Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge rules illegal imcompetent to stand trial

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Judge rules illegal imcompetent to stand trial

The illegal immigrant who was allegedly drunk driving when police say he hit and dragged a Milford man to his death has been ruled incompetent to stand trial, MyFoxBoston.com reported.

Judge Janet Kinton-Walker says Nicolas Guaman's "unique cultural background" and language barrier means that he doesn't understand the court process, the report said. The court also said that he lacks the ability to consult with his attorney properly.

Wow.. so even though he has a court appointed interpreter, AND he supposedly has had run ins with the courts in the past, his trial for DUI and vehicular manslaughter is held up??
    What the F is this judge smoking???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/11...o-stand-trial/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Judge rules illegal imcompetent to stand trial

The judge ordered Guaman's attorney to find an interpreter and educate him on the court process.
    Makes sense to me. Its not a fair trial if the defendant has no idea what's going on.

He's not walking free... this just means that they need an interpreter (which one would THINK somebody would have thought of already before going to trial)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    The illegal immigrant who was allegedly drunk driving when police say he hit and dragged a Milford man to his death has been ruled incompetent to stand trial, MyFoxBoston.com reported.

Judge Janet Kinton-Walker says Nicolas Guaman's "unique cultural background" and language barrier means that he doesn't understand the court process, the report said. The court also said that he lacks the ability to consult with his attorney properly.

Wow.. so even though he has a court appointed interpreter, AND he supposedly has had run ins with the courts in the past, his trial for DUI and vehicular manslaughter is held up??
    What the F is this judge smoking???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/11...o-stand-trial/
    You forget that illegals don't have to adhere to our laws but do receive protections of the constitution. Quiero abogado!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Makes sense to me. Its not a fair trial if the defendant has no idea what's going on.

He's not walking free... this just means that they need an interpreter (which one would THINK somebody would have thought of already before going to trial)
    The article didn't make sense...if he was ruled incompetent to stand trial, that generally means he wouldn't stand trial. That doesn't seem to be what happened. What seems to have acually happened was the judge delayed the trial until they could find an interpreter. What also doesn't make sense is how the heck does someone have a unique language?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You forget that illegals don't have to adhere to our laws but do receive protections of the constitution. Quiero abogado!
    You do realize of course that you are protected by the Constitution regardless of whether you follow the law... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    The article didn't make sense...if he was ruled incompetent to stand trial, that generally means he wouldn't stand trial. That doesn't seem to be what happened. What seems to have acually happened was the judge delayed the trial until they could find an interpreter. What also doesn't make sense is how the heck does someone have a unique language?
    Sounds like an error in fact on the part of Fox. The judge simply delayed the trial, which the reporter interpreted to mean "incompetent to stand trial", which I THINK would be false if if the only issue was the absence of an interpreter.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Both the news report and the tv spot on this mentioned he has been to court several times in the past though, with no issues in regards to interpreters/uniqueness of culture etc. So why was it all of suddenly important now?

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Both the news report and the tv spot on this mentioned he has been to court several times in the past though, with no issues in regards to interpreters/uniqueness of culture etc. So why was it all of suddenly important now?
    Because he is no longer an illegal alien but an documented immigrant. Is massoftwoshits. That's the legal system there for you. Look at Obamas moronic uncle. Not tying to Obama, that's just how people know him.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    You do realize of course that you are protected by the Constitution regardless of whether you follow the law... right?

Yes, but I'm also required to follow the law or face the consequences.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Yes, but I'm also required to follow the law or face the consequences.
    You do realize that when you face the consequences you're still protected by the Constitution, right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There is a lot more to this story...

1) The accused did not have a license, and this should be obvious since even a moderate knowledge of the English language should be required to get a license to drive. This makes sense considering he lacks enough knowledge of English that he requires an interpreter.

2) There was a witness, riding in the pickup with the accused. This witness has since fled the US and returned to his home country of Ecuador after cutting off the ankle monitor the ICE had put on him.

3) The truck the accused was driving belongs to the brother of the accused. He was initially charge with a misdemeanor charge of allowing someone without a license to operate a motor vehicle. That charge has since been dropped in exchange for the brother being deposed in this case.

So much of this makes no sense at all, and in my opinion is just another example of how messed up the immigration system is. If this person is now a documented immigrant (I cannot find a source on that) then one would think that he should, by now, have enough comprehension of our language to be deemed competent to stand trial. I will never understand this.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke