Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone medal dumped; high-tech troops to be honored with device

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Drone medal dumped; high-tech troops to be honored with device

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...honored-device

I'm really glad to hear about this. Thank goodness for a measure of sanity. I wonder why the SECDEF didn't think this through before the medal was already approved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Drone medal dumped; high-tech troops to be honored with device

Glad it is gone. But if I am not mistaken it came into being before SECDEF Hagel took over.

Tak

Politics save the day, sad, its our only hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will be interesting to see what "device" they come up with (xbox controller?) and where they "stick it" (so to speak). Device on Bronze Star? (not likely given how much uproar there was over the original decoration) MSM/Commendation/Achievement Medal? Air Medal/Aerial Achievement?

And now were back to, "What's the point?"
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Will be interesting to see what "device" they come up with (xbox controller?) and where they "stick it" (so to speak). Device on Bronze Star? (not likely given how much uproar there was over the original decoration) MSM/Commendation/Achievement Medal? Air Medal/Aerial Achievement?

And now were back to, "What's the point?"
    Like every other medal, they're going to totally undermine the meaning and intent of the award by handing it out to every radio control pilot just for doing their job. I'm sure it'll become automatic like Longevity or Good Conduct medals. It'll be more like "Hey good job, you didn't crash your drone, here's a DMSM with a spiffy drone device" than the actual missions they fly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The medal was a good idea, the order of precedence was bad. Wonder what the "device" will be? Maybe a bronze mouse for cyber, joystick for RPAs, and a simple black square for intel.
    Wonder how much inflation we'll see...the enlisted receiving an AFAM w/device...the officer receiving an MSM w/device. There already has been aerial achievements given to the RPA world, so that precedent has already been set. For those that complain about the number of medals authorized, remember that the DoD had it right the first time...one medal (GWOT-E) for deployments (no matter where) and the GWOT-S for those supporting the effort from home station. But the troops complained and now we have a single deployment receiving 2-3 medals (not counting the decoration).
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Tak

I suggest just a drone coin to hand out, arcade style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I suggest just a drone coin to hand out, arcade style.
    Consider this a postive rep count towards you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Re: Drone medal dumped; high-tech troops to be honored with device

Who needs distinguishing devices?

Organizational politics now has a Distinguished Warfare Medal win-win compromise; all air shows are back on the calendar using money-saving Every Dollar Counts campaign.

:high5

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    It does seem like the Aerial Achievement Medal would have been a good (already existing) avenue to appropriately recognize UAS/UAV operators. There is precedent for this as well (http://www.fas.org/irp/news/1997/n19971201_971531.html)

My two cents: I don't disagree with recognizing the operators, but operating a UAS/UAV is not combat for the operator and should not be recognized as such.