Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is AAFES losing business?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is AAFES losing business?

I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is AAFES losing business?

:laugh They have a 'captive customer base (pun intended) ' that can move across the world and not loose one. Only RIF's now and then will affect AAFES and they know how to adjust. :welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AAFES leadership is out of touch with reality and AAFES is doomed if it doesn't improve. At Fort Stewart they've renovated the food court three times in the 8 years I've been here and renovated the central corridor outside the PX and the building is barely 11 years old. Rebranding the Exchange wasted untold thousands (if not millions) of dollars. The remodeling of the store has wasted more money and made the store chaotic. Good job AAFES...I do most of my shopping off post. Many I know do the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I haven't seen the incentive to shop at the BX or get base gas anymore. For the past several years or so, gas prices on base have always been exactly what they are off base. I get gas on base simply because there are otherwise no gas stations between Eagle River and Anchorage. Plus the DVD's sold at the BX or shopette are usually around $12 to $15 and Wal Mart has tons selling for $5.

It seems only the food court area is still packing them in, still

Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    Depends on where you are at. Here in Utah people buy from the Class Six beacuse the booze is cheaper than off base. You can buy expensive electronics items tax free, but they do not have the best selection. The clothing selection is terrible.
    :lever Some things never Change!!! (pun intended) :rapture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    If you have the Star card, getting on base gas is better even if it is the same price. You get 5 cents off a gallon when you use your Star card to pay.
    Of course you pay your card off in full every month. Thats being subsidized by the other knuckleheads who dont.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: Is AAFES losing business?

Today’s exchange business concept is inexcusably antiquated and unfit for purpose. Gasoline is the number one profit money maker for exchanges. :wof

Functional Military Clothing Sales Stores (MCSS), morale boosting Tactical Field Exchanges and shops afloat are only remaining military unique function worthy of salvage provided by any of the lackluster hodgepodge of different top heavy, redundant function exchange organizations.

Why is active duty military personnel still assigned to the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)?

Of 73 military authorizations in The Exchange worldwide, 54 are located at HQ Exchange, Dallas, Texas. For example:

Brig. Gen. Casey Blake (USAF) Deputy Director, Army and Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)

Colonel Thomas P. Ockenfels (USA) Chief of Staff Army & Air Force Exchange Service

Chief Master Sergeant Tony Pearson (USAF) Senior Enlisted Advisor Army & Air Force Exchange Service (Exchange)

These superfluous military manning positions need to be axed, before any operational unit force reductions are considered.

Rotating teleconferences to link up e-councils of serving members could provide sufficiently diverse customer feedback and valid customer representation to a drastically downsized, modernized, totally civilian, and consolidated exchange for all military branches service focused on e-commerce is the best way forward.

Such sanctioned Fraud, Waste, and Abuse traditions of military authorizations in these supposed penny pinching times is contemptible. :rant

How many maintenance or intelligence airmen “worker bee” positions could be funded by just converting USAF military “business” support or leadership allocations away from AAFES to authentic hands-on mission meets the tarmac operational billets for an active duty special operations wing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Within the last year our local Main Exchange underwent a total renovation. Wonder why. Place is never crowded. I find very little there I need. And after the last experience with a "special order", requiring the intervention of the two-star commanding AAFES at the time, no way would I even dream of ordering anything. AAFES, for me, is strictly "take it or leave it". Face it, they don't care. They don't HAVE to care.

My guess is that most people stationed in the CONUS spend more money at Costco/Sam's Club, Walmart, or at Amazon than at the Exchange. Exceptions might possibly be in the area of liquor, gasoline and, of course, military clothing. Selection is better and prices are often better. Last week needed a new battery for the laptop. Toshiba wanted over $100. Amazon price: $18.80. Never even entered my mind to check the Exchange's price. They probably didn't carry the battery anyway.

Don't understand why there are so many military authorizations within AAFES. Guess they need a few but 73, including a flag officer, is too many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While many of these points may be true, if they did get rid of AAFES there will be a thread on here in about 3-5 years bitching and complaining they want their shopping back.