Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Tuition-aid cuts

  1. #21
    Senior Member BURAWSKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by navyskcs View Post
    There's that dirty little word "hope" again. Hope isn't going to solve our problems. Electing qualifed people who can really make a difference(dem or repub) will. If the average american voter would spend just 3 hours researching the positions of the candidates on their particular ballot and come up with a "informed" decision on who they will vote for, then we wouldn't be in this situation. Unfortuantly, most americans do not take the time to check out the ballot in advance and tend to vote for whoever the last candidate they saw on TV or in the mailer and we end up voting those folks in regardless if they can do the job or not.
    You are right about the public not doing their research on these candidates. But in their defense I have to blame the media as well. Just look at the Presidential debates. They were not even debates. I call them infomercials because that's all they were. Expecting a candiate to answer a complicated question in 60 seconds or less is not a debate. It isn't even an intellectual discussion. The public is fed attack ads that have absolutely nothing to do with the issues at hand. If fact, the media publicizes outright lies, have-truths, innuedo and gossip and calls it news. So where exactly does that leave us? No I don't think we deserve this. We are getting screwed and I don't think it is right to lay the blame on the voting public. Instead I would put the accountability on the people who agree to represent us. No matter what these politicians believe in or what their views are they still have a duty to perform their jobs. They are not performing and to blame the public is not exactly right either.

  2. #22
    Senior Member efmbman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bosun View Post
    And there was a reason for that.

    Idea was to force action before it took effect to come up with some (so-called) intelligent ways to trim the budget.

    Problem is, once the elections were over the folks that hold sway over the process decided to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.
    That is one way to look at it... but something else is bothering me about all this:

    The Budget Control Act established the super-committee that was tasked to reduce the deficit dramatically. Included in the Act was a provision for automatic cuts should the super committee fail. As we all know, they did fail. My concern is that the Act basically sends the message that Congress knew, or at least anticipated and would allow, failure. What entity does this as a business practice? Plan for failure in current operations? They should have locked those people in a room and not let them out until an agreement was hammered out. I know in my heart that since the sequestration was "Plan B" none of them took their duties on the super committee seriously. They all figured that the other side would cave in. Neither side caved. Now it is the people that suffer.

    Does anyone realize that 80% of the House members that voted in favor of the Budget Control Act were returned to Congress? That is Dems and Repubs. 80%.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Coast
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    You are right about the public not doing their research on these candidates. But in their defense I have to blame the media as well. Just look at the Presidential debates. They were not even debates. I call them infomercials because that's all they were. Expecting a candiate to answer a complicated question in 60 seconds or less is not a debate. It isn't even an intellectual discussion. The public is fed attack ads that have absolutely nothing to do with the issues at hand. If fact, the media publicizes outright lies, have-truths, innuedo and gossip and calls it news. So where exactly does that leave us? No I don't think we deserve this. We are getting screwed and I don't think it is right to lay the blame on the voting public. Instead I would put the accountability on the people who agree to represent us. No matter what these politicians believe in or what their views are they still have a duty to perform their jobs. They are not performing and to blame the public is not exactly right either.
    Well said!!

  4. #24
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    How did our military possibly function before TA and degrees for everyone? I'm amazed we weren't wiped off the face of the Earth.

    What a bunch of greedy people. It's really and embarrassment that people are so up in arms about this but have little to say about people losing jobs and having hours cut. For those of you using the military to get your "education", too frickin' bad. Do what everyone else in the country has to do. Pay for it. Hopefully you realize people pay for college every day while working at places like McDonalds. You're making 5-10 times what they're making. If it's not important enough to you to come out of pocket, or apply for grants, or take advantage of several other options, then it must not be that important.

    Good lord we're all a bunch of entitled children. For anyone who questions why are country is in the tank financially, take a look in the mirror.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Quixotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    How did our military possibly function before TA and degrees for everyone? I'm amazed we weren't wiped off the face of the Earth.

    What a bunch of greedy people. It's really and embarrassment that people are so up in arms about this but have little to say about people losing jobs and having hours cut. For those of you using the military to get your "education", too frickin' bad. Do what everyone else in the country has to do. Pay for it. Hopefully you realize people pay for college every day while working at places like McDonalds. You're making 5-10 times what they're making. If it's not important enough to you to come out of pocket, or apply for grants, or take advantage of several other options, then it must not be that important.

    Good lord we're all a bunch of entitled children. For anyone who questions why are country is in the tank financially, take a look in the mirror.
    Yes, your McDonald's analogy speaks volumes towards your ignorance of the situation.
    "Chief, I have never been, or ever will be, a Warrior.
    Doesn't matter how many times you make me say it, it will never be true."

  6. #26
    Senior Member Quixotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    We lost TA because of sequestration and the political ineptitude of both the Democrats and the Republicans on Capital Hill who thought that it was a great idea. And now, 104,000 of us have been thrown under the bus with the whimsical stroke of a pen. TA costs the Air Force $128 million annually and that is still, even today, chump change easily picked up off the hallway floors of the Pentagon. TA was cut knowing that we would all get mad and be vocal about it, TA was cut to make a political statement. By cutting TA in this manner, faith has been broken. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a mission to go ignore.
    "Chief, I have never been, or ever will be, a Warrior.
    Doesn't matter how many times you make me say it, it will never be true."

  7. #27
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    We lost TA because of sequestration and the political ineptitude of both the Democrats and the Republicans on Capital Hill who thought that it was a great idea. And now, 104,000 of us have been thrown under the bus with the whimsical stroke of a pen. TA costs the Air Force $128 million annually and that is still, even today, chump change easily picked up off the hallway floors of the Pentagon. TA was cut knowing that we would all get mad and be vocal about it, TA was cut to make a political statement. By cutting TA in this manner, faith has been broken. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a mission to go ignore.
    How are you thrown under the bus? What have you lost, other than something that was "extra" in the first place. If the biggest thing you have to complain about it that you can't get your college degree fully paid for anymore then I'm sure you'll be fine. And if the only reason you were putting effort into the job is because of TA then you're better off, and so are the rest of us, if you take your ball and go home.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Quixotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    How are you thrown under the bus? What have you lost, other than something that was "extra" in the first place. If the biggest thing you have to complain about it that you can't get your college degree fully paid for anymore then I'm sure you'll be fine. And if the only reason you were putting effort into the job is because of TA then you're better off, and so are the rest of us, if you take your ball and go home.
    If you can't understand how having a major source of funding for higher educational goals suddenly terminated to make a political statement isn't being thrown under the bus, well, my earlier comment about your level of ignorance pretty much says it all I think.
    "Chief, I have never been, or ever will be, a Warrior.
    Doesn't matter how many times you make me say it, it will never be true."

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Coast
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Political or not it still sucks we lost it. Sands and Quix you are both right IMHO it was a benifit that went away. Yet each side is using it for their own reasons...

  10. #30
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition-aid cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    If you can't understand how having a major source of funding for higher educational goals suddenly terminated to make a political statement isn't being thrown under the bus, well, my earlier comment about your level of ignorance pretty much says it all I think.
    Alrighty. I just hope that Bed, Bath, and Beyond doesn't take away your military discount. You deserve it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •