Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Tuition Assistance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No More Tuition Assistance?

Looks like the Army and Marine Corps are suspending tuition assistance till the budget gets fixed...will the AF follow suit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: No More Tuition Assistance?

The tuition assistance program is one of the few things that works and gives real returns. I hope Big Blue is smart enough to leave it alone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crwchf16 View Post
    The tuition assistance program is one of the few things that works and gives real returns. I hope Big Blue is smart enough to leave it alone
    With that logic, it will be gone tomorrow. You will have to reimburse any TA used for the FY.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope so too, crwchf16, but you know Big Blue - if the Army is going to do it, we will follow suit.

And still demand people get their CCAF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just got an email on the subject... any information being circulated is predecisional and there has been no decision yet. But it is being discussed and given all the cuts and people being furloghed, and the fact that you can still use your GI bill, I'd sign up for classes NOW if you want TA.

Tough times...
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

JD2780

my wife lucked out, shes starting a class next week, all signed up just in time and class is paid for

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

This is a smart move. Since we are supposed to be cutting anything that is not mission critical/essential, TA should go. As useful as it may be, pursuing a degree is not critical to any part of any mission. I know there are many who take full advantage of it (as one should) but a degree does not improve any aspect of defending the country. As annoying as they are, the only courses the military should be paying for are military related.

And now I'm curious as to what all the leeching spouses are going to do with their free time if Uncle Sam stops paying to put them through school.

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This is a smart move. Since we are supposed to be cutting anything that is not mission critical/essential, TA should go. As useful as it may be, pursuing a degree is not critical to any part of any mission. I know there are many who take full advantage of it (as one should) but a degree does not improve any aspect of defending the country. As annoying as they are, the only courses the military should be paying for are military related.

And now I'm curious as to what all the leeching spouses are going to do with their free time if Uncle Sam stops paying to put them through school.
    They are military related if youre using them to get your ccaf to get that SRE. Here is an idea, remove the requirement and give the SRE based on performance or military related tasks. Not, hey good you're a professional student.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I make full-use of Tuition Assistance, having just recently signed up for two more classes for Spring Session II and having TA already approved (thankfully). I would hate to see Tuition Assistance be suspended either permanently or temporarily. I also wish that our Congressional "leaders" would do their jobs and pass a sensible budget; I wish that our military leaders would not treat the money they are allocated like it's an "all you can eat" at the China Star buffet.

While Tuition Assistance is indeed a perk of military service and not a must of military service, I believe that if the government and the military were better stewards of taxpayer dollars, there would not have to be any effect on programs that impact personnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Already know this topic is real touchy. I say get rid of it...

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...amp-The-Budget
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown