Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bible Passages That Leave You Scratching Your Head

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Bible Passages That Leave You Scratching Your Head

Deuteronomy 13:6-11
    6 “If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7 of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8 you shall not consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9 but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10 And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 11 So all Israel shall hear and fear, and not again do such wickedness as this among you.
    Freedom of religion as a Judeo-Christian value? Yeah.... sure, buddy.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

JD2780

Acts 10:28 ESV

And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean.

John 8:7

"And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”"

Just horrible messages. Horrible.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

John 13:23-25
    23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke.

25 Then, leaning back on Jesus’ breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?”
    General consensus is that "the disciple whom Jesus loved" was John the Disciple. Although not mentioned in the Bible, John the Disciple was known to have only been a teenage boy at the time.

Yep...
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    John 13:23-25

General consensus is that "the disciple whom Jesus loved" was John the Disciple. Although not mentioned in the Bible, John the Disciple was known to have only been a teenage boy at the time.

Yep...
    Yea and? I don't see anything shady there. A teenager in those days was basically an adult. You will look at anything in a negative light because of your prejudicial view towards the bible. You've got your "opinion". I've got mine. It's cool.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I Kings 14:10

Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.
    I normally post from the New King James Version, but this time around I used the regular King James Version. The "pisseth against the wall" part was too funny!

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I Kings 14:10

I normally post from the New King James Version, but this time around I used the regular King James Version. The "pisseth against the wall" part was too funny!
    Can't disagree there.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Yea and? I don't see anything shady there. A teenager in those days was basically an adult. You will look at anything in a negative light because of your prejudicial view towards the bible. You've got your "opinion". I've got mine. It's cool.
    Ah, okay. So the gay relationship between Jesus and John was 100% consensual? Cool, no harm no foul then!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

1 Samuel 20:30 (The Living Bible)
    Saul boiled with rage. “You son of a bitch!” he yelled at him. “Do you think I don’t know that you want this son of a nobody to be king in your place, shaming yourself and your mother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I now make a plea to any Christian theologians who may post here to put this Rusty Jones in the place he so richly deserves. I who am not one even knows this individuals appears to have not a clue that the Bible is a series of writings an documents gathered form different sources an different styles. I also know they were written for the times an have been rewritten an interpreted over the years. I also know that a good bunch was written in the form of parables. I also know the old testament is a telling of the forthcoming of the savior who for us Christians is Jesus Christ. Please those of you with more knowledge than I have an are Christians set this individual straight, I beg you.

Always
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    All Rusty is doing is posting quotes directly from the bible. Why do you find this upsetting?
    Because IMHO he does not have a clue to the true meaning of those verses, an I am not knowledgeable enough about theology to adequately debate him thus I ask for the experts to do so.

Always
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.