Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Coast
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Not stupid at all. Term limitations put second-term incumbents in a "nothing to lose" situation, in which they'll do whatever the hell they want because they know that they're not up for reelection anyway.
    Well said Rusty! If you can't figure it out in 8 years time to go home.

  2. #12
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    The unemployment stats are already so screwed up anyway. Not taking stats, as mentioned, is a stupid idea. Just as stupid as not counting those who no longer file and have given up looking for work.

    Now that I think about it I'm not really sure how the stat really helps, though. Other than for political posturing who, and how, does it help to know if we are at 4% or 14%...other than Wall Street? (This question is NOT an argument, just an honest question seeking more knowledge of who the stat actually helps).

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The unemployment stats are already so screwed up anyway. Not taking stats, as mentioned, is a stupid idea. Just as stupid as not counting those who no longer file and have given up looking for work.

    Now that I think about it I'm not really sure how the stat really helps, though. Other than for political posturing who, and how, does it help to know if we are at 4% or 14%...other than Wall Street? (This question is NOT an argument, just an honest question seeking more knowledge of who the stat actually helps).
    Unemployment rates go up and down over time, as part of the normal economic cycle. Before keynesian economics were invented after the Great Depression, America had frequent and devastating recessions over and over again. Your unemployment rate determines what we need to do in terms of monetary policy (How much more money we need to print).

  4. #14
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    How do you figure? Especially since we're talking class, not political party. That's like saying "Christianity is the dominant vegetable."



    Again... this is just the latest salvo in the attack against the federal government. Or specifically, the elements of the federal government that benefits the average joe.
    Joe, without a strong central government no 'ruling class' or whatever you decide to call a minority who holds power and wealth can not sustain their control on anything. How do you figure your 'ruling class' will do so without the federal government they are trying to 'eliminate'?
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Joe, without a strong central government no 'ruling class' or whatever you decide to call a minority who holds power and wealth can not sustain their control on anything. How do you figure your 'ruling class' will do so without the federal government they are trying to 'eliminate'?
    How do you figure? The American ruling class pre-dates the Federal government. They seemed to get along just fine without it. In fact, the Southern ruling class fought a war to try to break away from the Federal Government.

  6. #16
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    How do you figure? The American ruling class pre-dates the Federal government. They seemed to get along just fine without it. In fact, the Southern ruling class fought a war to try to break away from the Federal Government.
    Both examples you cited HAD strong governments backing up the 'ruling class' (to use your terminology). I seem to be missing the point you are attempting to make.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Both examples you cited HAD strong governments backing up the 'ruling class' (to use your terminology). I seem to be missing the point you are attempting to make.
    Not sure what you're referring to as my second example (unless you're referring to an earlier post that I've forgotten) - but the Southern aristocracy had strong STATE and LOCAL governments - which ran like totalitarian regimes.

    I'm by no means saying the Federal government isn't manipulated by the rich - it definitely is. But it has the benefit of offering at least some limited protection for the poor. We already know what this country was like before the expansion of the Federal government - it was a mess. I would suggest some extra red tape is worth not getting burned out by Pinkertons because you wouldn't sell your ranch for half its value to the large landowner down river.

  8. #18
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to as my second example (unless you're referring to an earlier post that I've forgotten) - but the Southern aristocracy had strong STATE and LOCAL governments - which ran like totalitarian regimes.

    I'm by no means saying the Federal government isn't manipulated by the rich - it definitely is. But it has the benefit of offering at least some limited protection for the poor. We already know what this country was like before the expansion of the Federal government - it was a mess. I would suggest some extra red tape is worth not getting burned out by Pinkertons because you wouldn't sell your ranch for half its value to the large landowner down river.
    You cited your ruling class prior to the federal government which would mean prior to 1787 (example one); the CSA would be example two.

    Joe, your premise is flawed. No minority 'ruling class' in history has ever held power for long without a strong central government to back them up.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    You cited your ruling class prior to the federal government which would mean prior to 1787 (example one); the CSA would be example two.
    What I meant was the CSA was an attempt to break away from a strong Federal government and go back to a system where the states held almost all of the power.

    Joe, your premise is flawed. No minority 'ruling class' in history has ever held power for long without a strong central government to back them up.
    What do you base this premise on? The very idea of a central government is extremely new in history. Local governments are just fine for keeping the working class subordinate.

  10. #20
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: GOP Solution to Unemployment: Don't measure it

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    What I meant was the CSA was an attempt to break away from a strong Federal government and go back to a system where the states held almost all of the power.



    What do you base this premise on? The very idea of a central government is extremely new in history. Local governments are just fine for keeping the working class subordinate.
    I will start with Rome..........................
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •