Thread: 60mm mortar banned... right? Wrong?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

60mm mortar banned... right? Wrong?

So most of us by now have heard of that tragic accident that occurred recently that killed eight Marines when a 60mm mortar blew up.

Now the Pentagon has suspended the use of the weapon pending further investigation.

I can understand investigating that lot number for faulty rounds... but suspending the whole weapon altogether? That seems like an overreaction to me... especially when the 60 is such a widely used weapon for the grunts.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...7JQrc.facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 60mm mortar banned... right? Wrong?

Joe,

You have to remember that the Corps just switched to a new 60mm mortar tube/bipod. While the suspension of the use of the 60mm is an extreme measure I think it's justified despite the fact that there's almost no chance it was the mortar tube itself. I would hate for anymore Marines to be hurt or killed and find out after the fact it was the mortar tube system.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." Kenny Powers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt2111 View Post
    Joe,

You have to remember that the Corps just switched to a new 60mm mortar tube/bipod. While the suspension of the use of the 60mm is an extreme measure I think it's justified despite the fact that there's almost no chance it was the mortar tube itself. I would hate for anymore Marines to be hurt or killed and find out after the fact it was the mortar tube system.
    Good info there. If its something the tube is doing to the shell then the sooner they halt it and figure it out the better. Using a proven shell in a new launch system would point to the system IMHO. (Squids eye view)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    Good info there. If its something the tube is doing to the shell then the sooner they halt it and figure it out the better. Using a proven shell in a new launch system would point to the system IMHO. (Squids eye view)
    Vrake,

From an armorers eye view I find it highly unlikely that in the case of a mortar system it would be the tube that is the cause of a catastrophic incident. A mortar tube is basically a really sophisticated pipe with a nail at the bottom. There aren't many pieces or components that would cause the mortar to explode. That being said I do support the suspension just in what I view the highly improbable possibility that it was the mortar tube. My money is on faulty ammunition.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." Kenny Powers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vrake,

From an armorers eye view I find it highly unlikely that in the case of a mortar system it would be the tube that is the cause of a catastrophic incident. A mortar tube is basically a really sophisticated pipe with a nail at the bottom. There aren't many pieces or components that would cause the mortar to explode. That being said I do support the suspension just in what I view the highly improbable possibility that it was the mortar tube. My money is on faulty ammunition.
    :spy Or the M734/M525/timer fuses. We will see. :suspicious:sad

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

IMO it is yet another example of knee jerk responses from the powers in charge.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe,

I wasn't aware that we had recently switched to a new tube... now the decision makes a bit more sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somewhat of a late update, but I didn't see any responses that pointed to the actual cause of the mishap. The investigation into the event concluded that the detonation occured as a result of user error and mismanagement of live fire events. The assistant gunner "half loaded" a round while one was already in the tube. When the Gunner fired the first round it impacted the tail boom of the "half loaded" round. This caused it to overcome all of the mechanical safeties built into the M935 PD fuze; functioning the mortar as designed. The severity of the incident can be chalked up to improper dispersion of personnel and weapon systems which, due to darkness and close proximity of other mortar teams (who were firing a different set of missions) most likely caused the assistant gunner to misunderstand or interpret the commands being given. It should also be noted that while all personnel conducting the live fire event had the basic individual training required, many were very inexperienced or several ranks junior in regards to the billets they were filling. So, that's the bad news. The positive part of this is that immediately following the mishap, everyone involved in the medical triage and evacuation performed exemplary. The Bn Gunner took immediate control of the situation, ordering medevac flights, and assessing casulaties while the Bn MO triaged patients and clarified their needs for the medevac birds. This quick, decisive action most likely resulted in many more lives being saved.