Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Medical Mix Up Leads to Organ Harvest Gone Bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Military Medical Mix Up Leads to Organ Harvest Gone Bad.

http://www.stripes.com/news/nc-woman...rgans-1.212392

Shockingly authentic public health blunders worthy as a storyline for fictional NCIS television show. :scared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Military Medical Mix Up Leads to Organ Harvest Gone Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticThunder View Post
    http://www.stripes.com/news/nc-woman...rgans-1.212392

Shockingly authentic public health blunders worthy as a storyline for fictional NCIS television show. :scared
    The guy was transferred to and died in a civilian hospital, so I'm not sure how that is a military medical mix up.

Testing people for rabies is not routine, and if he wasn't exhibiting symptoms and didn't indicate that he had possibly been exposed, it's unlikely he'd be tested at a civilian hospital. The rarity of human rabies cases in the US means that most medical professionals, military and otherwise, are not even going to think rabies unless someone says they were scratched or bit by an animal.

As for the organ donation--rabies tests are not done(again, because it's very rare in the US to see a person infected), and the incubation period, although normally 1-3 months, can be as short as a week or longer than a year. There are only a few labs in the US that perform human rabies testing, so it's not feasible for organ donation to make that part of routine testing. I think rabies-infected organs were transplanted a few years ago(can't remember if it was the US or somewhere in Europe). Some surgeons will refuse to transplant organs from a person with encephalitis for which no definitive cause is found.

I was discussing this with a few people the other day--I think it's wrong to allow organ donation when someone dies and they cannot pinpoint/rule out a contagious disease. I don't know if recipients are required to acknowledge that they might be receiving an organ that could harbor an infectious disease(I would assume yes). Transplants are risky, even those that have a high survival rate, but I can't say that I wouldn't take the risk if I knew I would die without a transplant. For some people, transplant increases lifespan considerably, but for others, it essentially just gives them a little more time they wouldn't have otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They probably thought it was lupus.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    They probably thought it was lupus.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sarcoidosis? Or maybe we should just treat with interferon and see what happens.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    Sarcoidosis? Or maybe we should just treat with interferon and see what happens.
    Broad spectrum antibiotics should do the trick.
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Scrubs did an episode of human rabies in organ donations. It's so rare that they can't just test of it. You test for every single thing KNOWN and the costs go up so astronomically high that only Bill Gates and Warren Buffet could afford one organ between them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbean View Post
    The guy was transferred to and died in a civilian hospital, so I'm not sure how that is a military medical mix up.
    I think the OP was going on about how this story from the civ sector was recently aired on NCIS LA as a comparison to how RL impacts TV..

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbean View Post
    I was discussing this with a few people the other day--I think it's wrong to allow organ donation when someone dies and they cannot pinpoint/rule out a contagious disease. I don't know if recipients are required to acknowledge that they might be receiving an organ that could harbor an infectious disease(I would assume yes). Transplants are risky, even those that have a high survival rate, but I can't say that I wouldn't take the risk if I knew I would die without a transplant. For some people, transplant increases lifespan considerably, but for others, it essentially just gives them a little more time they wouldn't have otherwise.
    True.. 2 of the long time friends of our family back in the UK got liver transplants after ruining theirs with alcohol. 1 was back on the needing a transplant list 5 yrs later cause of his drinking issue.. IMO those types of people should go to the BACK of the wait list.
    And as to allowing them to come from someone who Might have died from a disease... 1000% in agreement.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Now saying all that it does bring up the point.. Some states are looking to try and go to an "Opt out" rather than "Opt in" for people and organ donation, cause there is such a massive backlog in those who are doners.

So who here is supportive of that?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Now saying all that it does bring up the point.. Some states are looking to try and go to an "Opt out" rather than "Opt in" for people and organ donation, cause there is such a massive backlog in those who are doners.

So who here is supportive of that?
    Absolutely a great idea. Corpses don't do anybody any good rotting in the ground. If someone has a strong religious/other objection to his organs being used... he should be willing to spend that extra time to opt out of the system. If you oppose being harvested, but can't be bothered to spend 20 minutes on the internet taking your name off the list... then clearly you didn't feel that strongly about it.