Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Just checked with my wife, she's 60% and only gets $500 a month as a 25 year SMSgt. If I remember correctly, you're an "O"; $1400 a month concurrent pay... very nice!!
    I agree it is nice but I was not an officer. The high amount was another reason I wanted to talk to someone about it. But they convinced me it is legit. The guy walked me through it in very simple terms.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I agree it is nice but I was not an officer. The high amount was another reason I wanted to talk to someone about it. But they convinced me it is legit. The guy walked me through it in very simple terms.
    Didn't mean to insult you like that... :madgrin:tape

I wasn't sure, but the amount you were getting had me thinking maybe that was the case. If I remember correctly (we have separate finances, so I'm not sure) she gets $2,500 a month and then the VA check for $500 as a 60% 25 year SMSgt, so $1400 a month seems pretty darn high (or my wife's getting hosed!)
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It does seem off. Seems like you wife may be getting short changed.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    It does seem off. Seems like you wife may be getting short changed.
    OK, I guess I was behind the times... as I said, we don't mix our money, so I have no real idea what she gets. I guess in the beginning she got a check for $500 and I never heard anything more. Talked to her and she told me a couple months later she got some back pay and now her concurrent check is around $1k, so that's much closer to what you're getting.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Glad to hear that. It bothers me to think that a deserving vet is not getting taken care of.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Does this retroactive payment happen automatically and if so, how long does it take to happen? Thank you very much.
    It is automatic, but I should qualify that as some things need to happen.

Once you get your rating, your part is basically done. It is up to the VA to transmit the change of payment information to DFAS. If you are retired and over 50%, you will receive your retirement pay in full. You will also receive a VA compensation check based on your percentage. If you are under 50%, the math gets kinda weird because DFAS will decrease your pay to level not to exceed the compensation payment + the retirement.

That's how it is working for me... others may want to chime in to share their situation.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Sir, thanks for the reply. In relation to the retroactive part, say they owe 6 months retroactive disability pay,
    How long after rating decision does dfas take to pay out?
    It took 6 weeks in my case because of the timing. Just like in the military, transactions applied after the 20th of the month will not take effect the 1st of the next month; it will be the following 1st of the month.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This may be a tad off the topic and if it is please place it where you think it should go.

Social Security disability works just about the same way. Took me three years before I was declared and I did get back pay to the date of my diagnosis. Also there are different categories. VA does not recognizance this as it was not service connected, found this out the hard way. I did get Medicare part A and B however and being retired I do have Tricare for life. Made the mistake of using a VA hospital that wound up costing me a pretty penny, didn't make that mistake again. Pass this along to any who may be in the same situation.

Always.
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm?????????????????