Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Attacked

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boston Attacked

I'm sure most people have read the news by now. 2 dead and many others injured.

I'm a runner. I'm not a very good one, or a very fast one, but I do enjoy the sport. I though I might give the non runners out there an idea of what Boston means to us. Boston is arguably the pinnacle of marathon running worldwide, and is certainly the top race in the US. Due to high demand, it have to qualify to run Boston, and if you do believe me that earns you bragging rights. This year, 27k runners qualified and started the event, to give you an idea of numbers. Many of them sacrificed long hours of training, and many were raising money for charities. I don't think you'll ever find a more dedicated and open group of people than long distance runners. Competitive, heck yeah. But even if you're struggling in the back of the field (me) you'll get a kind word and applause when you cross the finish.

Ill never qualify,for boston anywhere but in my dreams, but that doesn't stop me from rooting for those that do, including 2 members of my run club (who, after anxious hours, reported in safe).

And its not just the runners. It takes organizers months of hard work and preparation for an event of this size. From fielding entries, to coordinating volunteers and working with the city to block off the route, a lot of people work hard - without being paid, I might add, to pull this off. No other sport does that. Not with that many participants and not with voluneteers.

So it really, really pisses me off some cowards decided to target my sport. And you know what? I'm not going to let them win. I'm still going to race. I'm still going to enjoy my sport and my community of fellow runners.

Give me liberty or give me death stopped being a history lesson for me today.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Boston Attacked

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I'm sure most people have read the news by now. 2 dead and many others injured.

I'm a runner. I'm not a very good one, or a very fast one, but I do enjoy the sport. I though I might give the non runners out there an idea of what Boston means to us. Boston is arguably the pinnacle of marathon running worldwide, and is certainly the top race in the US. Due to high demand, it have to qualify to run Boston, and if you do believe me that earns you bragging rights. This year, 27k runners qualified and started the event, to give you an idea of numbers. Many of them sacrificed long hours of training, and many were raising money for charities. I don't think you'll ever find a more dedicated and open group of people than long distance runners. Competitive, heck yeah. But even if you're struggling in the back of the field (me) you'll get a kind word and applause when you cross the finish.

Ill never qualify,for boston anywhere but in my dreams, but that doesn't stop me from rooting for those that do, including 2 members of my run club (who, after anxious hours, reported in safe).

And its not just the runners. It takes organizers months of hard work and preparation for an event of this size. From fielding entries, to coordinating volunteers and working with the city to block off the route, a lot of people work hard - without being paid, I might add, to pull this off. No other sport does that. Not with that many participants and not with voluneteers.

So it really, really pisses me off some cowards decided to target my sport. And you know what? I'm not going to let them win. I'm still going to race. I'm still going to enjoy my sport and my community of fellow runners.

Give me liberty or give me death stopped being a history lesson for me today.
    Sit down. If you think this way, you're going to be a loser. You're never going to make it because there is no never.

You've got to get up and say "I'm going to qualify for the Boston Marathon and I'll do whatever it takes. The amount of hours it takes, the this, the that, the visualization, looking at training footage, looking at motivational books, the reading, WHATEVER it takes. I will do." That is what I want to hear from you.

The hunger, you have to develop. You have to create a goal for yourself, a short term goal and a long term goal. You have to go after that goal. If you do not see it and you do not believe it, who else will?

The body is very important but the mind is even more important than the body. You have to visualize what the body must do to make it win because that's what then creates the will. The will that you need to run every day, the will that makes you go through the forced training sessions, the will that makes you go beyond the 10 miles when you can't take another step. It's the will that makes you go one more mile. It is all of this sort of mental aspect that motivates you and that makes the difference between you being in the gym full of joy and looking forward to taking that extra step and looking forward to running that extra mile and working past the pain barrier. That's all the mind. That's not the body. The body is very important but the mind is even more important than the body.

So you have to go to the track and feel like every step is getting you one step closer to your goal to make that vision that you have turn into reality.

To think that along the way you're not gonna fail then you're blind because there is no one that, no matter how succesful they are, has said that they have not had their failures along the way. The only way you can really know if you can run 26.2 miles is if you're willing to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you'll never grow. The people who go the furthest are the people that really don't care if they fail or if they make it. They're gonna take that risk because that's what you have to do.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Sit down. If you think this way, you're going to be a loser. You're never going to make it because there is no never.

You've got to get up and say "I'm going to qualify for the Boston Marathon and I'll do whatever it takes. The amount of hours it takes, the this, the that, the visualization, looking at training footage, looking at motivational books, the reading, WHATEVER it takes. I will do." That is what I want to hear from you.

The hunger, you have to develop. You have to create a goal for yourself, a short term goal and a long term goal. You have to go after that goal. If you do not see it and you do not believe it, who else will?

The body is very important but the mind is even more important than the body. You have to visualize what the body must do to make it win because that's what then creates the will. The will that you need to run every day, the will that makes you go through the forced training sessions, the will that makes you go beyond the 10 miles when you can't take another step. It's the will that makes you go one more mile. It is all of this sort of mental aspect that motivates you and that makes the difference between you being in the gym full of joy and looking forward to taking that extra step and looking forward to running that extra mile and working past the pain barrier. That's all the mind. That's not the body. The body is very important but the mind is even more important than the body.

So you have to go to the track and feel like every step is getting you one step closer to your goal to make that vision that you have turn into reality.

To think that along the way you're not gonna fail then you're blind because there is no one that, no matter how succesful they are, has said that they have not had their failures along the way. The only way you can really know if you can run 26.2 miles is if you're willing to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you'll never grow. The people who go the furthest are the people that really don't care if they fail or if they make it. They're gonna take that risk because that's what you have to do.
    My entire post and that's what you pick up on? Thanks for the entirely unwanted and unasked for advice.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My entire post and that's what you pick up on? Thanks for the entirely unwanted and unasked for advice.
    Yeah, no shit.

On topic, I'm surprised we haven't been hit in the US since 9/11. A major sporting event always seemed like a likely target. The difference with a marathon, is you have a large number of people hanging around (at the finish) but don't have to pass through security to get there. At other sports stadium there is security, even if it has grown relaxed over the years. We will now be back to more thorough checks.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Yeah, no shit.

On topic, I'm surprised we haven't been hit in the US since 9/11. A major sporting event always seemed like a likely target. The difference with a marathon, is you have a large number of people hanging around (at the finish) but don't have to pass through security to get there. At other sports stadium there is security, even if it has grown relaxed over the years. We will now be back to more thorough checks.
    They have had documentaries about what goes into the super bowl. There is a much that goes into the Boston Marathon as well, but not nearly as much obviously.

As for the gripe with the the post. Techno, you only mentioned the actual bombing in the end off your post. So he based his response off off the majority of your post. Take a deep breath dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, no shit.

Agreed... I am amazed every year that passes by that more events are not hit. It really is amazing, and as bad is it was in Boston, you can just imagine that it could have been much much worse.

Tak

No need to be amazed, just thank Bush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is not a very good reply to someone who was just trying to talk good to you. How about you ease up a bit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1 (and some more to have enough characters)

Edited to add - Boss, don't worry. I've seen enough of technomage1's posts to know he DID ease up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, no shit.

Coming to a conclusion about who did it?