Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Osan AFB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Osan AFB

I just arrived in Korea in January and I love it, I am very lucky not to be stationed at Osan, I was there last night shopping and hanging out and I was shocked to see so many uniformed First SSgts, Supervisors, NCOs and SPS walked around with nothing else better to do at 8pm then to go door to door checkout out every store and building. I honestly just sat back and laughed my ass off, I kept thinking that if I was stationed at Osan I would never stay in the local area on my weekends off because its worse then being in grade school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Osan AFB

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    I just arrived in Korea in January and I love it, I am very lucky not to be stationed at Osan, I was there last night shopping and hanging out and I was shocked to see so many uniformed First SSgts, Supervisors, NCOs and SPS walked around with nothing else better to do at 8pm then to go door to door checkout out every store and building. I honestly just sat back and laughed my ass off, I kept thinking that if I was stationed at Osan I would never stay in the local area on my weekends off because its worse then being in grade school.
    Isn't that what you were doing, staying in the local area on your weekend off. Your post has already lost credibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the post is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First SSgts. Good one.

The Sinjang Shopping Mall area (as the area of bars, stores, and restaurants outside the Osan AB main gate is officially known) is pathetic. There are a few decent coffee cafes to unwind in & there are some really good restaurants, but everything takes a nose dive after about 9pm...especially on a payday Friday/Saturday or post-ORE.

The only people that stay "local" are Juicy Slayers and those too lazy/too scared to learn how to use the excellent Korean public transit network and go to Seoul, Incheon, Busan, Suwon, etc.

Seoul is where it's at; the Osan AB area is just sh*t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jump all over me for not knowing Air Force terminology and then call it Osan AFB? It wasn't Osan AFB when I arrived there in 1958 and it wasn't Osan AFB when you arrived there in 2013. You do make an excellent point, however. A lot of people described the situation you describe when we talked to them for an article now in preparation about Kunsan Air Base which, oddly, they like a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    First SSgts. Good one.

The Sinjang Shopping Mall area (as the area of bars, stores, and restaurants outside the Osan AB main gate is officially known) is pathetic. There are a few decent coffee cafes to unwind in & there are some really good restaurants, but everything takes a nose dive after about 9pm...especially on a payday Friday/Saturday or post-ORE.

The only people that stay "local" are Juicy Slayers and those too lazy/too scared to learn how to use the excellent Korean public transit network and go to Seoul, Incheon, Busan, Suwon, etc.

Everything you wrote is 100% correct. The cities you mentioned are great as far as cities go, but getting out in the country is where I really learned to love Korea and the people.

I saw a photo of a dumb Osan Queen once taken outside of the Osan gate. Her caption said "downtown Korea". Really? As if Sinjang is the center of Korea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    First SSgts. Good one.

Damn double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Everything you wrote is 100% correct. The cities you mentioned are great as far as cities go, but getting out in the country is where I really learned to love Korea and the people.

I saw a photo of a dumb Osan Queen once taken outside of the Osan gate. Her caption said "downtown Korea". Really? As if Sinjang is the center of Korea.
    Yes, you are right. I was too focused on the cities; getting into the country of South Korea is amazing. From mountains in the north/northeast to the beaches of the south and Jeju Island, South Korea is gorgeous. And Korean people are very hospitable and friendly; respect and manners go a long way in Korean culture.

Also, Koreans rival Italians in their love of and passion for food. I arrived in Korea with a weary eye towards their food but left with a great appreciation for it and many memories of kind Koreans (both strangers and Koreans from work) who gladly stuffed my face for me with their offerings.

FLAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    " Thanks; I've been around before. Between the surge in "Tak Action" and Pick Your Battles' consistent display of his chromosome deficiencies, I could not stay away. "

Boss302
    FW is #1 in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of people there are married and unaccompanied. I got there as a MSgt and my wife was back in CA raising 2 very young boys and she couldn't work with me gone. We didn't get any COLA at the time. So needless to say, I couldn't really justify running around traveling, drinking, and spending all my family's money on myself while she was at home trying to make ends meet. Maybe some have priorities that are higher than themselves.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman