Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who repeatedly fail their PT test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For those who repeatedly fail their PT test

Back in the winter of 2008, I had a troop that failed his PT test some 5 times in a row over a 1-2 year period. Now, I think if he couldn't/wouldn't pass his test that the commander certainly has the authority to discharge him. But this troop of mine lived in base housing and in Alaska at Elmendorf AFB. After he failed it for the last time, he was given 72 hours to collect his stuff and get the hell off the base. Thrown on to the streets with no house or job lined up. And in Alaska thousands of miles from home, which was Chicago for him. Shouldn't the commander have at least given him a ticket home via SATO travel and let him arrange with TMO to get his stuff out of base housing to be shipped back?

Do commanders still have the right to do this, no matter where the location is? I think it's really shitty he was made to move off base within 3 days with no job or prospects AND in Alaska!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: For those who repeatedly fail their PT test

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    Back in the winter of 2008, I had a troop that failed his PT test some 5 times in a row over a 1-2 year period. Now, I think if he couldn't/wouldn't pass his test that the commander certainly has the authority to discharge him. But this troop of mine lived in base housing and in Alaska at Elmendorf AFB. After he failed it for the last time, he was given 72 hours to collect his stuff and get the hell off the base. Thrown on to the streets with no house or job lined up. And in Alaska thousands of miles from home, which was Chicago for him. Shouldn't the commander have at least given him a ticket home via SATO travel and let him arrange with TMO to get his stuff out of base housing to be shipped back?

Do commanders still have the right to do this, no matter where the location is? I think it's really shitty he was made to move off base within 3 days with no job or prospects AND in Alaska!
    Im throwing up the BS flag here. If you read the AFI on administrative seperations you would know that a PT discharge is considered an honorable discharge unless there are other circumstances. You would also know that anyone with over 6 years of service is also entitled to 1/2 seperation pay. You would also know that anyone with an honorable discharge is entitled to full travel entitlements (including TMO move) to their home of record. While I am sure it is possible to separate someone in 3 days (though very difficult) you could not take away all entitlements. Honestly for most discharges the Amn is allowed longer than 3 days just to appeal. ADC would have been all over a case like you mentioned. This never happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm throwing the flag as well. Did not happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MedWeenie View Post
    I'm throwing the flag as well. Did not happen.
    Just for the Hell of it:

From AFI 36-208 (page 96)

5.65. Failure in the Fitness Program. Airmen who do not meet fitness standards in AFI 10-248, Fitness Program, (formerly AFIs 40-501 and 40-502) may be discharged when the failure in the fitness program resulted from a cause which was within their control. Follow the procedures for failure in the fitness program according to AFI 10-248 before starting action to discharge. Make sure the case file shows the record of those actions. NOTE: Administrative actions commenced on or before 31 Dec 03 may be executed to completion, using this paragraph and separation program designator (SPD) codes JCR, GCR, and HCR. Members who were notified in writing on or after 1 Jan 04 (as specified in AFI 10-248) IAW this directive will be separated using SPD codes JFT, GFT and HFT and paragraph 5.26.6.

From AFI 10-248 (page 29)

8.2.6. Administrative Separation. Commanders will make a discharge or retention recommendation
    to the Installation Commander when an individual remains in the poor fitness category for a continuous
    12-month period or receives four poor fitness assessments in a 24-month period. Commanders
    follow procedures in AFI 36-3206, Administrative Discharge Procedures for Commissioned Officers,
    or AFI 36-3208, Administrative Separation of Airmen.

Also from AFI 32-3608 (page 30)

Table 1.3. Reasons and Authority for Involuntary Separation.

Reason Authorizing Paragraph Characterization of Discharge
    14. Failure in the Fitness Program 5.65. Honorable or entry-level separation.

Tak

Once civilian they're owed nothing for not hacking it.

Case in post, had a troop get out when pregnant, my smsgt looked me square in
    Eyes and said "why the Fuck should we have a going away for a quitter?!?"

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Once civilian they're owed nothing for not hacking it.

Case in post, had a troop get out when pregnant, my smsgt looked me square in
    Eyes and said "why the Fuck should we have a going away for a quitter?!?"

Because retirees are quitters also yet we go through the hoops for their fat asses.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I want to be leaf!
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Tak

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Because retirees are quitters also yet we go through the hoops for their fat asses.
    Exactly, when a MSgt retires at 20 for himself rather
    Than give the man 24, he's a fat Ass quitter.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Exactly, when a MSgt retires at 20 for himself rather
    Than give the man 24, he's a fat Ass quitter.
    Exactly, no ceremony, no special medal.

Tak

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Exactly, no ceremony, no special medal.
    Ceremony is not official, its ceremonial.
    Medial is same as others, with different words on end.