Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attorney urges Congress to end sleep apnea claims 'abuse'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Attorney urges Congress to end sleep apnea claims 'abuse'

Don't eliminate the condition as a defined compensation illness---reschedule it. If there's no surgery or prescription involved rate it as 10% and with surgery and or meds rate it at 40%.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Also what of those who had it BEFORE they came in?? Should those be able to get 'va disability ratings" just cause they had it anotated in their med records?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some very interesting comments:

"Strong, Divided Reactions to Sleep Apnea Claims
    Jun 13, 2013
    TOM PHILPOTT

Ordinarily I enjoy reading Military Update. However, I was more than a little dismayed at your column on sleep apnea and the comments by Michael Webster.
    I have severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). I use a CPAP, including when I travel. I am dependent on it to sleep without interruption. I was diagnosed with OSA while on active duty, two to three years before I retired and well before I even knew that it was a VA disabling condition.

Sleep Apnea is not new. It's been described as early as the Roman era. What is new, dating from about 1981, is the CPAP. Even more recent is the recognition of the disease and its effects on human physiology including interrupted sleep, depression, increased in risk of a heart attack or stroke, and even an increase in cancer mortality rates."

http://www.military.com/benefits/201...1076338&rank=7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Some very interesting comments:

"Strong, Divided Reactions to Sleep Apnea Claims
    Jun 13, 2013
    TOM PHILPOTT

Ordinarily I enjoy reading Military Update. However, I was more than a little dismayed at your column on sleep apnea and the comments by Michael Webster.
    I have severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). I use a CPAP, including when I travel. I am dependent on it to sleep without interruption. I was diagnosed with OSA while on active duty, two to three years before I retired and well before I even knew that it was a VA disabling condition.

Sleep Apnea is not new. It's been described as early as the Roman era. What is new, dating from about 1981, is the CPAP. Even more recent is the recognition of the disease and its effects on human physiology including interrupted sleep, depression, increased in risk of a heart attack or stroke, and even an increase in cancer mortality rates."

http://www.military.com/benefits/201...1076338&rank=7
    Granted this comment is anecdotal, with no evidence to back it up, but I suspect this is much closer to the truth!!

I was a clinic manager and an independent duty corpsman in VA while on active duty. I have written many consults for sleep studies. It seemed every person retiring wanted a sleep study. The Naval Hospital was so overwhelmed we had to start sending consults out to civilian clinics. On average about 40-50 percent of patients seen at the Naval Hospital were diagnosed with sleep apnea. On the other hand, 100 percent of the patients sent to civilian clinics where diagnosed with sleep apnea.I brought my concerns up to my chain of command and was told there was nothing that could be done. I agree that this was, and still is, being abused. The sad part is the vets with combat-related injuries who are well below 50 percent, including myself.

I have no problem with my disability rating below 50 percent. I do have a problem with people getting 80-100 percent for conditions that have no possible correlation with military service.

Most of the persons I see with 50 percent and above have conditions directly related to personal choice. The military did not make them fat, give them diabetes or give them sleep apnea. If they had taken better care of themselves they would not have the conditions. I understand some of these conditions are genetic, but family history should also not be a reason for disability.

Solution: Make all personnel diagnosed with sleep apnea send a printout of their CPAP machine showing it is being used. Anyone who has a family history of diabetes, heart disease, etc. in their health records should not be eligible for disability. Not maintaining proper body weight and failing physical fitness should not be rewarded with compensation for a self-inflicted disease.

PAUL. H.
    Chief Hospital Corpsman, USN-Ret.
    Via email
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I fully agree with his statement of "Solution: Make all personnel diagnosed with sleep apnea send a printout of their CPAP machine showing it is being used. Anyone who has a family history of diabetes, heart disease, etc. in their health records should not be eligible for disability. Not maintaining proper body weight and failing physical fitness should not be rewarded with compensation for a self-inflicted disease."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Also what of those who had it BEFORE they came in?? Should those be able to get 'va disability ratings" just cause they had it anotated in their med records?
    Can't say about sleep apnea - but I retired in 1998 with 28 years service. Had lower back pain documented well over 20 times in my medical record - never had an x-ray, mri, etc while active duty except at retirement physical. Doctor said I had been born with very mild case of spina bifada (sp?) - a small bulge in my lower spine. I asked about disability claim - Doc said no because it was a pre-existing condition. Didn't get any disability at retirement nor now.

Second issue - family genetics. My brother-in-law is a Vietnam vet (only did two years - draftee - one year in Vietnam). Both of his parents were Type 1 diabetic. He developed Type II diabetes at about 45 years old. Went to the VA - Vietnam vet - agent orange - automatically got 20 percent. Then went back for sleep apnea (he uses CPAP) - got another 30 percent. He is now going for hearing loss (he was a truck driver in the Army). Back then - no hearing protection and he says he had a 50 cal mounted on his truck. Looks like he is going to get another 20 percent. Having said all that - he is still working road construction - driving heavy equipment. I'm not jealous - but I am skeptical all that was a result of his Vietnam tour.
    A TRANSPORTER - NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES!!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calmo70 View Post
    Having said all that - he is still working road construction - driving heavy equipment. I'm not jealous - but I am skeptical all that was a result of his Vietnam tour.
    So he is getting (or might be) 70% disability, and is STILL working. Cases like this is why i feel disability claiments should be vetted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So he is getting (or might be) 70% disability, and is STILL working. Cases like this is why i feel disability claiments should be vetted.
    Yea - and he just turned 62 and is applying for early Social Security - surprised a bit he never applied for Social Security disability too.
    A TRANSPORTER - NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES!!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

That definitely sounds like someone willfully milking the system...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Its like when i lived in the UK as well as being stationed there.. Many a show on the news, or on the show Watchdog had people claiming disability, but still working under the table elsewhere, or in 2 dicked up cases, claiming 100% disability but getting caught on camera REFEREEING at a soccer match. To me that comes under the fraud heading.