Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experts: Tape test has huge margin of error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Experts: Tape test has huge margin of error

"Ahh Chief! Where is your spirit of volunteering??

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WINTHORP1 View Post
    If you really want to enforce the rules, you need to have people outside your command administer the PRT. It should be a second class and an ensign. Keep the E-7's out of the equation. The second class isn't really worried about making E-7 at the time and the ensign doesn't have an loyalties to worry about. Or, you could go completely crazy and have civilians do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The ensign would have to be an LDO. I think any other ensign would be easily intimidated by senior officers.
    I have seen that happen.. a brand new out of the academy O1 being the push-up watcher for an O3E got 'brow beat' into saying that the O3E completed 54 push ups, when he barely hit 30 (I was pacing him as i was next to him). I spoke up, but it seemed my comments fell on deaf ears, and that officer gave me shit for a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WINTHORP1 View Post
    If you really want to enforce the rules, you need to have people outside your command administer the PRT. It should be a second class and an ensign. Keep the E-7's out of the equation. The second class isn't really worried about making E-7 at the time and the ensign doesn't have an loyalties to worry about. Or, you could go completely crazy and have civilians do it. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. If you started "working out" 2-3 weeks before the PRT, anyone in the Navy could pass. And if you couldn't, then you truly are out of shape and need to be discharged.
    The Air Force tried the civilian route, due to the same issues (complete lack of integrity with units testing their own personnel). IMHO it was generally a success, but of course commanders hated it, and there were the inevitable muscle heads that got the position whose judgement was seriously lacking and if your elbows only hit "89.9°" instead of 90°, your pushups didn't count and silly shit like that. In the end, budget cuts killed the positions and we're back to detailing it out. But the testing centers are still centralized and evaluators are not supposed to test people from their own unit. I support doing it this way, because I've seen too many fatties getting hooked up by their buddies or numbers getting changed internal to the unit when they were entered in to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I have seen that happen.. a brand new out of the academy O1 being the push-up watcher for an O3E got 'brow beat' into saying that the O3E completed 54 push ups, when he barely hit 30 (I was pacing him as i was next to him). I spoke up, but it seemed my comments fell on deaf ears, and that officer gave me shit for a week.

Another reason why centralized testing under the supervision of someone not in the chain of command works. When the O3 started giving the O1 shit, whoever was running the program could have shut it down and recorded the true number.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    In the case of Rusty's 300 pound guy - I'll bet he wouldn't pass an honest tape either. Wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging that too.
    Maybe, but this guy's neck looked fat enough to put him right in standards. It would would've actually made for a fun bet. I knew quite a few fatasses with big necks like that, that used to brag about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your body fat isn't stopping you from being able to do x number of crunches, y number of pushups, a running in z amount of time; then why should it matter in the first place? But if they feel that measuring body fat is an absolute must, then they need to use calipers.
    To a point, that may be true. Back in 81, I was given a TDY assignment, between schools, on a Knox class fast frigate. We had a fellow that I worked with, down in Aux 1, who was ~5'-6" tall, and easily weighed 250 pounds, which he carried pretty much exclusively around his mid-section. On the occasions when he had to pass through a scuttle, he literally had to roll his fat through, in order to make it!!

We told him, in no uncertain terms, that if we ever had to evacuate the space due to a casualty, he would be the LAST man in line! No one wanted to wait for him to squeeze his roll through a scuttle, if seconds counted!! uttahere:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe, but this guy's neck looked fat enough to put him right in standards. It would would've actually made for a fun bet. I knew quite a few fatasses with big necks like that, that used to brag about it.
    I was always the opposite, small neck, yet I was an avid weightlifter. luckily for me, when we would weigh and tape i just lifted up my shirt and that was enough to see I wasn't fat. Of course this was because there were individuals involved with common sense.

I saw many fat ass SNCOs that in no way met standards, yet their "PFT" somehow occured at a different time then the rest, go figure...
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC0341 View Post
    I was always the opposite, small neck, yet I was an avid weightlifter. luckily for me, when we would weigh and tape i just lifted up my shirt and that was enough to see I wasn't fat. Of course this was because there were individuals involved with common sense.

I saw many fat ass SNCOs that in no way met standards, yet their "PFT" somehow occured at a different time then the rest, go figure...
    We had 2 guys who were getting the stink finger from their chains for 'being fat' even though both benched an average of 350lb, ran the mile and a half in just over 10.30, and maxed out both the situps and pull ups.. All cause their bulk was mostly muscle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The tape test isn't the only margin for error. When I re-joined the Navy recently, my first PFA height measurement put me at 5' 6". Six months later, I'm 5' 8". Another six months, and I'm 5' 9". Who could've imagined I'd get a second growth spurt well into my 30s! Must be something in the water.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squid View Post
    The tape test isn't the only margin for error. When I re-joined the Navy recently, my first PFA height measurement put me at 5' 6". Six months later, I'm 5' 8". Another six months, and I'm 5' 9". Who could've imagined I'd get a second growth spurt well into my 30s! Must be something in the water.
    "Sitin on ones A$$ for 6 month at sea and only kissinA$$ for promotion tends to do that, just ask 'Rusty Wheel with no-one to grease it'!":blowjob:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Yea;drivin a hack will make you 'Rusty around the belt!" LOL!!mfg: