Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesus: Starve the Poor

JD2780

Re: Jesus: Starve the Poor

Yes I have some possessions but I don't have 5 flat screens, any many other things, our kids have a PS3 and a wii. we also have our cars house, bed, and the usual furniture, but those are part of shelter. My pastor did tell us that as time has passed as did the literal meanings of things. We believe he meant not to become materialistic and judge life based on things. I've donated things we don't need, like extra tv's, clothes, jackets, sleeping bags. So yes, my wife and I are constantly finding things in our house to donate.

Feel free do what you usually do and sharp shoot, make fun of and trash my beliefs. It's your right to trash what I believe and if it makes you feel better than so be it.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Yes I have some possessions but I don't have 5 flat screens, any many other things, our kids have a PS3 and a wii. we also have our cars house, bed, and the usual furniture, but those are part of shelter. My pastor did tell us that as time has passed as did the literal meanings of things. We believe he meant not to become materialistic and judge life based on things. I've donated things we don't need, like extra tv's, clothes, jackets, sleeping bags. So yes, my wife and I are constantly finding things in our house to donate.

Feel free do what you usually do and sharp shoot, make fun of and trash my beliefs. It's your right to trash what I believe and if it makes you feel better than so be it.
    JD,

I do enjoy your posts and I think you are very likely a nice person who is sincere in their beliefs.

I tried many years to be a believer but the more I read and learned about the bible the less I believed that it is the divine word of a supernatural entity.

I love to talk about the bible and I would very much like to hear you opinion of the post I just made in the Go AF Atheists thread directed at Wildman.

I don’t think you or anyone else is dumb for believing in God. I just have a hard time in believing in God after studying and contemplating the concept over the course of my life.

JD2780

Some folks labeled a group of us Christians as zealots yet the fanatical disdain is coming from them. They have repeatedly referred to some folks as morons and made fun their beliefs. Either way, I made the mistake of hoping back into this conversation with folks that truly do not care what anybody else has to say.

AA you didn't personally attack anybody from what I recall, you simply spoke your piece and pressed on with life.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Some folks labeled a group of us Christians as zealots yet the fanatical disdain is coming from them. They have repeatedly referred to some folks as morons and made fun their beliefs. Either way, I made the mistake of hoping back into this conversation with folks that truly do not care what anybody else has to say.

AA you didn't personally attack anybody from what I recall, you simply spoke your piece and pressed on with life.
    Agree...do not get sucked in. There's no logical ending to the discussion and progress won't be made by either side.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Agree...do not get sucked in. There's no logical ending to the discussion and progress won't be made by either side.
    What is wrong with a little bit of bible study?

If you were to help me understand the bible better I would be so truly thankful to you.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post

If you were to help me understand the bible better I would be so truly thankful to you.
    There is very little that most Christians can teach you. You've already demonstrated more knowledge of the Bible than what most Christians have.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with bible study at all. However, this is not bible study. This is, for the most part, the non-believers trying to catch the believers contradicting themselves. I'm more than happy to have a serious discussion with you (though I will not claim to be an expert) but if you'd really like to gain an understanding of it I'd recommend finding someone who has put in more time studying than I have.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    There is very little that most Christians can teach you. You've already demonstrated more knowledge of the Bible than what most Christians have.
    What's sad is you are absolutely right. And the reason is that many people are so intent on disproving, or finding contradictions (as you're proving) that they put a lot of time into "educating" themselves in order to do nothing more than try to dissuade people from their faith. Really, really sad.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Nothing wrong with bible study at all. However, this is not bible study. This is, for the most part, the non-believers trying to catch the believers contradicting themselves. I'm more than happy to have a serious discussion with you (though I will not claim to be an expert) but if you'd really like to gain an understanding of it I'd recommend finding someone who has put in more time studying than I have.
    No doubt that there is a bit of that going on.

However, it isn’t necessarily the Christian that is contradicting themselves. It is often the bible that contradicts what our belief about the nature of God to be.

For example, I have often been told that God is an omniscient being and is perfect and loving. I can’t get past the book of Genesis without having that view of God crumble.

From a philosophical perspective the story of the great flood carries a lot of implications to God’s nature and omniscience.

God became disappointed with mankind and decided to kill them all except for one family. Being omniscient he would have known that he would again become disappointed with mankind, rendering his reset of mankind pointless.

Plus, I know we are not supposed to question God’s plan but that seems brutal and cruel to drown everyone because he created them flawed to begin with and is ultimately responsible for mankind’s imperfections.

This leads me to believe that either God is not omniscient or he is brutally cruel and not perfect. However, for me there is another option; the story is not true and is just a myth from the Bronze Age.

If you have another view of that story, I’m interested in hearing it and I promise not to criticize you if you do share it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

No doubt that there is a bit of that going on.

However, it isn’t necessarily the Christian that is contradicting themselves. It is often the bible that contradicts what our belief about the nature of God to be.

For example, I have often been told that God is an omniscient being and is perfect and loving. I can’t get past the book of Genesis without having that view of God crumble.

From a philosophical perspective the story of the great flood carries a lot of implications to God’s nature and omniscience.

God became disappointed with mankind and decided to kill them all except for one family. Being omniscient he would have known that he would again become disappointed with mankind, rendering his reset of mankind pointless.

Plus, I know we are not supposed to question God’s plan but that seems brutal and cruel to drown everyone because he created them flawed to begin with and is ultimately responsible for mankind’s imperfections.

This leads me to believe that either God is not omniscient or he is brutally cruel and not perfect. However, for me there is another option; the story is not true and is just a myth from the Bronze Age.

If you have another view of that story, I’m interested in hearing it and I promise not to criticize you if you do share it.
    All of this is why I don't "study" the bible, especially since there is no doubt that much has been lost in translation over the years. I live by what I have determined is the bible's message to me.

As far as God being "perfect", that is also open to interpretation. He is jealous. Does that make him imperfect? I don't know. I know that if he created everything and sees/knows everything than he has a right to be a little arrogant and jealous. Again, I don't know if that makes him imperfect. I also believe that all of His creations are perfect or, as the bible states, "good". This doesn't mean that His creations can't become flawed (especially humans).

And to answer your question, yes, he does know that he "would again become disappointed with mankind" which is why we know the earth will once again be destroyed. But, instead of doing it in the manner it happened with Noah, he has given US the choice, this time, of who will be "saved" and has told us how to make that happen. I guess, for Christians, we consider Jesus our "Ark" and we are hoping we do the right things to get the boarding pass.