Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: Pride and Patriotism ?

  1. #1
    Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Pride and Patriotism ?

    So, there I was watching the news last night and drowning in sorrow over the financial posture and lackluster leadership of the United States. Every time I changed the channel, more news about the American crisis. In an attempt to turn a blind eye to the continual Congressional calamities, I decided to pick up the tangible, classic newspaper instead. Of course, this feeble attempt proved equally unworthy in my quest for something more patriotically uplifting.

    What a sad recollection I then had: I pondered how proud I was to be an American back in the ‘80’s with a fearless President that was just as intimidating off the movie screen as he was on it back in his Death Valley Days. Seeing an American flag gave me goose bumps making it easy to walk tall when we pulled into foreign ports and walked off the bridge after saluting the American flag. It was like being a Hollywood star myself having people you don’t even know swarm around you wanting to know what it’s like to be from the United States.

    While driving to work today, I took notice of all the American flags along the way and felt an overwhelming sadness of this Federal fecal typhoon we now endure. I mused myself even more on the forum threads I had with Quixotic, Chief Bosun, Robot Chicken, and garhkal about the naming of ships and what an afloat travesty that has become.

    Can someone tell me what has happened over the past 20 years that has brought such seemingly mockery to our country with all the negative International headlines?

    In other words, can someone provide please provide some verbal spirit and restore my pride and patriotism back to its original calibration?

    We all know how I, “Sea Lawyer, “ likes to kick the hornet’s nest so, let’s make our own connotative run for Congress here!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DC Metro Area
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    I'll bite.

    We've had cycles of ups and downs.

    In my lifetime I've seen Congress go from a group that not only had personal and political agendas, but the smarts to know when to put the agendas aside and work for the common good to a bunch of mostly self-serving folks that are legends in their own minds.

    I've seen where military service went from being a shared obligation to something to be avoided even if it mean turning tail and running to Canada, and if you served you were called a baby killer, and all folks could focus on was investigating the President and trying to impeach him after he had resigned from office. Later it went to where senior folks were on food stamps, and it was almost impossible to keep folks in the service.

    President Reagan, for all the negative things said about him, had one badly needed quality - he knew how to work a crowd, how to communicate, and more importantly, how to inspire. We managed to go from being a paper tiger back to a force to be reckoned with on the world stage.

    Then we lost something after the first Gulf Conflict - not sure if it was the so-called "Peace Dividend" resulting in career folks being forced out because there was no room for them, or what. Then came the events of 1996 where Congress forced a shutdown just because they could, and the feeling of "us against them" that has pervaded both the Legislative and Executive Branches since then.

    Now we for the most part have a bunch of folks in Congress that are so scared of their parties they almost can't go use the head without having to ask "Mommy may I" from the party leadership.

    Far as I'm concerned, we need to remember what has been going on at the polls in 2014 and 2016.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BURAWSKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    America is in decline and has been for years. Our elected leaders are only part of the reason. It is hard for me to blame the public either since we've been lied to so much by the government. The changes I've seen have not been for the better either. It will take another big change to improve things. Whether that positive change comes in the form of a second American Revolution, or by the ballot box - well, only time will tell!

  4. #4
    Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    America is in decline and has been for years. Our elected leaders are only part of the reason. It is hard for me to blame the public either since we've been lied to so much by the government. The changes I've seen have not been for the better either. It will take another big change to improve things. Whether that positive change comes in the form of a second American revolution, or voting - only time will tell.
    Indeed B! I've wondered myself when the next revolution will take place. Sometimes it seems that's the only way true Americans will ever regain their share as a stakeholder in this country.

    The average man can never be a Congressman because they don't have enough money to begin with. I wonder what Mount Rushmore would be saying right now if they could speak.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia City, Nevada USA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Decline of the US economically, culturally, etc...I have observed that we are being outperformed by many nations and NOT the result of our declining performance as much as other nations out performing the US in most ways measured...economically, standard of living, education, etc, etc. I have observed us in a status quo mode whereas the peoples of other coutries have been outworking, outstudying, out everything us...as if we are standing still. I observed this throughout my entire life...certainly noticed by/during the Vietnam war era and the 1980s were not an exception.

  6. #6
    Senior Member RobotChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    :spy The 'last war' has been fought! The 'war on drugs' is lost, same as in the '20's against the war on Canadian beer/booze. With our AF and political leaders (NAVY TOO) have sold our ship/aircraft production down the river to 'friendly countries'. F-35 tail sections built in the UK?? 48 states building one plane? Italian Diesel engines in mine sweepers that cannot handle trans Atlantic/Pacific tasking's?? Forward basing LCS cause they burn to much fuel and need one tanker to keep 4 underway? (take out the tanker,forget about the LCS's) And do NOT even think of repairing it over there,cause their ports will be taken out on the first attack. One does 'less with less', not more. So here's to the 'BLUE&GREY KOOL-AIDE type',......not to be confused with...... 'Fellow CONCERNED Airpeople and Shipmates'!! Airpeople...did I type that?? :typing :boom

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    retired usa
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    So, there I was watching the news last night and drowning in sorrow over the financial posture and lackluster leadership of the United States. Every time I changed the channel, more news about the American crisis. In an attempt to turn a blind eye to the continual Congressional calamities, I decided to pick up the tangible, classic newspaper instead. Of course, this feeble attempt proved equally unworthy in my quest for something more patriotically uplifting.

    What a sad recollection I then had: I pondered how proud I was to be an American back in the ‘80’s with a fearless President that was just as intimidating off the movie screen as he was on it back in his Death Valley Days. Seeing an American flag gave me goose bumps making it easy to walk tall when we pulled into foreign ports and walked off the bridge after saluting the American flag. It was like being a Hollywood star myself having people you don’t even know swarm around you wanting to know what it’s like to be from the United States.

    While driving to work today, I took notice of all the American flags along the way and felt an overwhelming sadness of this Federal fecal typhoon we now endure. I mused myself even more on the forum threads I had with Quixotic, Chief Bosun, Robot Chicken, and garhkal about the naming of ships and what an afloat travesty that has become.

    Can someone tell me what has happened over the past 20 years that has brought such seemingly mockery to our country with all the negative International headlines?

    In other words, can someone provide please provide some verbal spirit and restore my pride and patriotism back to its original calibration?

    We all know how I, “Sea Lawyer, “ likes to kick the hornet’s nest so, let’s make our own connotative run for Congress here!
    Watch the online movie "Grinding Down America". Don't just google it for others views of the movie, watch the entire movie. The movie's claims have been validated by outside resources and proven to be true. The movie takes 90 minutes but the time flys by and all of your questions will be answered. I am troubled by the amount of Americans who just accept what America has become.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Robert F. Dorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oakton, Virginia
    Posts
    894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    I am troubled by the amount of Americans who just accept what America has become.
    What do you expect from a country that has gone from almost 100% literacy in my lifetime to 75%?

  9. #9
    Senior Member RobotChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    What do you expect from a country that has gone from almost 100% literacy in my lifetime to 75%?
    :eyebrows And THIS is what I :love about Bob....:brick TELLS it like it IS.......:typing

  10. #10
    Member SeaLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Here, There, and Everywhere
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    What do you expect from a country that has gone from almost 100% literacy in my lifetime to 75%?
    Now THAT's a great point Bob! I do; however, feel you are being generous with those numbers though. Then again, I guess it depends on the definition of "literate." There are plenty of people out there that have a college degree yet still seem illiterate. Your post certainly provokes more thought though!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •