Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is AAFES losing business?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is AAFES losing business?

I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is AAFES losing business?

:laugh They have a 'captive customer base (pun intended) ' that can move across the world and not loose one. Only RIF's now and then will affect AAFES and they know how to adjust. :welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AAFES leadership is out of touch with reality and AAFES is doomed if it doesn't improve. At Fort Stewart they've renovated the food court three times in the 8 years I've been here and renovated the central corridor outside the PX and the building is barely 11 years old. Rebranding the Exchange wasted untold thousands (if not millions) of dollars. The remodeling of the store has wasted more money and made the store chaotic. Good job AAFES...I do most of my shopping off post. Many I know do the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.
    :lever Some things never Change!!! (pun intended) :rapture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.
    Of course you pay your card off in full every month. Thats being subsidized by the other knuckleheads who dont.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Of course you pay your card off in full every month. Thats being subsidized by the other knuckleheads who dont.
    That's fine, still doesn't change the fact that gas is cheaper at AAFES gas stations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    That's fine, still doesn't change the fact that gas is cheaper at AAFES gas stations.
    Gas is not cheaper, but on par wth local community. They price the fuel based on the average of 3 local gas stations. At least thats what AAFES tells us. Now in the early 1980's, fuel was much cheaper on base because it was not taxed on the state or federal level. Gas tax is around 50 cents per gallon. Not sure when it changed but when I returned from Korea in 1988, the big 40-50 cent difference was gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
    Gas is not cheaper, but on par wth local community. They price the fuel based on the average of 3 local gas stations. At least thats what AAFES tells us. Now in the early 1980's, fuel was much cheaper on base because it was not taxed on the state or federal level. Gas tax is around 50 cents per gallon. Not sure when it changed but when I returned from Korea in 1988, the big 40-50 cent difference was gone.
    Yep, and with the 5 cents off per gallon with the Star Card, it is cheaper.