Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has any base cut off the cable yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Has any base cut off the cable yet?

:clock Move that super air conditioned hanger in FLA to test 'real world cold' on air frames to Alaska for goodness sake; that's a Noooooo-brainer .....unless it gets in the way of sun tans for the inspectors stationed in Alaska! Put in a Arnold Palmer class 27 hole golf course with a '19th hole bar and stripper club'(MALE&FEMALE of course) next to the Pentagon for contractors/lobbyist/Congress to make their shady deals instead of exotic locals. And...Contract 'Virgin Atlantic' to fly all AF aircraft, on time, 100% ready to rock and roll at a moments notice, even to space!! TU-144 under special request when you have to get there yesterday!! (in the works I read, Brits would not sell him the Concord fleet) LAST...No GENERALS out number the total amount of bombers.........Now that's a start! :rantlane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethon View Post
    There are a lot of things that can be done to help lower the budget. Is a, MAYBE, 500 dollar a month cable bill for the base going to solve this crisis?
    This is one of many reasons the DOD has an overblown budget; everything is small potatoes no one cares to cut.

When a family needs extra cash do they sell their vehicle first and cut the big expenses or do they cut backing eating out and the cell phone or cable?

It's the same principal when it comes to reducing costs, the dollars add up.

And the base cable bill is more than that. One squadron alone I was in paid more than that a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    This is one of many reasons the DOD has an overblown budget; everything is small potatoes no one cares to cut.

When a family needs extra cash do they sell their vehicle first and cut the big expenses or do they cut backing eating out and the cell phone or cable?

And the base cable bill is more than that. One squadron alone I was in paid more than that a month.

At the HQ level I feel like it's the opposite. Everything seems to be big potatoes, and nobody can live without anything, until they're forced too, if they're ever forced too.

Meager cuts are nice at the unit level, but if we really want to save a buck or two, we're talking about far more massive cuts at a programmatic level. When we're talking about cable bills and TVs, I feel like we're saying, "If I can't have a box of pens and a case of paper, you shouldn't have cable in your office." The thing is, you should be able to purchase your pens, paper, PPE, etc., and your CC should be able to keep his cable too. The truly small fry expenses shouldn't be an issue, even now. The larger expenses, i.e. flying hours, are a different ball game and chucking the small stuff isn't going to undue the damage there.

With all that said, we need to keep in mind that this FY is a mess, and we can't yet assume the next FY will be just as messy, if not messier.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo77 View Post
    NOT buying giant moniters (TV screens) would be a good way to reduce spending.

When I envy the cargo headed to Afghanistan (80" TVs) as being better than the TV in my home, I really begin to question priorities.
    80 inchers heading to the combat zone? What the he(( for?

But i agree.. its somewhat pointless hitting the units themselves to make cuts when the overarching big commands do not change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post

And when a family owns investment properties whose rent is lower than they've been at any time in the last 75 years, they realize raising the rent will help pay the bills too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    If another dude was checking me out I'd be flattered. I know I'm a sex-machine, but I do appreciate reminders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamethon View Post
    Why don't we stop replacing computer monitors every year? How about instead of government issued BlackBerry's for e-mail purposes, we make it to where you can sync your e-mail with your personal phone, computer, etc.?
    Because that would require the DoD to allow non-network devices to have access to their servers and we all know how THAT works out... You would also have to allow non-network devices the ability to decrypt messages from the DoD server... etc....etc...etc... You think we have a problem with personal data leaking now? Just wait until all the data is availible to any device that has ever been owned by anyone that has ever been affiliated with the DoD....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

JD2780

What if the sq wanted to pay for its own cable. Not with Sq funds but with booster funds or with Sq dues? Not mandatory, but if people wanted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not OTA broadcast?
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    What if the sq wanted to pay for its own cable. Not with Sq funds but with booster funds or with Sq dues? Not mandatory, but if people wanted to.
    Seen that done...

Heck one of my overseas bases had us link our funds in our shop to purchase 3 UFC pay per views that were being held in the UK while i was there.. since normally AFN shows then for free if held in the US, they were not free that time.. So we all pitched in, brought beer/food and had a shop party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    If a SQ wanted to do that, I have a feeling that "donations" would quickly become mandatory...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings