Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm all for fair trials, appeals and all that, BUT...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for fair trials, appeals and all that, BUT...

In some cases we really ought to have the option to take them out back and save us all the time and money of dragging it out... THIS is one of those cases!!

Ohio school shooter, wearing 'KILLER' T-shirt, sentenced to life in prison
    Pool/The News-Herald via AP

T.J. Lane, wearing a "KILLER" T-shirt, smirks as he listens to the judge during sentencing on Tuesday in Chardon, Ohio.
    By Elizabeth Chuck, Staff Writer, NBC News
    Editor's warning: This story contains graphic content.

An Ohio judge has sentenced T.J. Lane, the Ohio teen charged with shooting three students to death and wounding three others last February, to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Lane showed up to his sentencing wearing a white T-shirt with the word "KILLER" in capital letters scrawled on it -- the same word police say he had emblazoned on his shirt the day of the shootings at Chardon High School.

Lane, 18, pleaded guilty last month to all charges against him in the Feb. 27, 2012, shootings, in which he opened fire on a cafeteria table full of students in the rural community of Chardon.

In a brief statement during his sentencing on Tuesday, Lane flipped his middle finger at people in the courtroom, which included family members of his victims, reported NBC affiliate WKYC.com. He revealed his "KILLER" T-shirt to the court once he was inside, taking off a blue button-down he had worn on the way in, the station reported.

Three students -- Demetrius Hewlin, 16; Russell King Jr., 17; and Daniel Parmertor, 16 -- were killed last February. Nate Mueller and Joy Rickers were wounded, as was Nick Walczak, who is paralyzed from the waist down, according to Reuters.

Lane has not given a motive for the shootings, which rocked the tiny town 30 miles outside Cleveland. He gave only a short, defiant statement in the courtroom on Tuesday: "This hand that pulled the trigger that killed your sons now masturbates to the memory. F--- all of you."

Gasps were heard in the courtroom as Lane then proceeded to stick up his middle finger at both his own relatives and those of his victims, The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported. Some people started crying.

Geauga County Judge David Fuhry sentenced Lane to three life sentences without eligibility for parole for three counts of murder, plus 8 years for a fourth count of attempted aggravated murder, 6 years for a fifth count of attempted aggravated murder, and 6 years for a sixth count of felonious assault.

In handing him the sentences, Fuhry said Lane lacked remorse for the killings. Lane was ruled mentally competent enough to stand trial last year despite evidence he suffers from hallucinations and psychosis. Fuhry said Tuesday that court examinations showed Lane faked mental illness and was such a smart student that he was set to graduate from high school early, Reuters reported.

The families of the boys who died in the shooting have attended every one of Lane’s court hearings, The Plain Dealer said. Other victims' family members also attended Tuesday's sentencing, and read statements to the court ahead of Lane's sentencing.

"Because of you, our quiet little town will never be the same. Why? Why did you do it? Why?" Holly Walczak, mother of paralyzed victim Nick Walczak, said in court on Tuesday. Lane smiled as she read her statement, The Plain Dealer said.

Dina Parmertor, mother of slain victim of Daniel, said, "I want you to be ensured years and years of pain, which in my opinion is not enough. You don’t deserve to take another breath while my 16-year-old son lies in the ground because of your cold, disgusting actions."

"You’re a pathetic excuse for a human being. In fact, you're not even human. You’re a monster," she added, according to The Plain Dealer.

Lane lived with his grandparents and attended an alternative school for students who haven't succeeded in traditional schools. He was waiting for the bus to his school from Chardon High when he began shooting from a .22-caliber semiautomatic Ruger handgun last February, according to police reports.

He was taken into custody a short distance from where the shootings happened.

Reuters contributed to this report.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I'm all for fair trials, appeals and all that, BUT...

This is in the next county over from where I'm currently residing. It's a small rural community, much like Steubenville, where high school football is king.

I'll wager that in ten, fifteen, years from now, this youngster will greatly regret these actions, and the previous ones.

"Lane lived with his grandparents and attended an alternative school for students who haven't succeeded in traditional schools. He was waiting for the bus to his school from Chardon High when he began shooting from a .22-caliber semiautomatic Ruger handgun last February, according to police reports."

This incident happened in the high school cafeteria, in a group of students. Lane was waiting in the cafeteria for a bus to deliver him to the alternative school, a school for troubled youth, when he pulled out the handgun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am sure he will still have that defiant smirk on his face after a year in the joint....

Don't drop the soap kid!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Normally it's certain liberals on this forum that wish homosexual rape on others. But I'll step up to the plate on this one: have fun getting violated in prison, troglodyte!
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    In some cases we really ought to have the option to take them out back and save us all the time and money of dragging it out... THIS is one of those cases!!
    It wasn't really dragged out much...he pled guilty to all charges and then was sentenced a month later...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    It wasn't really dragged out much...he pled guilty to all charges and then was sentenced a month later...
    in cases like this the death penalty should be on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    in cases like this the death penalty should be on the table.
    I agree 100% but avoiding the death penalty was probably apart of his deal if he pleaded guilty. I doubt this clown will even be put in Gen Pop when he goes to prison.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
    Normally it's certain liberals on this forum that wish homosexual rape on others. But I'll step up to the plate on this one: have fun getting violated in prison, troglodyte!
    My first thought when reading this.

"He has a purrrrttty mouth"

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
    I agree 100% but avoiding the death penalty was probably apart of his deal if he pleaded guilty. I doubt this clown will even be put in Gen Pop when he goes to prison.
    I understand the defendant was 17 at the time of the shooting, thus making him ineligible for execution even though he was convicted after he turned 18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I stand corrected, the crime was over a year ago... What a friggin douchebag. Steve45213 you are correct;

"Lane plead guilty on Feb. 26 to three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault. He was not eligible for the death penalty because he was 17 at the time of the shooting."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-school...ry?id=18763554

Flipping off the families of the slain and cursing at them.....classy move. I do like that he tried to get out of it by pleading insanity and they saw right through that....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings