Thread: Organ donation.. Opt in, or Opt out??

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Organ donation.. Opt in, or Opt out??

Brought out of this thread
    http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...ghlight=organs

Who here supports making organ donation being a "You have to opt out, otherwise we are assuming you have consented" way to do things, over the current way of "You have to opt in to being a organ donator"

JD2780

Re: Organ donation.. Opt in, or Opt out??

You should have to actually opt in. Silence is NOT approval.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some things need to be opt in, and organ donation is one of them. The alternative would just lead to lawsuit after lawsuit--family member dies, organs are harvested, and the rest of the family finds out, gets a lawyer, and claims damages, emotional trauma and whatever else, claiming they were not aware that paperwork had to be filled out to NOT be an organ donor.

Even signing the dotted line to be an organ donor is confusing to people--what if I only want to donate my internal organs and not my skin, bones, and anything else they can salvage from my body? I know that when I signed up, there were options to exclude everything but internal organs, but I'm guessing that in most states, if you say you will be an organ donor, you are agreeing to donate anything that can be used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the things that I have only HEARD and never actually witness is that allegedly Doctors will occassionally do less to save an organ donor so they can harvest their organs. Probably B.S. but still.. On second thought, having a plethora of donors might reduce the percieved need to do that... Might be a good deal all around...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opt in.

Part of being a donation is the conscious decision to opt in.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbean View Post
    Some things need to be opt in, and organ donation is one of them. The alternative would just lead to lawsuit after lawsuit--family member dies, organs are harvested, and the rest of the family finds out, gets a lawyer, and claims damages, emotional trauma and whatever else, claiming they were not aware that paperwork had to be filled out to NOT be an organ donor.
    In England, i heard of one big case from iirc the late 80s, where a new hubby into a largish family forgot to let anyone know he was an organ doner, and when the dude died in a car accident (broke neck) the hospital was already in process of pulling out all his organs when the family came to see the corpse/id him. There was a mass hissy fit cause he would no longer be presentable in an open casket for his funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbean View Post
    Even signing the dotted line to be an organ donor is confusing to people--what if I only want to donate my internal organs and not my skin, bones, and anything else they can salvage from my body? I know that when I signed up, there were options to exclude everything but internal organs, but I'm guessing that in most states, if you say you will be an organ donor, you are agreeing to donate anything that can be used.
    I have heard some states do let you have wrote down on your card what is / is not to be taken. BUT i would like to know if there are laws or something in place that actually would stop a hospital just taking everything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    One of the things that I have only HEARD and never actually witness is that allegedly Doctors will occassionally do less to save an organ donor so they can harvest their organs. Probably B.S. but still..
    With the number of friends i have heard that from i don't think its all BS..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the state of Ohio, if one wishes to be an organ donor, and signs the appropriate paperwork, one is to specify the organs to donate, or not to donate.

And yes, opt in.