Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: SERE the gender neutral standard?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    There is a lot of physical endurance required for SERE instructor. This is probably one of the most demanding career fields there is. I think many beret types get butt hurt and try to put them down but it is my understanding they are the elite. I don't think many beret wearers will say something to a SERE instructor's face. To be honest...I think many are scared of them.
    It is a physically demanding career field for sure (at least to get in), but not the hardest. They are not elite, just a very specialized career field that doesnt overlap into anything like many other AFSCs and they work very close with aircrew who basically run the Air Force so they get a lot of good benefits and recognition. Not sure why they get so much funding to jump and air force riggers rarely get to jump for example.
    Also you will hear a lot of them get called "SERE J's" since so many of them failed out of PJ school and a lot of them think they should be in the stack when a door is being ready to get kicked in. They do have some very good skills when it comes to survival and reintegration.

  2. #12
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    "What are you trying to say?"

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    retired usa
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    But ... but ... they got a beret. They must be BAMF battlefield Airmen.




    Like cops.
    Yes and the campaign hat makes MTIs bad@$$. Don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Bru found us all out. Good work. We're also terrified of the Boy Scouts of America.
    Rainmaker got better survival training from the Boy Scouts then he did from SV 80 and at least they don't accept homos

  5. #15
    Senior Member Smeghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    Yes and the campaign hat makes MTIs bad@$$. Don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse.
    I'm no longer an MTI, so no glass house here, dickhead. In fact this thread has nothing to do with MTIs. It's talking about SERE. They get a beret, apparently the beret is the symbol of all things badassed, that's why your tools got them right? And, MTIs are not the ones claiming to be Battlefield Airmen, so how am I throwing stones again?

    http://www.moody.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123330837

  6. #16
    Senior Member Smeghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    Yes and the campaign hat makes MTIs bad@$$. Don't throw stones when you live in a glasshouse.
    I'm not an MTI any more, so no glass house here, dickhead. But this thread is not about MTIs, it's about SERE and their specialness. They got a beret, so they must be special and badass right? That's how your douches got one. Sec Fo!!!! And last time I checked, MTIs are not the ones claiming to be part of the Battlefield Airmen group. So how exactly am I throwing stones again?

    http://www.moody.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123330837

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Rainmaker got better survival training from the Boy Scouts then he did from SV 80 and at least they don't accept homos
    ^pretty funny..

    i think SERE is like any other careerfield that is specialized.. you get some d-bags but most of them are solid dudes. as far as the standard being gender neutral, you'd have to ask them off the record. only they would know if the females in the careerfield were ridden as hard as everyone else or eased up on by leadership because of the novelty factor. i'd probably be willing to bet though that any female SERE instructor would probably be as good or better than your average male.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    I'm not an MTI any more, so no glass house here, dickhead. But this thread is not about MTIs, it's about SERE and their specialness. They got a beret, so they must be special and badass right? That's how your douches got one. Sec Fo!!!! And last time I checked, MTIs are not the ones claiming to be part of the Battlefield Airmen group. So how exactly am I throwing stones again?

    http://www.moody.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123330837
    i'm so tired of the BS.. battlefield airmen is such choad terminology. who gives a sh*t what peoples jobs are as long as they do them well and contribute. if finance helps me out then they're as important as anyone. and i know finance people who've convoyed all over afghanistan supporting the mission. that's a lot more time on the battlefield then most pj's spend looking at it from above. aside from select missions do some female combat medics in the army not do the same exact missions? and let's go to the next branch.. who spends more time on the battlefield.. navy corpsmen or pj's? a job is a job is a job. the marines got it right with no special hats and patches and BS except for a few exceptions. is navy eod any better than army or air force eod because they got some extra schools? just questions for everyone to ask themselves. for you as an MTi, no one down the road will care about what kind of hat you wore.. they will remember you as the person who taught them how to be an Airman and if you did that well.

  9. #19
    Senior Member KellyinAvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Back in the day (early 2004), I was at what I think was the first planning conference for what would become known as Battlefield Airmen. I'm definitely not, nor have I ever been in that category. I was 1 of 2 MAJCOM staff weenies in a large room full of PJs, TACP, Combat Controllers, A-10 drivers and other types along those lines. There was enough testosterone in that room to produce a 50 year supply of Androgel 1.62%. This is also when we found out the Army "transformed" (Army-speak for turning 75% of their cannon-cockers into Infantry and increasing the requirement for TACP by about 500).

    It started out to change the training tracks of these career fields, having everyone together for training that was common across the AFSCs, then split out for AFSC specific stuff. Why do I get the feeling it spawned a life of it's own and looks nothing like what was discussed 9 years ago?
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: SERE the gender neutral standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler View Post
    i'm so tired of the BS.. battlefield airmen is such choad terminology. who gives a sh*t what peoples jobs are as long as they do them well and contribute. if finance helps me out then they're as important as anyone. and i know finance people who've convoyed all over afghanistan supporting the mission. that's a lot more time on the battlefield then most pj's spend looking at it from above. aside from select missions do some female combat medics in the army not do the same exact missions? and let's go to the next branch.. who spends more time on the battlefield.. navy corpsmen or pj's? a job is a job is a job. the marines got it right with no special hats and patches and BS except for a few exceptions. is navy eod any better than army or air force eod because they got some extra schools? just questions for everyone to ask themselves. for you as an MTi, no one down the road will care about what kind of hat you wore.. they will remember you as the person who taught them how to be an Airman and if you did that well.
    There are some exact same missions that Army Medics and PJs do, but there are many more things that PJ doctrine says they can do. Due to necessity, PJs have been doing MEDEVAC and CASEVAC missions but thats only the tip of their iceberg. Navy Corpsmen are clinicians first, more akin to Air Force IDMTs. The ones that are on the battlefield are pipelined into it. Not sure how many of those would be female.
    The battlefield airman thing is choadworthy, but it was a way for their leadership to get some funding and some say in what was going on since they were being used way more than they have been since Vietname (and more). It's easy for F-16 pilots to get what they want when you have 20 generals rated on that aircraft. When you have two O-6s to speak for the whole career field you dont have much juice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •