Thread: Bible Passages That Leave You Scratching Your Head

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Bible Passages That Leave You Scratching Your Head

One of my favorites:

Mark 16:17-19
    New International Version (NIV)
    17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    I now make a plea to any Christian theologians who may post here to put this Rusty Jones in the place he so richly deserves. I who am not one even know this individuals appears to have not a clue that the Bible is a series of writings an documents gathered form different sources an different styles. I also know they were written for the times an have been rewritten an interpreted over the years. I also know that a good bunch was written in the form of parables. I also know the old testament is a telling of the forthcoming of the savior who for us Christians is Jesus Christ. Please those of you with more knowledge than I have an are Christians set this individual straight, I beg you.

Always
    Wildman
    All Rusty is doing is posting quotes directly from the bible. Why do you find this upsetting?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Sweet...This is fun. Good idea for a thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    All Rusty is doing is posting quotes directly from the bible. Why do you find this upsetting?
    Because IMHO he does not have a clue to the true meaning of those verses, an I am not knowledgeable enough about theology to adequately debate him thus I ask for the experts to do so.

Always
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

That's King James. Now let me give you Endzone's interpretation.

Proverbs 26:12 Do you know somebody that always thinks they're smarter than everybody else and in fact they think they are even smarter than God Almighty Himself? They attempt to bring acusation against God Himself and by their fallen nature they set a standard of morality against God, and they are so arrogant as to find fault with God who dwells in the light no man approaches unto. These arrogant people are headed for a life of self-destruction, and it is very difficult if not impossible for them to humble themselves and be willing to embrace the truth. It's doubtful that anyone can get their attention except the Lord Himself. Only the Lord's mercy and prayers of saints will be able to break through to such a person.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Sweet...This is fun. Good idea for a thread.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Because IMHO he does not have a clue to the true meaning of those verses, an I am not knowledgeable enough about theology to adequately debate him thus I ask for the experts to do so.

Always
    Wildman
    I’ll let Rusty speak for his own motivations for posting these passages from the bible.

The reason I’m doing it is because I want believers to read the bible and think about it.

In all the years I was a church goer and a believer I knew very few people who read the whole bible front to back.

It sounds like you haven't read much of it or studied its history and the history of civilization much either. I don't say that to insult you but to encourage you to give it a try.

What really lead me to become an atheist was reading the bible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

HA!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Holy sh*t, I hope none of you guys have ever had to work on a Sunday. This one is straight from the burning bush too. So work on a Sunday = death.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I now make a plea to any Christian theologians who may post here to put this Rusty Jones in the place he so richly deserves.
    A Jewish one has attempted to do so already, and has failed. With there being even more inconsistencies in Christianity, handing a Christian theologian his own ass will be much easier.

I who am not one even knows this individuals appears to have not a clue that the Bible is a series of writings an documents gathered form different sources an different styles.
    As usual, your grammar and syntax is off, and has made your post unreadable. Rewrite this.

I also know they were written for the times an have been rewritten an interpreted over the years.
    And as long as Christians are living by the translations that are currently available to them, then those translations are what's relevant.

I also know that a good bunch was written in the form of parables.
    If you ask me, the whole damn Bible was.

I also know the old testament is a telling of the forthcoming of the savior who for us Christians is Jesus Christ.
    Pfft... ask a Jew. They'll give you a number of reasons why Jesus is not the Messiah. Was the Messiah ever predicted to be God and/or the Son of God? Was he predicted to die for everyone's sins, so they could go to Heaven? Nope.

If another Messiah claimant were to come, you can bet that the Jews who defect to follow this Messiah will view him in a totally different light than Christians view Jesus. Check out Sabbatai Zevi, if you don't believe me (and yes, I will post links if you want me to).

Please those of you with more knowledge than I have an are Christians set this individual straight, I beg you.

Always
    Wildman
    Are you admitting that you have less knowledge than I do?

You know what's sad? You actually have more knowledge of the Bible than all of the other Christians here; at least as far as I can tell from what they've displayed.

So... what does that mean? If you can't do it, then no one else can.

Always
    Wildman
    I don't claim to know what those verses "mean." What I AM claiming, is that anyone who DOES claim to know what they mean are only deceiving themselves. Whatever claim they make, will be self-serving. Again, show these verses to ten offended Christians, and you'll get ten "true meanings."

All I will EVER claim to know, is what these verses SAY. And that's the only claim that anyone can make.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males