Thread: Anybody Care to Hazard a Guess as to WHY (beyond the obvious Public Relations angle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Anybody Care to Hazard a Guess as to WHY (beyond the obvious Public Relations angle)

a single-seat, twin-engine fifth-generation supermaneuverable fighter aircraft that uses stealth technology, is going to the ROK for FOAL EAGLE (and other potential summertime excitement).

U.S. F-22 stealth jets join South Korea drills amid sabre-rattling

What does the North have that the can only be stifled by employment the F-22?

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

Now I remember!

All the airshows have been cancelled, and Big Blue needs to have something for F-22's to do during the summer...

Air Force standards must be uniformly known, consistently applied and non-selectively enforced.
    - Gen. Ronald R Fogleman, Air Force Chief of Staff

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Never tell people how to do things.
    Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    - General George Patton Jr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Anybody Care to Hazard a Guess as to WHY (beyond the obvious Public Relations ang

We will see how well they do against Doppler effect and radio com with friendlies..and flack you can walk (not fly) on. Now that will be some 'real world testing' overlooked by AF 'experts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Anybody Care to Hazard a Guess as to WHY (beyond the obvious Public Relations ang

How can we even be sure they'll be flyable in combat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If war does come to the Korean peninsula, I wonder how much of a role the F-22 would even play in the initial stages. I can imagine the F-22 "holding fast" until North Korea's anti-air defenses are degraded to a level that poses acceptable risks to the sensitive and delicate Raptor. I think there would be parallels with the air campaign of Desert Storm, in which the F-4, F-16s, and F-111s played huge roles yet it was the F-117 and F-15E Strike Eagle that received the kudos and the attention.

Meanwhile, the South Korean air force has a highly-effective weapon in the F-15K Slam Eagle:

"Radar: It is one of the areas where the Slam Eagle beats the F-15E. It is based on the APG-63(V)1 radar developed for the F-15C version by the USAF. It is not of of AESA type, but its back-end can accomodate an AESA array in the future. This radar in itself is definitely more capable than the APG-70 plus Boeing took it a few steps further for the sake of the F-15K. With the A/G software of the APG-70 ported to the new platform, new sea surface and track modes and ground moving target track capability were added to meet the specific needs of the Republic of Korea. The new radar also has some kind of NCTR capabilities, although this area is highly classified. It is safe to say that the end result turned out to be the best F-15 radar in the world ever (including radars in other foreign versions, for example the F-15I Raam)."

- F-15E.info, "Differences between F-15E and F-15K"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does seem that the F22s are in their possible last steps in testing before becoming certified, maybe. Or did I sleep through the acceptance of the F22 by the Air Force for full usage?

JD2780

No you didn't sleep through it. It's been busy suffocating pilots causing them to suffer from hypoxia. Who can get ready for war when you're busy killing pilots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    If war does come to the Korean peninsula, I wonder how much of a role the F-22 would even play in the initial stages. I can imagine the F-22 "holding fast" until North Korea's anti-air defenses are degraded to a level that poses acceptable risks to the sensitive and delicate Raptor. I think there would be parallels with the air campaign of Desert Storm, in which the F-4, F-16s, and F-111s played huge roles yet it was the F-117 and F-15E Strike Eagle that received the kudos and the attention.

Meanwhile, the South Korean air force has a highly-effective weapon in the F-15K Slam Eagle:

"Radar: It is one of the areas where the Slam Eagle beats the F-15E. It is based on the APG-63(V)1 radar developed for the F-15C version by the USAF. It is not of of AESA type, but its back-end can accomodate an AESA array in the future. This radar in itself is definitely more capable than the APG-70 plus Boeing took it a few steps further for the sake of the F-15K. With the A/G software of the APG-70 ported to the new platform, new sea surface and track modes and ground moving target track capability were added to meet the specific needs of the Republic of Korea. The new radar also has some kind of NCTR capabilities, although this area is highly classified. It is safe to say that the end result turned out to be the best F-15 radar in the world ever (including radars in other foreign versions, for example the F-15I Raam)."

:spy Great point 'boss 302' but to expand your reply; the F-111?F Raven's, followed in after two drones to reduce the radar defense sensitivity for any detection of the F-117A 'light bomber A/C', and that would be their tactic today unless they have a 'Klingon bird of pray' hangin' around at 'area 51'.:flying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post

I don't even know why the F-22s are in the ROK at all. Seriously, between the present USAF, ROKAF, and available USN tactical aircraft, there should be plenty to beat the NKAF and chew the NKA up on the ground. Any combat aircraft described as "sensitive and delicate" hardly seems worthy of putting into combat, especially when we can't be sure the pilots will survive flying the plane.