Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tornado monster makes beeline for Tinker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tornado monster makes beeline for Tinker!

Currently a monster Tornado cluster around Oklahoma city is headed directly for Tinker AFB.

News is sporadic but reports of multiple Tornado clusters are thrashing the area.
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Tornado monster makes beeline for Tinker!

Thoughts are with the folks over there...I have several very good friends at Tinker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been watching this for the past few hours as I have friends that live in Moore, Oklahoma. I've been discussing this with my friends on Facebook through most of the night and have seen the weather observations coming out of Tinker so far this evening....multiple tornadoes on and around the base.

KTIK 010057Z 29041G54KT 1 1/4SM R36/3500FT +FC TSRAGS SCT013 SCT020 BKN028 21/18 A2972 RMK +FC 3NM SW MOV ESE SLP058

Winds gusting to 54KT knots with a tornado observed 3 miles SW moving ESE

KTIK 010038Z 08031G40KT 10SM +FC TSRA BKN030 26/23 A2950 RMK AO2 +FC OHD MOV E LTG DSNT W-E RAB0004E0013B0030DZB0013E0030 TSB2358E0013B0030 PRESFR PA +1672 DA +3709 COR 0037

Winds at 40 knots with a tornado on base, moving E

KTIK 010034Z COR 03043G48KT 9SM R18/5500FT +FC TSRA BKN028 BKN034 27/23 A2955 RMK AO2 +FC 3NM W MOV SE PK WND 02053/34 LTG DSNT W-E RAB0004E0013B0030DZB0013E0030 TSB2358E0013B0030 PRESFR COR 0037

Busy night across the OKC area....hopefully everyone remains safe. I did see that a Weather Channel vehicle was tossed 200 yards by one of the tornadoes. Luckily the crew escaped with only bumps and bruises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the wx system has moved through Ok city... can't find any info on Tinker other than one twister reported on base previously. No current Tornados on ground... warnings still in effect. Storm now headed thru Missouri (Joplin) and on way to St. Louis Mo.

-- An 87-mph wind gust was recorded at the air force base, the National Weather Service tweeted.
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did see that tinker had an additional wind event after the tornadoes passed, with winds reaching 87 mph (76 knots). Looks like flash flooding is becoming and issue in the OKC area. I heard there was a tornadic storm moving over the Lambert Airport in St Louis earlier....hopefully nothing makes it into the Scott AFB area tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lane What A/C are at tinker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure RC, but I believe they have the E-3 Sentry there (AWACS).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    lane What A/C are at tinker?
    E-3 AWACS and E-6Bs...Mercury..(Navy Boeing 707 derivative conversion as Airborne Command Post)
    ChiefB

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes..just looked it up, big damn base! Never flew into it. Interesting history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Atlus? was mentioned too about kc-135/buffs. Now it does training for the AF.