Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

I came across this and had to wonder, do people REALLY believe that if a homosexual fails at something it is due to discrimmination?

"Country music fans are notorious for excommunicating those whom they perceive as undesirable (see Wright, Chely)."

The FACTS are that she had a few hits in the late '90s early '00s...in '03 her label dropped her because her record sales sucked...she released a record independantly in '04...got picked up by a label in '05 that did ok...released another one in '08-the first single from that one didn't make the airwaves until '10.

She came out in '10....she previously had a very public tryst with Brad Paisley (in '00)...

So the question is, did her coming out in 2010 really CAUSE her failure as a country music artist? OR is she a failed country music artist that just happens to be gay?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

I believe Chely Wright was referring to corporate Nashville, not necessarily her fans. I'm sure she did lose some fans when she came out, but I don't think it was really that many. And I certainly don't think that other country artists just started hating her when they woke up one morning. The fact is that she was not really relevent in Nashville when she came out so other artists probably just left it alone.

The Dixie Chicks made a very highly publicized comment about our president while in a foreign country, at a time when emotions were still high about 9/11 and the war. Most of the outrage was ridiculous, but the fans were the ones coming out with the hate, not corporate Nashville. I think they were even nominated for a country music award that year...

To answer the original question: yes, some people feel that failure is linked to discrimination. But other people don't feel that way. I think it all boils down to whether or not the person looks for discimination or not in the situation. Have they witnessed actual discrimination that caused the failure, or are they looking for it?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She came out with a cd call "Bumper of my SUV" if I remember it correctly. She did go around doing the whole USO tour back in 2004/2005 with that cd. She is a good singer, but I just don't think looking back now that she was a exceptional singer. She kept us entertained definitively and I actually bought the cd because it had a couple good songs on it.

But that is not what led to her bad career. I just believe she wasn't pop enough for today's country female singers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like Chely Wright but it wasn't until after she came out and I watched the documentary, "Wish Me Away." I think think the question the OP asks is too narrow in its scope and definitely intention. To say Chely Wright country music career tanked because she came out as gay is the absolute wrong question. The real question is, "At what price?" Being GLBT in a homophobic society has a variety of disadvantages, from employment discrimination to not being your mates legal next-of-kin, everything in-between and finally the ultimate indignity--being murdered because of your sexuality.

I think the CNN story mentioned Chely Wright in the broader context I outlined here. The other 'costs' include but are not limited to, internalized homophobia, shame , family estrangement and all the psychological effects that has on one's performance not only at work but in LIFE. The price for being GLBT one pays in cultures and societies where it's considered a "sin" or "unnatural" etc., is a high price indeed--sometime death. GLBT teens are 20 times more likely to commit suicide than straight teens.

Ultimately as a society, we must ask ourselves, what price do we all pay when a particular class of citizens who run the gamut of unspectacular to extraordinary (same as other classes of people) are treated differently and less-than? We all lose when we don't embrace the amazing spectrum of difference that makes our species so very special.

Chely Wright "Never Love You Enough"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You giggle every time you say 'cockpit'

-David Letterman "Top Ten ways to know you might not be ready to join the USAF"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Elton John, Freddy Mercury, etc, etc, etc...to blame the "failure" of a music career on sexual preference is naive (though I'll give you that these guys already had established careers).

A homosexual finding it difficult in country music is no different than a white guy finding it difficult in R & B. These two music brands have specific audiences (as do other genres). If the listeners don't agree with the lifestyle or the stereotype of the lifestyle then they aren't going to listen. There are several excellent Christian Rock bands out there who play very good music. I'm sure that non-Christians don't spend a whole lot of time listening to it. There is no blame on anyone.

It's no different than my wife giving up Brad Pitt movies because she feels he wronged Jennifer Aniston. Silly comparison I'll grant you, but same basis.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Elton John, Freddy Mercury, etc, etc, etc...to blame the "failure" of a music career on sexual preference is naive (though I'll give you that these guys already had established careers).

A homosexual finding it difficult in country music is no different than a white guy finding it difficult in R & B. These two music brands have specific audiences (as do other genres). If the listeners don't agree with the lifestyle or the stereotype of the lifestyle then they aren't going to listen. There are several excellent Christian Rock bands out there who play very good music. I'm sure that non-Christians don't spend a whole lot of time listening to it. There is no blame on anyone.

It's no different than my wife giving up Brad Pitt movies because she feels he wronged Jennifer Aniston. Silly comparison I'll grant you, but same basis.
    Exactly.. There are some singers i can't stand, who are gay, or lesbian, while others who are that way i like a lot. Depends on how good of a song selection they have..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    My wife refuses to watch anything with Mel Gibson in it because of his anti-semitism.
    I've given up caring. I watch it all. Same with sports figures. I'm pretty sure that if I were to look into the background of any of those people I'd find something I disagree with. There personal lives don't matter to me. Are you a good actor/athlete/etc, then I'll watch. Otherwise the only thing I'd do is sit around and read RFD books (assuming there's nothing too dark in his background).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gotta give it to him, even if he isn't gay, Jason Collins is friggin brilliant... Extended his career a bit just by playing the gay card.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Gotta give it to him, even if he isn't gay, Jason Collins is friggin brilliant... Extended his career a bit just by playing the gay card.

Who is Jason Collins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Who is Jason Collins?
    NBA player. Was ok, not great. On the downhill slide...looking for one more contract before he retires.... Came out as gay a couple of weeks ago...would bet $$ that no team will refuse him now!!!

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings