Is there something wrong with that?
    Yes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    No one signed him yet.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/jenkins...ob-4822928.php

I don't really follow the NBA close to know if this is a guy that should be signed, but isn't...or if he's just not good enough to be signed at his age.
    It apparently doesn't matter if he is good enough or not because the overriding factor is that he is gay;

"few people would care about the job prospects of a 34-year-old backup center at the end of his career, but Collins is obviously much more than that. Since he came out in April, people have been waiting for the time he would make history as step on the court as an openly gay player."

"It's is still premature to say that Collins being unsigned is a reaction to him being openly gay. On the other hand, that perception will grow if he never plays basketball again, and this is something the NBA will have to face, true or not."
    http://www.outsports.com/2013/9/24/4...ng-camps-start
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what? He's gay. Can he still play as good as when he was in top form? If not, there are hundreds, if not several thousand players to choose from.
    There are certain factors that teams must be blind to: age (21+ only), race, religion, ethical background, sexual preference, political background, citizenship (green cards/visas are required though), long term illness(e.g Magic Johnson with AIDS) and disability. A team is looking for the best of the best.
    Any team (MLB, NBA, NFL, MLS, etc) will only chose the best of the best to fill their rosters. This is not discrimination, this is just making the cut. Veterans in any sport must be even better than the best. They need to be the role models for the younger players and be leaders of the team.
    You have no added advantage simply because your gay, just like the guy who is color blind has no add advantage.
    Jason Collins only disadvantage is the physical toll of many years playing in the NBA (being average at best) and competiting against newly fresh graduated college players (drafted or undrafted) fighting for a spot. Good luck with that.
    Although age doesn't play a factor, if I were an NBA team GM, I'd probably get more out of a new college kid than I would from Jason Collins. Plus, I don't think Jason Collins has the leadership qualities veterans in the game have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humor;
    A. Back off and let those men who want to marry men, marry men.

B. Allow those women who want to marry women, marry women.

C. Allow those folks who want to abort their babies, abort their babies.

D. In three generations, there will be no Democrats.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Elton John, Freddy Mercury, etc, etc, etc...to blame the "failure" of a music career on sexual preference is naive (though I'll give you that these guys already had established careers).

A homosexual finding it difficult in country music is no different than a white guy finding it difficult in R & B. These two music brands have specific audiences (as do other genres). If the listeners don't agree with the lifestyle or the stereotype of the lifestyle then they aren't going to listen. There are several excellent Christian Rock bands out there who play very good music. I'm sure that non-Christians don't spend a whole lot of time listening to it. There is no blame on anyone.

It's no different than my wife giving up Brad Pitt movies because she feels he wronged Jennifer Aniston. Silly comparison I'll grant you, but same basis.
    Exactly.. There are some singers i can't stand, who are gay, or lesbian, while others who are that way i like a lot. Depends on how good of a song selection they have..