Thread: PCS Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PCS Question

So I have a quick question for you guys. Maybe someone has been in the same boat or knows someone who was, but I am set to PCS on May 27th and my orders say I am bringing my dependants, however my dependants are no longer coming with me due to a pending divorce, Do I need to get my orders changed to say I am going unaccompanied? Because I know in the eyes of the Air Force, nothing is final until the papers are filed. Also, I have a daughter who will be staying with her mom, will I still get dependent BAH? This was just sprung on me last week and now I am panicking because I dont know how this will change everything.

Any Info is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn. :flame
    - Unknown

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :whip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: PCS Question

Until the divorce is final you will still get BAH for dependents as far as I know. I dont think you need to change your orders seeing as something could always change and until the divorce is final they are still your dependents (kids should always remain that way). You will keep that BAH as long as you still have some custody rights. Please dont take what I say as fact as I am sure each situation is different. I would focus on getting yourself there and set up before you worry about everything else.

Sorry to hear about the divorce. Good luck.

Tak

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman1234 View Post
    So I have a quick question for you guys. Maybe someone has been in the same boat or knows someone who was, but I am set to PCS on May 27th and my orders say I am bringing my dependants, however my dependants are no longer coming with me due to a pending divorce, Do I need to get my orders changed to say I am going unaccompanied? Because I know in the eyes of the Air Force, nothing is final until the papers are filed. Also, I have a daughter who will be staying with her mom, will I still get dependent BAH? This was just sprung on me last week and now I am panicking because I dont know how this will change everything.
    Any Info is appreciated.

Thanks!
    When I see your llama, all I can think about is jimmy neutrons friend Karl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your accompanied status affects tour length; however, until you are divorced if you elect not to take your dependants to a location that allows them, you'll still be required to serve the accompanied tour length, so there is no rush to get your orders changed for that reason.

As raider said, you'll stil get dependant rate BAH until divorce is final... problem is, you're going to still be required to provide support for your dependants, which may be difficult with you maintaining two households. Given you could have brought them, chances of getting dual BAH are slim.

Once the divorce is final, if you have court ordered child support, you'll be paid BAH-DIFF

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqbah.cfm#Q29

28. What is BAH-Diff?

BAH-DIFF is the housing allowance amount for a member who is assigned to single-type quarters and who is authorized a BAH solely by reason of the member's payment of child support. A member is not authorized BAH-DIFF if the monthly rate of that child support is less than the BAH-DIFF amount. The BAH-DIFF amounts, originally calculated in 1997, are updated annually based on changes in the Basic Pay tables. For more information contact your servicing finance office or consult JFTR, par. U10008.

29. I am divorced with children, what is my BAH allowance?

It depends on whether or not you have legal and physical custody of your children, pay child support, and/or live in single-type government quarters. If you have legal and physical custody of your children, then you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not assigned adequate family-type government quarters. If your former spouse has custody and you are paying adequate child support (at least in an amount of your BAH-DIFF rate) you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not in government quarters or BAH-DIFF if assigned single-type government quarters.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You do not need to amend your orders, but law dictates that the extra BAH you recieve above what someone without dependants would get needs to go to your wife.