Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All 7 Continents & Greenland -- Who Else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: All 7 Continents & Greenland -- Who Else?

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    Yeah if you post a link to an external website it usually has to go through a Moderator for approval. I should be heading there for another 5-6 months this coming August...we'll see how things go, plans are constantly being shifted around and reworked due to sequestration. You are right about the Kiwi station, it is that industrial green color and it is called Scott Base. That must have been pretty cool though to show up on a ship for station refueling, I remember ship offload being a crazy time, I also recall the stigma that comes with the NAVCHAPS when they show up...all alcohol sales stop and the bars close down. I have a short YouTube video too...just me and a friend walking to the galley in Condition 2 weather.
    You must be pretty tough to winter over. Do you get any kind of satellite TV there? I know we lost the satellite when we tied up at the ice pier. The elevation of the satellite was like 5 degrees, and it was blocked by the hills there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's how it looked from the ice pier in January 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Can't make that claim... best I've got is riding my motorcycle through the lower 48, stopping in Mexico for shits & giggles, through Canada to Hyder, Alaska... 10,300 miles, in 9.5 days!
    So what is the best state?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done a lot of traveling but I did not stay in too many locations to get a good feel for the location.

States: All over but I would say I visited 30-35 different states. I should keep some sort of track of it. My favorite was NY but I am from there so I am biased. Otherwise I have enjoyed what little of Cali and Colorado I saw. Canada was cool but I only went to the Falls and around that area.

Europe I was in Germany for 3 years but I visited Austria, Belguim, Netherlands, Luxemberg, France, and Italy.

In Asia I was at Osan, Qatar, Singapore (only a day).

I was also at BIOT for a few months. That was kinda cool looking back but at the time I wasn't a huge fan.

It would be cool to be able to add to this list and being in Korea would be an easy way to travel. Only Im not with the wifey and I would like to travel together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
    You must be pretty tough to winter over. Do you get any kind of satellite TV there? I know we lost the satellite when we tied up at the ice pier. The elevation of the satellite was like 5 degrees, and it was blocked by the hills there.
    Oh I haven't wintered over yet. I went in on the second flight of WINFLY last year and stayed through the whole summer season. From the looks of your video Winter Quarters Bay has not changed at all. Although, we had a lot more ice hanging around this season...it finally started to blow out after a big storm we had there. We did get a few channels of TV while I was down there, namely some Kiwi and Aussie networks. We also had a few channels of AFN that we could watch too. All of our communications came from a facility on Black Island, so we were able to overcome the line-of-sight issues because of that. The station also has two (nearly) 24 hours movie channels as well.

JD2780

Asia eurotrash and of course North America.

TACPs don't generally get to go to cool places.

It's a cool job just narrow in locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Can't make that claim... best I've got is riding my motorcycle through the lower 48, stopping in Mexico for shits & giggles, through Canada to Hyder, Alaska... 10,300 miles, in 9.5 days!
    Good Lord! That's averaging a little under 1100 miles per day. That would mean you were on your bike for 18-19 hours each day. You're lucky you didn't get a blood clot to the brain.
    When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
    -Abraham Lincoln