Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elmendorf, One Happy Family?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elmendorf, One Happy Family?

Not!

My last assignment was there and I retired there. Loved my job and Alaska in general, but the squadron and base in general was NOT a close family!

Traditionally, being based overseas, which Alaska technically is, means the military folks are more closely knit. The whole time in my squadron, I never saw any such thing. Upper leadership was all about itself and making itself look good. And the Brigadier General that was our base commander committed suicide about 2008. Go figure.

And a place like Alaska needs it! Winter months can be torture, not so much because of the cold, but having only 4-5 hours of daylight in the wintertime can make a person lose it.

I kept up with my troops in the dorms as I could, but interestingly enough, most of the dorm rats never got out all that much. Plus a list of repressive rules to deal with, i.e., no alcohol, quiet hours 24/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Elmendorf, One Happy Family?

Gen Tinsley was trying to build up the base for Real Maintenance airmen,guess the hangers went to 'mid east secret bases' with air conditioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In visits to Elmendorf, I saw extremes: people who loved it; people who hated it. Base looks too big, too complex and too close to the city to be a natural environment for a lot of cohesion.

JD2780

Never heard of a single person that disliked it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's PACAF in general, very dysfunctional.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Elmendorf is hit and miss. If you are a lover of urban culture and sophistication, you are going to hate it; if you love the outdoors and natural beauty, you are going to love it. Alaska is definitely a different world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Elmendorf is hit and miss. If you are a lover of urban culture and sophistication, you are going to hate it; if you love the outdoors and natural beauty, you are going to love it. Alaska is definitely a different world.
    Enjoyed about half a dozen visits there a decade ago, including a back-seat flight in an F-15E Strike Eagle of the 90th Fighter Squadron. In Anchorage, I saw many of the corporate names that have blighted our landscape and stolen its individuality (Home Depot, McDonald's) but I also saw a lot more individually owned and operated retail outlets than you'll find in most cities. After three years in Stockholm, I've had my fill of dark northern winter nights so I think I'll stick with the Lower Forty-Eight at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    I think it's PACAF in general, very dysfunctional.
    Guess who deserves the credit for that. The answer is pretty obvious although it might be more appropriate on the Kunsan thread than the Elmendorf thread.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Guess who deserves the credit for that. The answer is pretty obvious although it might be more appropriate on the Kunsan thread than the Elmendorf thread.
    Bush???...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Were I Willspowers, I would blame Gary North.