Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pride and Patriotism ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Pride and Patriotism ?

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    Watch the online movie "Grinding Down America". Don't just google it for others views of the movie, watch the entire movie. The movie's claims have been validated by outside resources and proven to be true. The movie takes 90 minutes but the time flys by and all of your questions will be answered. I am troubled by the amount of Americans who just accept what America has become.
    Thanks a lot tiredretiredE7... I'm now engrossed with your recommended video. Going to have to watch it piecemeal but certainly has my attention. Thanks for the lead. On a side note, let me reciprocate and recommend "An American Carol" if you haven't seen it already. Came out in 2008 and it's about an anti-American filmmaker who's out to abolish the July Fourth holiday and is visited by three ghosts who try to change his perception of the country. It's starting to seem more a reality than a fictitious movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    So, there I was watching the news last night and drowning in sorrow over the financial posture and lackluster leadership of the United States. Every time I changed the channel, more news about the American crisis. In an attempt to turn a blind eye to the continual Congressional calamities, I decided to pick up the tangible, classic newspaper instead. Of course, this feeble attempt proved equally unworthy in my quest for something more patriotically uplifting.

What a sad recollection I then had: I pondered how proud I was to be an American back in the ‘80’s with a fearless President that was just as intimidating off the movie screen as he was on it back in his Death Valley Days. Seeing an American flag gave me goose bumps making it easy to walk tall when we pulled into foreign ports and walked off the bridge after saluting the American flag. It was like being a Hollywood star myself having people you don’t even know swarm around you wanting to know what it’s like to be from the United States.

While driving to work today, I took notice of all the American flags along the way and felt an overwhelming sadness of this Federal fecal typhoon we now endure. I mused myself even more on the forum threads I had with Quixotic, Chief Bosun, Robot Chicken, and garhkal about the naming of ships and what an afloat travesty that has become.

Can someone tell me what has happened over the past 20 years that has brought such seemingly mockery to our country with all the negative International headlines?

In other words, can someone provide please provide some verbal spirit and restore my pride and patriotism back to its original calibration?

We all know how I, “Sea Lawyer, “ likes to kick the hornet’s nest so, let’s make our own connotative run for Congress here!
    Most of the problems that we see today have been around for decades. It's just that 30 years ago we all had to rely on what Walter Cronkite and Peter Jennings told us in 30 mins each night and what your printed Newspaper told us each morning, and what they said was final. You had to be a serious political and news junkie to find out what was really going on in our governement back then. Today, almost every american has access at their fingertips to hundreds and hundreds of news stories reported in social media, internet, and endless cable news channels.
    It's a pretty safe bet to say that if we had the technology that we have today 30 years ago, then you can be sure that Carter, Reagan, and even the Clinton administrations, along with the congressional leaders at the time would have vastly different outcomes than the did as millions of people would have had instant access to the media like they due today.
    With 330 milion of us today with almost as many opnions on how our society should be run and thousands of ways to express our opinions, It is going to be very difficult if not impossible for any politician to break through the barriers that need to be broken to get the country moving in "any" direction again.....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by navyskcs View Post
    Most of the problems that we see today have been around for decades. It's just that 30 years ago we all had to rely on what Walter Cronkite and Peter Jennings told us in 30 mins each night and what your printed Newspaper told us each morning, and what they said was final. You had to be a serious political and news junkie to find out what was really going on in our governement back then. Today, almost every american has access at their fingertips to hundreds and hundreds of news stories reported in social media, internet, and endless cable news channels.
    It's a pretty safe bet to say that if we had the technology that we have today 30 years ago, then you can be sure that Carter, Reagan, and even the Clinton administrations, along with the congressional leaders at the time would have vastly different outcomes than the did as millions of people would have had instant access to the media like they due today.
    With 330 milion of us today with almost as many opnions on how our society should be run and thousands of ways to express our opinions, It is going to be very difficult if not impossible for any politician to break through the barriers that need to be broken to get the country moving in "any" direction again.....
    You make a great point regarding the technology at our fingertips, skcs! On the lighter side, the US was well aware of Carter's gas crisis back in the mid 70's as evidenced by the unbelievably long lines at the gas pumps. I agree, these issues have certainly plagued us for all these decades but the technology just seems to serve as an informational multiplier by compounding the issues at hand but, using this same technology, I can't seem to find a single electronic archive highlighting any of our former Presidents that have driven America to the economic catastrophe we now endure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we, as a nation, have lost our sense of shame and accountability for our actions. To the rest of the world we look like insufferable spoiled rich kids. Conduct that at one time made you the object of ridicule and the butt of jokes now gets you your own TV show.

Edit: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve45213 View Post
    I think we, as a nation, have lost our sense of shame and accountability for our actions. To the rest of the world we look like insufferable spoiled rich kids. Conduct that at one time made you the object of ridicule and the butt of jokes now gets you your own TV show.

Sacre bleu!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are correct. The nation as it stands right now are made up of a majority of spoiled brats who want me me me. Whenever something doesn't go there way they want to complain and sue somebody for being discriminated against. The nation has become a nation of people wanting to do just enough to get by and still get rewarded like they did hard work.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    You are correct. The nation as it stands right now are made up of a majority of spoiled brats who want me me me. Whenever something doesn't go there way they want to complain and sue somebody for being discriminated against. The nation has become a nation of people wanting to do just enough to get by and still get rewarded like they did hard work.
    And to further the problem, the rest have become accepting of this type of behavior; apologetic even. It's now okay for people to feel this way because if their behavior is corrected it may be detrimental to their development. The forced apethy in the country is killing us.

When people try to correct this sort of thing (eg. Bill Cosby) they are attacked.

The sad part is we could be so great. With our technology and opportunities the younger generation could thrive. They could become the envy of the world, as we used to have. Unfortunately, there is no drive, no discipline, no work ethic by the future generation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

...Conduct that at one time made you the object of ridicule and the butt of jokes now gets you your own TV show...

... Or a seat in Congress!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Concur. Add to that, we seem to be more concerned with the marital issues of someone with a dubious claim to fame instead of issues that cause lasting harm to people and impede the improvement of the standard of living of our population.

Also, we lost sight of what President Kennedy said about not asking what the country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. Too many seem to think they are owed a job that they like in a place where they want to live instead of realizing that you have to take what you get and do what it takes to earn the job you think you want and to afford a home in the place you think you want to live.

But then, I'm just a knuckle-dragger raised by parents who grew up in the midwest during the Great Depression, and lived in a time when everyone had to chip in to support the family instead of just being handed things by parents who didn't want their kids to go through what they went through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    Now THAT's a great point Bob! I do; however, feel you are being generous with those numbers though. Then again, I guess it depends on the definition of "literate." There are plenty of people out there that have a college degree yet still seem illiterate. Your post certainly provokes more thought though!
    Generous?

My number is from a survey that was limited to American-born, native speakers of American English. The study ruled out immigrants because many are literate in other languages. The study concluded that about 25 percent of adult Americans have significant difficulty reading, understanding, and acting upon a moderately complex sentence in the English language.

Want proof? Just Google "Military Times Forums." You'll be astonished at how much difficulty people have with spelling, punctuation, grammar and clarity. And these mofos are part of the 75 percent. Some of them even have copies of "MISSION TO TOKYO." As an author of books, magazines and newspaper columns I've been forced in recent years to explain terms that anyone would have understood earlier and to dumb down my texts for the median American adult of today.