-day weekends but if you can't go on pass and have to be back in quarters by 2100 I have to ask just how much of a break one gets.

I can imagine the mental health clinic at DLI, probably already busy, will get even busier.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I wonder if they are going to require all students hand over the keys to their cars/vehicles, and if the student wants it back,, they have to "ask daddy"...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    The restriction only applies to IET soldiers, mostly Cryptolinguists who go there straight out of Basic. 2100 curfew and no overnight passes is not really much of a change for most of them unless Basic got WAY softer than when I went through less than 5 years ago. They don't even go to their AIT before language school, the Army wants to make sure they can learn the language first before wasting money on the actual TS training.

The restrictions are petty, but there you go. The only people who are going to have morale problems are the ones who are already there and used to later nights out, and if they want to drop after getting through Basic over a curfiew then I say get rid of them before some poor platoon sergeant has to.
    Agreed. Also notice how the article stated that you can get written permission to go past curfew. That means you can still apply for weekend passes (and probably get it if you've got good grades and no disciplinary problems)

Let's give them a straw... so they can suck it the fuck up. a 2100 curfew for junior Soldiers isn't that bad. Yeah I know they're "geniuses" and all that shit and should get special treatment... but they can put up with it along with the rest of us.

If someone complains, put him in a combat arms school for a few days, see how he likes it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The policy sounds a lot like the current policy for USFJ... As I recall, most of those people are assigned there for 3-4 full years.
    "I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." -Fox Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    The policy sounds a lot like the current policy for USFJ... As I recall, most of those people are assigned there for 3-4 full years.
    And you have the same lack of leadership in USFJ. Instead of punishing the miscreants, punish everyone. REAL (sarcastic) smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. Already believe they have to do a bunch of "force protection" or "risk management" stuff if going further than a certain distance. Treating troops like children is always counterproductive, and, frankly, contemptible.
    Just like the Naval Academy, had to be in your senior year before u got a car, garages all over town were full of midshipman's cars, LOL!