Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm all for fair trials, appeals and all that, BUT...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: I'm all for fair trials, appeals and all that, BUT...

:frusty Another case of 'no child left behind' gone 'gangsta' on us. Corporal punishment anyone?? :noidea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    It wasn't really dragged out much...he pled guilty to all charges and then was sentenced a month later...
    Ah, I missed the guilty plea. Does make appeals much less likely.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Ah, I missed the guilty plea. Does make appeals much less likely.
    Yeah but you were right...the little @$$hat tried to fake insanity first...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve45213 View Post
    I understand the defendant was 17 at the time of the shooting, thus making him ineligible for execution even though he was convicted after he turned 18.
    How so? some states (tx iirc) has people who were sentenced to death who are minors..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    How so? some states (tx iirc) has people who were sentenced to death who are minors..
    Ummm...you do realize that each state makes their own rules right? Just because one state will execute minors doesn't mean Ohio does (anymore).;

2929.04 Death penalty or imprisonment - aggravating and mitigating factors.
    If one or more of the aggravating circumstances listed in division (A) of this section is specified in the indictment or count in the indictment and proved beyond a reasonable doubt, and if the offender did not raise the matter of age pursuant to section 2929.023 of the Revised Code or if the offender, after raising the matter of age, was found at trial to have been eighteen years of age or older at the time of the commission of the offense, the court, trial jury, or panel of three judges shall consider, and weigh against the aggravating circumstances proved beyond a reasonable doubt, the nature and circumstances of the offense, the history, character, and background of the offender, and all of the following factors:
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings