Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Ask Don't Tell is Coming Back

JD2780

Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell is Coming Back

I knew JB would piss his pants with happiness over this BS. Oh and by the way, God is all about helping the oppressed even if it means killing. Do some more reading. I'm all for them opening a change of command or anything else for that matter with a prayer to Allah. Im a christian and I believe what I want. While the individual up there is praying to allah, I can pray to my God. Not a huge deal.

So dont ask dont tell is repealled, which I'm good with. Im glad people dont have the stress of hiding who they are now. Now I need to keep my mouth shut and not tell somebody I'm a christian? Im not going on a soap box in the Sq demanding folks repent or face the wrath of God, but my coworkers and I have had discussions about religion, and about biblical text.

I have a feeling this will be struck down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    And nobody in the military is forcing you to either, correct? But for some reason, they want to make a big deal about this.
    Next dining out, change of command, promotion ceremony, wing run, etc I'm going to take the podium and drone on for 5 minutes about atheism. Those that don't like it, they can just sit (or stand) quietly and listen to it. I'm also going to have a Darwin Lunch, use base facilities for it, and have CC's send out invites to their troops via official email. I'm going to email invitations to my subordinates for the American Atheist national convention. Then I'm going to put in an AFI that people should seek to be logically fullfilled. I'm also going to put the atomic atheist symbol on the base water tower. But, hey, I'm not forcing anyone to believe it.

Still feel the same way? Now relax, I'm not going to do any of that. I wouldn't even if I could. It's one thing to share your faith - or lack of it - when asked or to be open about who you are. It's another to run screaming through the halls with it. It's like the folks who set up roadside stands with pamphlets or rent a billboard vs. those who knock on your door at 0700 on a Saturday. One is OK, the other is really freaking annoying.

That's what this guidance is about. That difference between passive and active faith. That line between existing and practicing your beliefs, and interferring with the rights of others in the workplace.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Next dining out, change of command, promotion ceremony, wing run, etc I'm going to take the podium and drone on for 5 minutes about atheism. Those that don't like it, they can just sit (or stand) quietly and listen to it. I'm also going to have a Darwin Lunch, use base facilities for it, and have CC's send out invites to their troops via official email. I'm going to email invitations to my subordinates for the American Atheist national convention. Then I'm going to put in an AFI that people should seek to be logically fullfilled. I'm also going to put the atomic atheist symbol on the base water tower. But, hey, I'm not forcing anyone to believe it.

Still feel the same way? Now relax, I'm not going to do any of that. I wouldn't even if I could. It's one thing to share your faith - or lack of it - when asked or to be open about who you are. It's another to run screaming through the halls with it. It's like the folks who set up roadside stands with pamphlets or rent a billboard vs. those who knock on your door at 0700 on a Saturday. One is OK, the other is really freaking annoying.

That's what this guidance is about. That difference between passive and active faith. That line between existing and practicing your beliefs, and interferring with the rights of others in the workplace.
    perfectly put...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    I don't know....always a prayer during every military gathering thanking God and whatnot. Have even had prayers before/during Commander Calls. Didn't Bush say that God wanted us to invade Iraq and defeat evildoers or some shit too? Something like that....Anyways, military should be and was designed to be a completely sterile environment. No religion. Shouldn't even be talked about anywhere but in the home or at church.

Go and suggest an opening prayer to Allah at the next Squadron party and let me know what the Christians say then.
    Somebody was forcing you to pray? Somehow I doubt that. In reality, I imagine that you just simply stood there quitely, along with others who believe as you do, while others prayed to whatever higher authority they believe in. You did nothing different than you would have if asked to participate in a moment of silence for people that have been killed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"You shall not murder."
    Exodus 20:13

Wow! I can read!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Glad you're are an expert on what is being proposed, but what you just claimed was the intent of this guidance is and what this article says are in conflict.

This regulation would severely limit expressions of faith in the military, even on a one-to-one basis between close friends. It could also effectively abolish the position of chaplain in the military, as it would not allow chaplains (or any service members, for that matter), to say anything about their faith that others say led them to think they were being encouraged to make faith part of their life. It’s difficult to imagine how a member of the clergy could give spiritual counseling without saying anything that might be perceived in that fashion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    Somebody was forcing you to pray? Somehow I doubt that. In reality, I imagine that you just simply stood there quitely, along with others who believe as you do, while others prayed to whatever higher authority they believe in. You did nothing different than you would have if asked to participate in a moment of silence for people that have been killed.
    Then why not just have a moment of silence? How about a Satanic prayer and the Christians can just stand there silently? I wonder how that would sit with them?

Tak

"You shall not murder."
    Exodus 20:13

Wow! I can read!
    Exodus 21:24 King James Version (KJV)

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Exodus 21:24 King James Version (KJV)

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
    Wow, contadiction....Imagine that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then why not just have a moment of silence? How about a Satanic prayer and the Christians can just stand there silently? I wonder how that would sit with them?
    Would it make you feel better if they specifically pointed to you and said, "You my friend, please feel free to take a moment of silence while those of us who beleive in God say a short prayer"?...Since you're obviously butt hurt about it.