Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gay+Failure=Discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    There aren't a LOT of GLBT country singers but it is hardly unprecedented... K.D. Land used to be a country singer and Kristen Hall was a founding member of Sugarland....

Why have no country music stars come out in support of her? Might want to check your facts because Mary Chapin Carpenter, LeAnn Rimes and SHeDAISY have come out publicaly in support of her...She also says several others told her privately that they support her. I don't often listen to regular radio so I will have to defer to your analysis on that but...I definately agree that there isn't much controversial country music these days...used to have "Outlaw Country" but it is all pretty "pop-esque" these days....

The last, I kind of agree but more with your last sentance than the rest...
    My lack of support from other country artists comment was based on the somewhat dated information from the documentary "Wish Me Away." I am glad to hear some country artists have come out publicly as well as privately in support of Chely's revelation. Insofar as my characterization of country music and it's business, I stand by my statements. Chely has since left Nashville her home for some 20 years and currently resides in NYC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You giggle every time you say 'cockpit'

-David Letterman "Top Ten ways to know you might not be ready to join the USAF"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F4CrewChick View Post
    My lack of support from other country artists comment was based on the somewhat dated information from the documentary "Wish Me Away." I am glad to hear some country artists have come out publicly as well as privately in support of Chely's revelation. Insofar as my characterization of country music and it's business, I stand by my statements. Chely has since left Nashville her home for some 20 years and currently resides in NYC.
    Not a problem... I get where she felt at BEST ignored. I get that. However, her failure as a country music artist happened long before she came out. Am I shocked that Brad Paisley didn't come to her defense? Hell no. It may be petty but when a guy is kicked to the curb and THEN she comes out as a lesbian....not really great for the ego. Nor would I expect a female to come out and support a guy that ditched her to smoke pole....

My beef is that this toolbar at CNN used her as an example of how intolerant county music fans are and inferred that the resin she failed was because she was gay and that simply isn't true...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gotta give it to him, even if he isn't gay, Jason Collins is friggin brilliant... Extended his career a bit just by playing the gay card.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Gotta give it to him, even if he isn't gay, Jason Collins is friggin brilliant... Extended his career a bit just by playing the gay card.

Who is Jason Collins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Who is Jason Collins?
    NBA player. Was ok, not great. On the downhill slide...looking for one more contract before he retires.... Came out as gay a couple of weeks ago...would bet $$ that no team will refuse him now!!!

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

NBA player. Was ok, not great. On the downhill slide...looking for one more contract before he retires.... Came out as gay a couple of weeks ago...would bet $$ that no team will refuse him now!!!
    Oh, right...ok...Just forgot the name...guess he's a real trailblazer if I can forget who he is two weeks later. Definitely no Jackie Robinson.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    No one signed him yet.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/jenkins...ob-4822928.php

I don't really follow the NBA close to know if this is a guy that should be signed, but isn't...or if he's just not good enough to be signed at his age.
    I follow the NBA and had never heard of this guy....'til he came out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Okay, but he did play for 14 seasons...

So, for 14 years he was a guy that NBA teams thought they should sign, while you hadn't heard of him.
    My point is that it seems like his "coming out" is nothing more than to get press. I don't know whether he's any good or not. As you state, he's obviously good enough to sit on the bench for 14 years. And I'll be he'll soon have a book about his experiences. Nothing more than a publicity stunt, IMO.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

So, you think he's not really gay?
    Of course I do. I just think he came out strictly for publicity purposes.

Nothing wrong with writing a book and getting publicity...unless of course you think he's not really gay and is making this all up.
    Again, I think his coming out was strictly for the purpose of writing a book, not for the good of the gay community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there something wrong with that?
    Honestly it's smart marketing right now IMHO opinion. People with a lukewarm PR history throw out the "Gay Card" and suddenly they have a whole new support network promoting their status beyond what their talents made them capable of in the past. I think that will probably begin to wear off over the next decade or so. Enterprising entertainers will try to strike while the iron is "flaming" hot and come out while it can do the most good for their publicity and before it becomes just another thing. It's the same kind of publicity stunt that put Miley center stage for a previously unknown activity known as "twerking".
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison