Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?

As a young 1Lt, I was as an intelligence analyst at NASIC. I wrote in my draft document that because we know "A" and "B", and "A + B = C", then "C" is likely to happen. Then I sent it up the intel community food chain for review then went on leave for a couple of weeks. When I came back, I found out that some springbutt Major in the DC area had tried to get me arrested for a major security violation because stating "C" was likely to happen was classified at a level far above what my document was supposed to be classified at. Fortunately, my leadership was able to produce my analysis notes to show how I concluded "C" was likely to happen because we knew "A" and "B" at the appropriate levels of classification. Now satisfied, the Major directed I change my report to read "C" might happen.

That Major later chastised me in the final review of the document for having 31 "em" dashes in my report that should have been "en" dashes. Our office had to look up what "em" and "en" dashes were. After I PCA'd to my next job, he badmouthed me at the kickoff meeting for the next version of the document saying it was the worst piece of intelligence analysis work he'd ever seen, only to get reamed in front of his leadership by the MAJCOM GS-15/Retired O-6 customer who said the best piece of intelligence analysis he'd seen was the version I wrote before the Major directed all of the changes that took out all the information the MAJCOM customers needed, and if the final product was bad, the Major owned that for directing drastic changes, and that the Major should quit telling the field what they needed in the report and stick to his job of validating the content of the analysis. He ended up retiring as a Major.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

JD2780

Nope, I pretty much deserved what I got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?"

Its called being married dude.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    "Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?"

Its called being married dude.
    Once again, still got what I deserved. I married her, I deserve what I got.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I love this!

It reminds of that trial they put Charlton Heston on in Planet of the Apes.
    Yep. Definate WTF moment.

I had another supervisor tell me when I was a SSgt that he didn't like questions, that he expected his SSgts to figure out things for themselves, nevermind that I was brand new to the section and that portion of our job. He gave me an assignment, I didn't know what he wanted - and couldn't ask due to his guidance - so I gave him my best guess as to what it was after dragging it out as long as possible while I tried to figure it out. I guessed wrong & got my butt reamed for "not wanting to do it". Sigh. Once my super found out my side of the story - which the supervisor never bothered to ask - the supervisor was fired.

I always thought that was the Chinese finger trap of advice since the more you struggled against it the tighter it got.

Also had someone try to explain an EPR rating to me that merged all the blocks together. Essentially, because Amn Johnny needed improvement in 1 area, he was marked down in every single block. Johnny needed to brush up on his work skills in 1 area - and not severely, I might add, so he was lacking in standards, training, teamwork, etc too. The guy would've wound up with a 3 EPR for a one time minor failing had I not intervened.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    As a young 1Lt, I was as an intelligence analyst at NASIC. I wrote in my draft document that because we know "A" and "B", and "A + B = C", then "C" is likely to happen. Then I sent it up the intel community food chain for review then went on leave for a couple of weeks. When I came back, I found out that some springbutt Major in the DC area had tried to get me arrested for a major security violation because stating "C" was likely to happen was classified at a level far above what my document was supposed to be classified at. Fortunately, my leadership was able to produce my analysis notes to show how I concluded "C" was likely to happen because we knew "A" and "B" at the appropriate levels of classification. Now satisfied, the Major directed I change my report to read "C" might happen.

That Major later chastised me in the final review of the document for having 31 "em" dashes in my report that should have been "en" dashes. Our office had to look up what "em" and "en" dashes were. After I PCA'd to my next job, he badmouthed me at the kickoff meeting for the next version of the document saying it was the worst piece of intelligence analysis work he'd ever seen, only to get reamed in front of his leadership by the MAJCOM GS-15/Retired O-6 customer who said the best piece of intelligence analysis he'd seen was the version I wrote before the Major directed all of the changes that took out all the information the MAJCOM customers needed, and if the final product was bad, the Major owned that for directing drastic changes, and that the Major should quit telling the field what they needed in the report and stick to his job of validating the content of the analysis. He ended up retiring as a Major.
    We have a civilian high in our chain who did the same thing. Like the war will be lost over what type of freaking dash to use. I never knew there where even types of dashes prior to that.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Tak

Okay, remembered another...Table of leadership was deciding who was gonna brief a group...
    The army DS says, well it cant be XXX becuase theyll be wondering why we have a huge
    fat azz SES general equiv in this command...gotta love the army for keeping it real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got an LOC on my SECOND day at a new duty station. I got to the base in early evening and moved into the dorms and was inprocessing the next day when the 1Sgt inspected my dorm room. It was a total mess so I got an LOC. That was definitely a WTF moment. I was young and ignorant so I didn't say anything.

I also got in trouble for not picking up cigarette butts out in front of my work building. It was my week for cleaning up around the building. They didn't give me gloves or anything... just had to pick them up and put them in the butt can. So I didn't do it all week and no one said anything till the 1Sgt (same one) showed up with an LOR. My supervisor told him she'd handle it. The next day an email was sent saying that picking up butts was no longer part of the clean up and that the commander didn't want airmen cleaning them up if his people couldn't be responsible enough to dispose of them correctly. The next week the butt can was totally gone.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah....during my three-year sentence at NSA. Had been given a very nebulous thing to work on. Never was able to get enough elaboration on it, so got some folks together, did what I could. Briefed my part of it to some assembled group chiefs and our AF two-star resident in the building. Some no-good son-of-a-bitch who was a group chief started giving me a bunch of crap about our work. As much as I wanted to cold-cock the swine, I stayed professional in my reactions, but it was definitely a WTF moment. Afterward the two-star somewhat apologized offline for the asshole's behavior. Am sure the group chief in question has retired. Hopefully he either has died, is dying, or will die slowly and in agony. Just another reason why I was happy to see Fort Meade in my rear-view mirror upon escaping in 1995.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got an LOR as a MSgt because some of the colors on the slides that came out of my office were wrong. I'm colorblind, so not a good person to proof a colored slide. The guy who gave it was a real (and still is I assume) douchebag, I wasn't trying to make rank and didn't care much about my EPR, so I was going to write a real smartass rebuttal. I thought better and went ahead and wrote a "proper" rebuttal. Not so much WTF trouble, but more WGAS trouble.