Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is AAFES losing business?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is AAFES losing business?

The BX here got renovated not too long ago and the only time I go in is for a haircut during my lunch hour. The selection is terrible but at Holloman, the Walmart in town is absolutely filthy so I do most of my shopping at amazon or eBay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I live overseas and I still find it cheaper to go off base and buy stuff from the local market.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

In on AAFES hate thread.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our BX is busy simply because to go to lunch in town would take too long and it's a heck of a drive sometimes. They just renovated the BX and now there is a Dunkin Donuts, Popeyes and Subway and it stays packed. The only thing appealing about out BX is they sell guns and sometimes they are cheaper than Chucks (the popular gun store) other than that, I don't see many people, other than retirees and civilians hording the BX.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Many many years ago congress passed a law that forced military exchanges to raise the price of gasoline to be within so many cents of gasoline off base due to the lobbying efforts of the retail industry. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN CONGRESS!!
    The product company's must open their accounting books to the exchanges (the government) to negotiate the exchange sale price. Many, many, many of the popular product lines do not want to do this, hence few of the "top brands" can be found at AAFES.
    WRT the name change...I think it is only a matter of time that all the service exchanges merge into one, like the commissaries did some years ago.
    I agree that many BXs are dead or near death... Other than the "outrage" perhaps it is serious time to consider contracting out the exchange to a commerical reseller like WalMart.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Many many years ago congress passed a law that forced military exchanges to raise the price of gasoline to be within so many cents of gasoline off base due to the lobbying efforts of the retail industry. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN CONGRESS!!
    The product company's must open their accounting books to the exchanges (the government) to negotiate the exchange sale price. Many, many, many of the popular product lines do not want to do this, hence few of the "top brands" can be found at AAFES.
    WRT the name change...I think it is only a matter of time that all the service exchanges merge into one, like the commissaries did some years ago.
    I agree that many BXs are dead or near death... Other than the "outrage" perhaps it is serious time to consider contracting out the exchange to a commerical reseller like WalMart.
    Two questions:

1. At a stateside base with a community nearby, why are any of these facilities needed?

2. What's a WRT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Two questions:

1. At a stateside base with a community nearby, why are any of these facilities needed?

2. What's a WRT?
    War Readiness Training
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

maybe "With reference to"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Count in Fairchild AFB with the other suck BX. They remodeled about a year ago, to add in a gun shop. We had one that was being run by a retired AF guy out of outdoor rec. It was perfectly fine there. They could have left the guy in charge of it and given him some AAFEES employees. They ignored him completely to put the one in the BX. They also decided to put in a cell phone stand right in the front of where the "power zone" was. Then, they decided to close down our furniture store and start putting display stuff in the BX. Now, the furniture store has taken about 1/4 of the space of the BX. The rest of the BX has an absolute abysmal selection on everything because of the gun counter, furniture store and cell kiosk. Every time I, or my wife, go there, we always come away disappointed because we can't find what we wanted.

For the gas, it is usually the lowest price in town. There happens to be a native American run gas station about 1/4 mile outside the base and, they have to match their price. However, they DON'T make money off of gas. Despite what some of you may think. I asked one day when there was a price discrepancy between the 2 that stayed for about a week. The person at the shoppette said that they don't know how they can keep their prices so low, they have the same supplier of gas as the native American run station. Yet, the shoppette was left 5 cents higher and still losing a lot of money at the price then. This was about a year ago and, since then they have always matched the price. I would imagine they still are losing money to match most times. Especially with how much lower it usually is then in town.

For other civilian gas stations, they make very little money off of gas as well (the station itself, not the supplier.) Most of their money comes from the store inside. The ones who make the money off of the gas sales is the state, in the way of taxes. As well as the supplier itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No matter what base I go to, the Class 6 seems to do alright.