Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

  1. #1
    JD2780
    Guest

    Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    http://www.eclectablog.com/2013/04/t...-democrat.html

    Wow, just wow. Kind of blatant on that one.

    http://mobile.alternet.org/alternet/...f5d9d0c07cb0/1

    Once again democrats are showing they're just as as bad as republicans.

    I remember using that derogatory word once growing up. My parents spoke loud and clear with an open palm. Didn't turn out well with me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Your second link was bad.

    In your first link; it was made very clear that the person who wrote this article is also a Democrat; and that the person who said this has been cut off from the party. Not defended or justified by other Democrats; but shunned.

    What I must point out, is that the GOP is the party that's always on the defensive about this. That says a lot.

    The GOP in its modern form began with Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy; which was specifically designed to harness the racism of the South and use it to keep their party in power. That's what the Southern Strategy is all about; and it's the basis for today's GOP.

    Then there's that famous interview with Republican Lee Atwater with how the Southern Strategy Works:

    Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

    Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

    Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."
    As you see here, Atwater actually admits that they speak in code. Instead of making laws targeting blacks; you make laws targeting certain things that have to do with blacks - and though it means you won't get every black person, and that there's going to be some white collateral damage; it's something that will suffice for them.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #3
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Your second link was bad.

    In your first link; it was made very clear that the person who wrote this article is also a Democrat; and that the person who said this has been cut off from the party. Not defended or justified by other Democrats; but shunned.

    What I must point out, is that the GOP is the party that's always on the defensive about this. That says a lot.

    The GOP in its modern form began with Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy; which was specifically designed to harness the racism of the South and use it to keep their party in power. That's what the Southern Strategy is all about; and it's the basis for today's GOP.

    Then there's that famous interview with Republican Lee Atwater with how the Southern Strategy Works:



    As you see here, Atwater actually admits that they speak in code. Instead of making laws targeting blacks; you make laws targeting certain things that have to do with blacks - and though it means you won't get every black person, and that there's going to be some white collateral damage; it's something that will suffice for them.
    Yes, not surprising it's from 68. Yes, and when some republicans say outlandish things many will shun them as well.

    As for the second link I thought it would end up being bad. It's from the mobile site. Ill try to change it out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Lee Atwater's quote is actually from 1981.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  5. #5
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Lee Atwater's quote is actually from 1981.
    Misread it then. Ok so 32 years ago. This little gem said it a little more recently than that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Opt out
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Once again democrats are showing they're just as as bad as republicans.
    No doubt a source of pride for the GOP.

  7. #7
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    As the saying goes, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Misread it then. Ok so 32 years ago. This little gem said it a little more recently than that.
    ...and here's why that's important: Lee Atwater actually doesn't appear to be a racist guy himself. Richard Nixon? He's been quoted as saying some racist things, but nothing that indicated any intrinsic motivation to be malevolent with his racism.

    What these Republican politicians were doing, whether they themselves were racist or not, was simply pandering to the racists in order to get their votes; so they can stay in power and have a job.

    So how does that affect the GOP today? First, there are many Republicans from that time who still hold office. In addition, there are many young people who were brought up as actually racists from that time who the GOP was pandering to; that have no grown up, and are holding office.

    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    No doubt a source of pride for the GOP.
    The problem is, the GOP can point fingers at Democrats and say "ah ha!" whenever they feel that they've found their smoking gun; but the most that they will ever do with that is "win" an argument with a Democrat who says the GOP is racist. They will not, nor do they care to, actually CONVINCE minority voters of anything.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  9. #9
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    ...and here's why that's important: Lee Atwater actually doesn't appear to be a racist guy himself. Richard Nixon? He's been quoted as saying some racist things, but nothing that indicated any intrinsic motivation to be malevolent with his racism.

    What these Republican politicians were doing, whether they themselves were racist or not, was simply pandering to the racists in order to get their votes; so they can stay in power and have a job.

    So how does that affect the GOP today? First, there are many Republicans from that time who still hold office. In addition, there are many young people who were brought up as actually racists from that time who the GOP was pandering to; that have no grown up, and are holding office.



    The problem is, the GOP can point fingers at Democrats and say "ah ha!" whenever they feel that they've found their smoking gun; but the most that they will ever do with that is "win" an argument with a Democrat who says the GOP is racist. They will not, nor do they care to, actually CONVINCE minority voters of anything.
    Personally, I like minority republicans. They tend invalidate the racist argument.

  10. #10
    JD2780
    Guest

    Re: Racism in the Racsim and sexism isn't just for republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    What makes me laugh on this whole front, is when a black guy tells another black guy :you're an arrogant N((((((" its ok, but if a white person says it the same way, with the same inflections, it all of a suddenly becomes racist...
    Another double standard. Watch Comedy Central and you'll see the double standard. Black guy makes jokes about white people nd everybody laughs. White guy makes jokes about black people and isn't seen or heard from again!!

    I've are plenty of black people tell me they hate it when they hear other black people refer to each other a n*gger. They say it completely undermines everything they've worked for. I tend to agree with them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •