Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about this general?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your thoughts about this general?

In a time when everyday U.S. airmen perceive generals as feathering their beds for cushy future jobs in the aerospace industry, Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan seems stubbornly bent on doing the job they gave him to perform today rather than setting himself up for a cushy, private-sector job tomorrow. With an extraordinary display of integrity that has been lacking in most American generals in recent years (see the discussion about Colin Powell on another thread), Bogdan is willing to annoy the hell out of powerful industry magnates who court and corrupt lesser men.

The manager of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter program, Bogdan had harsh words for planemaker Lockheed Martin and engine producer Pratt & Whitney in a statement to reporters in January: "“I want them both to start behaving like they want to be around for 40 years," Bogdan warned. "I want them to take on some of the risk of this program. I want them to invest in cost reductions. I want them to do the things that will build a better relationship. I’m not getting all that love yet."

Have you noticed this general? This is no careerist sycophant. He looks like and sounds like the real deal.

Am I right? Am I giving him too much credit? What?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Your thoughts about this general?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    In a time when everyday U.S. airmen perceive generals as feathering their beds for cushy future jobs in the aerospace industry, Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan seems stubbornly bent on doing the job they gave him to perform today rather than setting himself up for a cushy, private-sector job tomorrow. With an extraordinary display of integrity that has been lacking in most American generals in recent years (see the discussion about Colin Powell on another thread), Bogdan is willing to annoy the hell out of powerful industry magnates who court and corrupt lesser men.

The manager of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter program, Bogdan had harsh words for planemaker Lockheed Martin and engine producer Pratt & Whitney in a statement to reporters in January: "“I want them both to start behaving like they want to be around for 40 years," Bogdan warned. "I want them to take on some of the risk of this program. I want them to invest in cost reductions. I want them to do the things that will build a better relationship. I’m not getting all that love yet."

Have you noticed this general? This is no careerist sycophant. He looks like and sounds like the real deal.

No one is discussing Colin Powell's lack of integrity as a United States Army General on another thread; you are just attacking his integrity and character on another thread. Again, you prove just how small you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    No one is discussing Colin Powell's lack of integrity as a United States Army General on another thread; you are just attacking his integrity and character on another thread. Again, you prove just how small you are.
    It was not my intention to misrepresent the discussion about Powell. I was searching for a contrast. I could have picked almost any other current general. Petraeus is a good example. You are correct that no one except me has pointed to Powell's flaws on these forums. Plenty of people have done so elsewhere. You're not helping with my purpose, which is to find out what people think of Bogdan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From looking at his bio I'd say this general really does care about this aircraft and the AF. Believe he wants these contractors to provide the right plane and not just line their pockets. Hope he gets support from the CSAF and Congress in his quest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was not my intention to misrepresent the discussion about Powell. I was searching for a contrast. I could have picked almost any other current general. Petraeus is a good example. You are correct that no one except me has pointed to Powell's flaws on these forums. Plenty of people have done so elsewhere. You're not helping with my purpose, which is to find out what people think of Bogdan.
    You pointed to Colin Powell's flaws? No, you did not. You did this:

typical of a career of a man who will say anything or do anything to get ahead and who doesn't possess an iota of honesty. There is not a single thing to admire about this man. He is the prototype for all of the self-serving, suck-up sycophants who followed and who got us into the mess we're in today.
    Doesn't have any honesty? Nothing to admire about him? He's the prototype for all "suck-up sycophants"?

That's not "pointing out flaws", that is blatant character assassination. But what else should be expected of a small, tiny, vindictive man who lurks in the bowels of the Military Times forums, looking for his next column idea? For good or bad (because history has yet to make its judgment), Colin Powell will be remembered and noted.

You, on the other hand, will not. And that is very good.

In regards to General Bogdan, he seems to be doing a fine job as a General (much like Colin Powell). Let's just hope he stays in your good graces lest his name is associated with your pathetic verbal vitriol on these forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, let us examine his recent history (from his bio), his last 4 assignment were:

May 2008 - May 2009, Senior Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
    June 2009 - July 2012, KC-46 Program Executive Officer and Program Director, KC-46 Tanker Modernization Directorate, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
    PEO for the new tanker during the acquisition contract award phase. During which we had the AF select a program, be protested for unethical/illegal practices, and then select another tanker. Tell me Bob, is rigging the competition in favor of an inferior aircraft a sign of integrity and not "setting himself up for a cushy, private-sector job tomorrow"? For a person who values history, you seem to not know Bogdan's.

July 2012 - December 2012, Deputy Program Executive Officer for the F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va.
    Deputy PEO for 6 months, during which time he did what to act in the best interest of the program or AF?

December 2012 - present, Program Executive Officer for the F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va.
    Hasn't been PEO long enough to effect any change.

So, in conclusion, a single unsupported statement does not define the character of a man. I'd prefer to look at his history and actions myself. To me, the debacle of the tanker selection (over which he presided and lead) is a strong black mark against your sentiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    You pointed to Colin Powell's flaws? No, you did not. You did this:

Doesn't have any honesty? Nothing to admire about him? He's the prototype for all "suck-up sycophants"?

That's not "pointing out flaws", that is blatant character assassination. But what else should be expected of a small, tiny, vindictive man who lurks in the bowels of the Military Times forums, looking for his next column idea? For good or bad (because history has yet to make its judgment), Colin Powell will be remembered and noted.

You, on the other hand, will not. And that is very good.

In regards to General Bogdan, he seems to be doing a fine job as a General (much like Colin Powell). Let's just hope he stays in your good graces lest his name is associated with your pathetic verbal vitriol on these forums.
    I wish I hadn't created this distraction from the subject of Bogdan. You could not possibly be more wrong about history not yet making its judgment, however. It is almost impossible to imagine anyone as thoroughly discredited as Powell. You are correct to criticize my not citing specific examples but that isn't the topic I want to discuss and besides the record is too plain to need any amplification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Rfd,
    This is another suspect user who magically
    Started another username this month.
    Beware!
    Which one, Tak? Which one? Or do I care?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Imnohero is correct that I don't know his history in the tanker program, which is, of course, why I asked for comments. However, if I want to learn more I'll have to look farther than the post from Imnohero, which does an extraordinary job of not mentioning which tanker this general favored. I'll have to find out elsewhere. The KC-X tanker competition, like the Light Air Support competition, was a no-brainer: instead of taking years, it should have taken 20 minutes to figure out which was the better aircraft. In KC-X, they chose the wrong aircraft for a program that is sorely needed. In LAS, they picked the right airplane for a program that isn't needed at all. Both decisions could have been reached with a 20-minute walk-around check. But, again, Imnohero is right that I'm not yet educated on Bogdan's role here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Rfd,
    This is another suspect user who magically
    Started another username this month.
    Beware!
    Oh, yeah. I see it now, Tak. Pretty obvious who it is.