View Poll Results: Should DoD close Commissaries?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 44.23%
  • No

29 55.77%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing Commissaries

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Closing Commissaries

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    The same can be said of any minimum wage employer.

Joe, In what manner does Wal-Mart consume government assistance dollars? I am serious in this question because other than tax incentives I can't think of what you might mean.
    I don't think Joe actually understands Wal-Mart's business model. It is ture that Wal-Mart does leverage it's position to gain tax advantages. Wal-Mart also asks cities to build infrastructure in many cases to its liking. So if that is what Joe means I guess he is right. In most rural areas Wal-Mart opts to buy cheaper land on the outskirts of town and let the city build out towards them. Wal_mart recieves a tax reduction for this and the city spends tax dollars to bring roads and utilities to Wal-Mart. This initially uses government resources but in the end the city gains taxable land and infrastructure. It is actually a win-win. It doesn't reallys urprise me that Joe would be opposed to Wal-Mart's buesiness model because it is based on capitalism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for closing BX/PX/NX stateside, but the price of groceries can vary WILDLY throughout the US. I think if any savings are to be made, they should cut crap like the BX, bowling alley, outdoor rec, etc. I honestly do not use them (how many say the do on a regular basis?).
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
    I'm all for closing BX/PX/NX stateside, but the price of groceries can vary WILDLY throughout the US. I think if any savings are to be made, they should cut crap like the BX, bowling alley, outdoor rec, etc. I honestly do not use them.
    All of the things you mentioned should go as well. I think the proper way to handle getting rid of these things though is to sell the business off if it has value. I am at WPAFB so I will use examples we have here. The base has all the normal things Hobby shop, Outdoor Rec (closed this month), 3 golf courses (one is a 9 hole), bowling Alley, several restaurants, and of course Commissary and BX. I say that we close AAFES down and sell off the assets. The golf courses are a big hit at this base but there are also at least 10 courses avaliable in the community. If someone wants to purchase the rights to the course and operate them as a business go right ahead. They might actually make money off them. If someone wants to purchase the bowling alley (highly doubt it) they are welcome to. Treat every activity as its own business which is up for sale. Some things on the base like the Subway restaurant would obviously remain while others would close. Why not let the market decide which things are necessary? The results would be different at every base though. I am guessing rural bases like Minot or Ellsworth would have more activities open while urban bases would close almost everything. The bottom line is if the activity is supporting itself we should leave it open but let private industry run it. Taxpayers already pay for troops salaries. Why should we also subsidize the places where troops spend that money? If we need to adjust pay (COLA) that can be done much easier than subsidizing business that no one uses.

JD2780

I'm all for closing BX/PX/NX stateside, but the price of groceries can vary WILDLY throughout the US. I think if any savings are to be made, they should cut crap like the BX, bowling alley, outdoor rec, etc. I honestly do not use them (how many say the do on a regular basis?).
    We use the commissary for certain things and Walmart for others. BX we use out of convenience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I took their little "Force Support base services survey", I mentioned in every space availible it is time to cut everything in services but the gym.
    No one goes because the service and hours are dumb or nonexistant, its too expensive to keep them open and they are never open because no one goes. Its a vicious cycle.
    Cheers!

Dickie
    ----------------------------------------------------
    3S373 AF Manpower Requirements Analyst
    3S371 Manpower and Organization Craftsman
    1P071 Aircrew Flight Equipment Craftsman
    1T171 Aircrew Life Support Craftsman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CONUS commissaries should be shut down. 1.4 Billion annually is not a small program.

As discussed in the article, an additional discount at places like WalMart would be awesome. I believe most smart shoppers would have a smaller bill. What is the down-side?

This discussion is NOT about AAFES/BX/PX/NEX/Exchange, shoppette, MWR programs, or other NAF programs.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would agree that closing commissaries and exchanges at CONUS sites would save money, and that they should be retained for those overseas. Back when the majority of people lived on base and spent most of their time on base, the commissary and exchanges made great sense.

I am troubled that today we spend money to duplicate facilities or services that are readily available and affordable in the civilian sector. If DoD is taking commanders to find redundant processes and missions and consolidate them to save money, why do we still have commissaries when there are grocery stores within a couple of miles?

Regarding exchanges, instead of the exchange selling inexpensive necessities for service-members, I can buy a Rolex, Waterford crystal or designer clothing. I understand that some funds are put back in MWR programs, but is it a reasonable return on our investment or should we just put funds directly into MWR and ‘save money’ in the long run?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    The same can be said of any minimum wage employer.

Joe, In what manner does Wal-Mart consume government assistance dollars? I am serious in this question because other than tax incentives I can't think of what you might mean.
    As needleman said, food stamps. Walmart is pretty efficient at utterly destroying all small businesses in the area, and replacing them with minimum wage employees almost across the board with shit benefits that make enough to barely even support themselves, let alone a family.

Walmart "saves money" by passing their personnel costs directly to the taxpayer. If we closed down the AAFES commissaries, which costs tax dollars but actually employs people at reasonable wages - including I might add - a large number of military spouses and dependents... this saves money how exactly?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Can you name any grocery store that employs people at higher than minimum wage or close to it? It does not make any sense to pick on Wal-Mart just because they are the biggest. If you go to any of Wal-Mart's competitors you will find that their employees have roughly the same wages and benefits.
    I was not comparing Walmart to its private competitors - I despise all of them (with very few exceptions) - I was comparing Walmart to AAFES.

Also it is important to remember that Wal-Mart is providing a variety of foods and services at a low price which ultimately serves the people on food stamps. If we raise prices on food and groceries to pay for better benefits then how will the people on food stamps afford to eat? We would have to raise the amount of food stamps they recieve which does what? (hint: government resources)
    If Walmart achieves those lower prices by outright screwing those people in the first place, they don't benefit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    As needleman said, food stamps. Walmart is pretty efficient at utterly destroying all small businesses in the area, and replacing them with minimum wage employees almost across the board with shit benefits that make enough to barely even support themselves, let alone a family.

Walmart "saves money" by passing their personnel costs directly to the taxpayer. If we closed down the AAFES commissaries, which costs tax dollars but actually employs people at reasonable wages - including I might add - a large number of military spouses and dependents... this saves money how exactly?
    Can you name any grocery store that employs people at higher than minimum wage or close to it? It does not make any sense to pick on Wal-Mart just because they are the biggest. If you go to any of Wal-Mart's competitors you will find that their employees have roughly the same wages and benefits. Also it is important to remember that Wal-Mart is providing a variety of foods and services at a low price which ultimately serves the people on food stamps. If we raise prices on food and groceries to pay for better benefits then how will the people on food stamps afford to eat? We would have to raise the amount of food stamps they recieve which does what? (hint: government resources)