Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Tuition Assistance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: No More Tuition Assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
    Already know this topic is real touchy. I say get rid of it...

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...amp-The-Budget
    I must admit I didn't go through ten pages of that thread discussion. Maybe the following argument was already debated or put to rest, but if Tuition Assistance really MUST go, then so be it. At the end of the day, the Air Force pays you to do your job, not be a professional student. However, I believe that a more stringent and mature fiscal responsibility could avoid having to cull personnel programs such as Tuition Assistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This is a smart move. Since we are supposed to be cutting anything that is not mission critical/essential, TA should go. As useful as it may be, pursuing a degree is not critical to any part of any mission. I know there are many who take full advantage of it (as one should) but a degree does not improve any aspect of defending the country. As annoying as they are, the only courses the military should be paying for are military related.

And now I'm curious as to what all the leeching spouses are going to do with their free time if Uncle Sam stops paying to put them through school.
    Sands,

There is a rumor going around that Squadron Officer School and NCO Academy seats will be reduced for the remaining FY13 calendar. Everyone is awaiting clarification from the A1 to see if these reductions will in fact take place. I support suspending TA for the remaining FY if the rumors are true.

How can we pay for civilian education when we are cutting back on professional military education (PME)? Whether you are a supporter of military education or not, it sends the wrong signal to support TA over PME.
    You don't know what you have done forgetting the F.
    -ske4za

One person shits their pants and everyone gets to wear a diaper.
    -Vrake

Girlfriends are better than wives
    -Tak

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sperry1989 View Post
    Sands,

There is a rumor going around that Squadron Officer School and NCO Academy seats will be reduced for the remaining FY13 calendar. Everyone is awaiting clarification from the A1 to see if these reductions will in fact take place. I support suspending TA for the remaining FY if the rumors are true.

How can we pay for civilian education when we are cutting back on professional military education (PME)? Whether you are a supporter of military education or not, it sends the wrong signal to support TA over PME.
    That is not a rumor at all. There is a Memo out from the Undersecretary of Defense (dated Feb 28 2013) On page 3 it addresses Education and Training. Here is what it says:

Education and Training (POC: AF/A1)

Education and training guidance:
    All HQ AF leadership development courses scheduled tlu·ough April 2013 will be
    cancelled with exceptions for courses with non-recoverable tuition. HQ AF/A1 will
    evaluate subsequent classes on a monthly basis and assess the impact on our Total Force
    officer, enlisted, and civilian Airmen.

Third quatter attendance at short-term TDY professional military education (PME), e.g.,
    SOS, CAL T, NCO Academies will be reduced. Specific guidance will be provided by
    AF/A1.

The AF will support DoD and Joint education and training consistent w/OSD guidance.
    The following education and training is considered mission critical and will continue under
    sequestration:

Long-term professional military education (military and civilian attendance), all precommand
    training and CSAF mandated training, initial skills training, pre-deployment
    expeditionary skill training, and functional skills training as required by law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We got some info on this today as well. I can better deal with TA going away or being reduced if the same is done for SRE requirements for Senior and Chief. If they still want CCAF's for those ranks and eliminate TA that's a foul imo.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pheeew, just got my TA approved for my final two classes I need for my bachelors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Me too I only need 3 more classes to get my degree done. But we will still send Officers out to get thier 9th Masters degree on the Goverment dime......Great thinking Air Force

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Looks like the Army and Marine Corps are suspending tuition assistance till the budget gets fixed...will the AF follow suit?
    TA will be cut not eliminated

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Rainmaker not sure what he finds more disturbing. The Hypocrisy of the DoD perfumed princes calling for cuts to our Military personnel and pay and benefits ( while at the same time they're paying over $200 Billion a year in Service Contracts) or the Military personnel on here constantly rogering up to take it in the ass, so a that a bunch of industry fat cat contractors and Political appointee General Officers can continue to get paid.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SotaPop View Post
    Good to know. That must've been what they decided on at the golf course during their annual winter vacation to Corona a couple weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SotaPop View Post
    Ya, great way to spin it.... BTW, the "cut" is 100%
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal