Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I love me" wall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "I love me" wall

Quote Originally Posted by Luvnlife View Post
    My shadow box that I got when I retired was sitting in my closet for the longest time until we moved and there was a spot that needed to be filled. Voila!

The only thing that really means anything to me that I got while I was in is the Cold War certificate that they authorized for us. Then again, that's sitting on a shelf in my garage. hwell
    I'd forgotten about the Cold War Certificate, a gift from the guy who sought to defeat Hillary Clinton for the Senate in New York. I'm eligible for that. But what would I do with it? How would having it change my life? Why did the Army's personnel system (which handled it for all five service branches) get strapped with the administrative costs of handkling the requests from a tiny percentage of those eligible? Who sees it in your garage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have one framed, matted set of pictures of various moments in my career hanging up in my house. My favorite pictures of that matted set are the ones of the last promotion pin-on, where our division chief, a Navy captain, pins on one oak leaf and my then ten-year-old daughter pins on the other oak leaf, then there is a picture with me, my kids, and the Navy captain. I was a single father of two at that time.

Everything else (medals, citations, coins) is on shelves or in boxes, gathering dust.

I love me, but I love my children more than I love me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have a rather young Chief and he is pretty proud of that fact. Curious one day we counted how many Chief stripes are displayed in his office. It was around 27 or so. He had a chief mug, chief coins, chief coin rack, chief clock, chief nameplate, chief line number stripe, chief wood carving, and on and on. We call his office the chief gift shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After 20 years, I now have an office I can hang shit in. I opened my boxes of stuff and had to air it out. Everything was musty and smelled like mold. After several months of bare walls, I hung everything up...including my CDC score of the month plaque from back in '93. When I retire, I will pick a couple of things to put in a shadow box, take photos of the rest, then burn most of it. My favorite stuff is a few deployment & range photos & photos of good friends along the way. I had an uncle who was a WWII tank commander. He had an office with a couple of cool mementos hung on the wall. He cherished that stuff and it was cool to talk with him about it. Because of that, I will probably keep a couple of things as conversation pieces, but not much.

FLAPS

For my first several years commissioned I thought getting trinkets was pretty cool, but after about 6-8 years of it I ran out of space to put the shit. Now I just have too much crap in boxes to move, when in the end I think all I really want to display is my shadow box. The plaques and other stupid "sq cgo of qtr" junk can be burned in the fireplace. Anyone know what temps are required to melt glass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We found a couple of old quarterly awards from 2005 in one of our desks. Me and the SNCOs promptly displayed them proudly with our names written on a sticky notes covering the old names!!! People walk into our cubicles and immediately crack up.. WE also created fake name plates with some off the wall duty titles i.e. Assistant Director to the Deputy Chief Undersecretary of Lunch Affairs Division. Good times....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    For my first several years commissioned I thought getting trinkets was pretty cool, but after about 6-8 years of it I ran out of space to put the shit. Now I just have too much crap in boxes to move, when in the end I think all I really want to display is my shadow box. The plaques and other stupid "sq cgo of qtr" junk can be burned in the fireplace. Anyone know what temps are required to melt glass?
    I think in light of current budget realities, units across the Air Force need to change the mentality of purchasing momentoes for quarterly awards. I have a few myself, and they really don't mean as much as time goes by. Some of them are quite nice too, so they weren't cheap. Most people would be happy with simply being recognized on stage with a nice certificate and a 1 or 3 day pass; plus they still get a nice "bullet" for the EPR or annual award package. The savings across the Air Force would be significant if all units started eliminating the practice of buying hardware for quarterly awards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    So i have been bouncing this idea off a few people and I am considering doint it. We all know someone who has a massive "I love me" wall in their office. This is the place where they keep all of their awards and coins from their career. This is especially common in customer service positions. I have had several supervisors who had a massive amount of awards and they just loved it when customers asked about their awards.

I have an interesting new take on the "I love me" wall. I want to login to ADLS and print out my completion certificates from all the various CBTs I have completed. I then want to frame them all and completely cover my wall. When people stop by and comment on them I plan to brag about how I completed Information Assurance in under 10 minutes AND scored a perfect score on the quiz at the end. The only problem might be finding a wall big enough for all of my CBTs. I hate to brag too much but I have completed quite a few in my day.
    I have tons of stuff accumulated from over the years, but I only display select items in my office. Just so it's not bland. Also have family pictures, a Magic 8-Ball, NASCAR & airplane diecasts and other aircraft paintings. Not too much "I love me" stuff though.

Once I retire, it will all go into the attic. Some stuff is too nice to toss out, but don't really want to hang a glass paned plaque from my Korea tour in 1993 either. Maybe if Pawn Stars is around the year 2099, some of my stuff like the military coins will be worth something to somebody.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
    I have tons of stuff accumulated from over the years, but I only display select items in my office. Just so it's not bland. Also have family pictures, a Magic 8-Ball, NASCAR & airplane diecasts and other aircraft paintings. Not too much "I love me" stuff though.

Once I retire, it will all go into the attic. Some stuff is too nice to toss out, but don't really want to hang a glass paned plaque from my Korea tour in 1993 either. Maybe if Pawn Stars is around the year 2099, some of my stuff like the military coins will be worth something to somebody.
    I’m pretty sure a few dozen magic 8 balls were purged a few months ago during that campaign to rid the workplace of offensive and questionable material.

You’d better get that thing out of your office before it offends someone. I think the reason those things are questionable is because they get their magic from an obtuse demonic spirit that lives inside them.

If that thing gets a crack in it the spirit could escape and start prompting an officer in your unit to sexually harass people.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I’m pretty sure a few dozen magic 8 balls were purged a few months ago during that campaign to rid the workplace of offensive and questionable material.

You’d better get that thing out of your office before it offends someone. I think the reason those things are questionable is because they get their magic from an obtuse demonic spirit that lives inside them.

If that thing gets a crack in it the spirit could escape and start prompting an officer in your unit to sexually harass people.
    my magic 8 ball told me to grope a co-worker? i think the judge would throw his gavel at you if you tried that as a defense.