Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Shot at the Open Letter to a CMSAF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another Shot at the Open Letter to a CMSAF?

Now that we have a new CMSAF, maybe we could give an open letter another try? This time around use some stats from our personal units to back up our concerns (PT failures due to waist only measurement and push ups, for example)?

Granted I know, as well as most of you, that inflated EPRs are going to be the main focal point. Another problem I have with EPRs is the amount of people between me and the CC that are looking, tweaking, red-inking, and overall tearing apart. Make it the rater, the add'l rater, the 1st Sgt, the CEM, the CC. Done.

PT - we get it..it's here to stay, it's part of our EPR, etc. Let's fix the waist measurement, the minimum score formulas, the exemption penalties, etc.

JET Taskings - end them

Sequestration - fine, but let's put money where it belongs first (the mission, parts, maintenance, etc). Stop sending us to conferences, end the "use it or lose it" end of year mentality, etc.

Ancillary/Additional/PreDeployment training - stop it, minimize it, and get rid of most of it

PME - We now have FTAC, ALS, NCO Personal Development Courses, NCOA, another NCO Personal Development Course, Course 14, SNCOA, Chief's Academy, and whatever else some brainiac creates. If we were to get rid of this ancillary training, AF Form 55, Form 1800s, Drive Vehicles or Lose Them policy, stupid PMIs where you don't really DO anything (turn it on, is light on? if yes, turn off, done), Pre Meetings for Pre Meetings, etc...we can do this kind of crap at the office/work center level.

Awards - stop letting units judge their own paper boards. Send packages to another unit and hold REAL boards. Too many units are picking winners based on what SNCO they want to "groom".

Assignments - ALL assignments frozen at a 4-5 yr tour. Single, Unaccompanies, etc. (leave remotes like Korea as is). If we're hurting for money, why am I sending a single Amn away from an overseas assignment after 2 yrs?

AFRs and TOs - let's remove the "grey areas"from AFIs and TOs and get some clear cut "THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL DO" no BS directives. This is the military. Issue clear cut standards and directives, none of this "up to interpretation" crap.

Uniforms - leave them alone

Other things?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another Shot at the Open Letter to a CMSAF?

I have to disagree with this one. . . The Army is wrapping up the camouflage improvement program and has spent $millions developing a functional, effective uniform that doesn't involve vanity patterns. The Air Force needs to get along side that uniform and get us out of the ABU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    AFRs and TOs - let's remove the "grey areas"from AFIs and TOs and get some clear cut "THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL DO" no BS directives. This is the military. Issue clear cut standards and directives, none of this "up to interpretation" crap.

Other things?
    Actually, on the Regs and T.O.s, IMO, they need to include a statement in every single one that says something along the lines of:

"Regulations and rules exist to permit the safe, orderly and efficient operate of the Air Force. Regulations and T.O.s are to be followed explicitly under normal circumstances. However, there are situations where common sense or experience dictate that what is written in a regulation or T.O. is not technically accurate and/or not in the best interest of the Air Force or the mission. All Air Force personnel and, in particular, personnel in leadership positions, are expected to recognize those situations and intitate actions to correct the written guidance. In the interim, those personnel are authorized and expected to recommend to their chain of command that a deviation from written guidance is in the best interest of the Air Force and the mission. Personnel in leadership positions who ignore or disapprove such recommendations solely on the basis that the recommendation is contrary to written guidance will be held accountable for that decision if failure to follow the recommendation negatively impacts unit adiness and/or the ability of the unit to perform its mission."
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
    The pursuit of excellence only for the sake of achieving excellence is a waste:
    Time and energy spent pursuing excellence in one area is
    time and energy that could have been used to improve in another area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Far as the point of money is concerned. The only thing that slightly worries me is if units refuse to buy things even mission essential equipment for works. I say that because it's been said maybe the AF can start an incentive program of some type based on who spends less than the last year. Don't think we needs unit not buying ANYTHING so they can look good for base/MAJCOM leadership.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant eNYgma View Post
    Far as the point of money is concerned. The only thing that slightly worries me is if units refuse to buy things even mission essential equipment for works. I say that because it's been said maybe the AF can start an incentive program of some type based on who spends less than the last year. Don't think we needs unit not buying ANYTHING so they can look good for base/MAJCOM leadership.
    I would imagine the new system would need to look something like local governments. Most cities bring in revenue from either property taxes, income taxes, or both. They use these funds to provide education, fire, police, etc. Most city governments are sitting on at least a small cash reserve as there is no reason to spend all their revenue every year. If a city mismanages resources the administrator is ussally fired and most politicans are voted out.

Obviously units in the AF do not bring in "revenue" but they do recieve funds from above. We could easily take the current budget as a baseline to implement the new system. Each unit gets what they currently recieve (for Operation and Maintenance) and if they manage to save some of it they get to keep it for next year. At some point budgets would be adjusted based on units who clearly have a budget that is too high or too low. The AF could also develop some sort of grading system where the units who are most effective with the money they recieve would get a bonus.

Under this system I think that CE would need to centrally manage construction and maintenance projects but everything else could realistically stick to something close to the baseline budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coldmkay View Post

I have to disagree with this one. . . The Army is wrapping up the camouflage improvement program and has spent $millions developing a functional, effective uniform that doesn't involve vanity patterns. The Air Force needs to get along side that uniform and get us out of the ABU.
    That is a widely held opinion about the work uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to see the new CMSAF run around naked smeared in Nutella, smoking Angel Dust while reading excerpts from "Horton Hears a Who"! You know that nothing else you recommend is gonna happen, so wny not go for broke?

"Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coldmkay View Post

+1: vanity patterns, outstanding observation.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE666 View Post
    I'd like to see the new CMSAF run around naked smeared in Nutella, smoking Angel Dust while reading excerpts from "Horton Hears a Who"! You know that nothing else you recommend is gonna happen, so wny not go for broke?

You had me until Horton Hears a Who. Gotta go with Green Eggs and Ham on this one.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE666 View Post

I think that's what Gurney was planning on before them Crazy Bitches brought him down