Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilian Airmen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Civilian Airmen?

I've not heard the term until I read something in an email the other day.

WTF is a Civilian Airmen? Do they PT Test? Do they have to have the 80 hr CBT done in 24 hrs?
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

JD2780

Re: Civilian Airmen?

It's stupidity. Stay away from that phrase. I doubt the Marines calla their civilian "civilian Marines".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard the CMSAF use it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the term is being used (and in capital letters, too). And yes, it's stupidity. The irony is that the Air Force's civilians make an important contribution and deserve recognition. But a civilian is not an airman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone has to be special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As dumb and blue as it sounds, I had to go through physical and psychological training that most Americans cannot complete, or qualify for. Now for one of those people to either wash out of basic training or become medically disqualified, only to get hired in a GS position and have the "honor" of being called a civilian airman? That is flat out disrespectful to those who have actually earned the title of "Airman."

Call them what they are.. civilians. They didn't earn the title of "Airman," and if they did but have separated/retired.. then call them what they currently are.. a civilian.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethon View Post
    As dumb and blue as it sounds, I had to go through physical and psychological training that most Americans cannot complete, or qualify for. Now for one of those people to either wash out of basic training or become medically disqualified, only to get hired in a GS position and have the "honor" of being called a civilian airman? That is flat out disrespectful to those who have actually earned the title of "Airman."

Call them what they are.. civilians. They didn't earn the title of "Airman," and if they did but have separated/retired.. then call them what they currently are.. a civilian.
    Next you are going to tell me that a SSgt Select is really a SrA.
    Five Meters of Voided Space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ain't got beef with civies at all (No choice I'm at an AFMC base nuff said) but reading that blew my mind. Wish I could post the email but I deleted it...
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright before you guys start getting too elitist and big headed. As a full time reservist I'm (Air Reserve Technichian) I'm one example of a civilian airman. If it makes you feel better I have to pass PT, do all the CBT's active duty does, plus a couple federal employee CBT's active duty doesn't see. Big Blue has to call us civilian airman so they can keep us in uniform so they can have more control over us by playing the rank card. We don't want to be in uniform, we've sued the secretary of the air force to get out of it. Also we can be furloughed even though Big Blue claims we're "dual role".
    FYI, I was active duty for 6 years, traditional reserves for 7 years, and now an ART for 11 years.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback15 View Post
    Alright before you guys start getting too elitist and big headed. As a full time reservist I'm (Air Reserve Technichian) I'm one example of a civilian airman. If it makes you feel better I have to pass PT, do all the CBT's active duty does, plus a couple federal employee CBT's active duty doesn't see. Big Blue has to call us civilian airman so they can keep us in uniform so they can have more control over us by playing the rank card. We don't want to be in uniform, we've sued the secretary of the air force to get out of it. Also we can be furloughed even though Big Blue claims we're "dual role".
    FYI, I was active duty for 6 years, traditional reserves for 7 years, and now an ART for 11 years.
    No when they mean civilian Airmen they talk about the typical GS employee or contractor.