Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Legion: one happy family?

JD2780

Re: American Legion: one happy family?

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm a member of the AL. I will attend more once I'm retired.

I find in funny (not "ha ha" funny) that people will constantly bitch that there is no tradition in anything we do while at the same time bitch that organizations are "outdated". The VFW and AL are what they are. For those who aren't into what they do there are several other organizations you can join, if you want to join one, which are more "updated". I, for one, love the old guys sitting around drinking and smoking.

And, by the way, the WWII generation did much more for this country than anyone since. And I bet not one of them complained that the military wouldn't pay for them to get a degree.
    I bet not one was given TA just to have it taken away.

Also, I enjoy sitting around listening to those guys as well. What I dont like is the attitude that some provide. My generation doesnt know what they went though, or how can a man be the one raising the kids? Tradition is good, however some decent logic needs to be applied as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, the article was one sided. It was a sales gimmick pro-AL... typical of most media outlets, the article was never going to go into the investigation of why today's vets are not joining.

As far as the "greatest generation" comment, I hate it! It is like calling the Dallas Cowboys "America's team". I call BS on both. Very few of this generation wanted a war, they didn't join the war to defeat a terrible wrongness, it was not a crusade. Isolationism was the name of the game... during WW2... 10 million conscripts and only 6 million volunteers.... I do not take away from the sacrifices these people made, but that generation had its up and downs like ALL other generations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    That would explain why my applications keep getting turned down. I'm such a pussy. Shouldve known better. I wonder if the Girl Scouts need troop leaders
    I can probably get you in up in Navarre...you have to promise you'll behave. We are mostly former Air Commando's and we don't play.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    I can probably get you in up in Navarre...you have to promise you'll behave. We are mostly former Air Commando's and we don't play.
    How long do I have to be a hang around, then prospect? Just kidding. I've driven by there a few times on 98 and almost never see cars in the driveway. Whats up there?

FLAPS

How long do I have to be a hang around, then prospect? Just kidding. I've driven by there a few times on 98 and almost never see cars in the driveway. Whats up there?
    A lot of the posts are only open for a couple hours per day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're probably thinking of the VFW. The legion is farther up and it's actually a busy place. The smoke will kill you though.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    You're probably thinking of the VFW. The legion is farther up and it's actually a busy place. The smoke will kill you though.
    Maybe, pretty sure if was the ACA though. Who knows. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I take my drive from Valp to Midway, just to get told I'm doing everything wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TVANSCOT View Post
    I agree, the article was one sided. It was a sales gimmick pro-AL... typical of most media outlets, the article was never going to go into the investigation of why today's vets are not joining.

As far as the "greatest generation" comment, I hate it! It is like calling the Dallas Cowboys "America's team". I call BS on both. Very few of this generation wanted a war, they didn't join the war to defeat a terrible wrongness, it was not a crusade. Isolationism was the name of the game... during WW2... 10 million conscripts and only 6 million volunteers.... I do not take away from the sacrifices these people made, but that generation had its up and downs like ALL other generations.
    First, I think the purpose of the article was to highlight the decline in socialization of troops returning home as well as the fissures between two generations that have experienced war. I don't fault the Times for not pointing out very legitimate grievances (to which I myself have alluded) anymore than I fault the AF Times for not mentioning Jill Metzger each time it writes about women in combat.

As for the "Greatest Generation" hoopla, I don't care what they call themselves. What I do resent is when people scoff at Generation X and Y as "soft," "spoiled," "greedy," etc. By my count, when generations before us deployed, they socialized, dated, and married the local women, were permitted to consume alchohol, and worked shorter days. And all in all, our ability to accomplish an abstract mission to the best of our abilities while maintaining status as one of the nation's most trusted institutions is not an easy accomplishment. So I do take pride in my generation and what we've accomplished in spite of the attempts by our predecessors to obstruct it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    If another dude was checking me out I'd be flattered. I know I'm a sex-machine, but I do appreciate reminders.

FLAPS

TAK is encouraging other MTF members to act against me by selectively misquoting a post I made on his "life thread."