Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If $1 is spent on frivolous end of year spending...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: If $1 is spent on frivolous end of year spending...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Do you really think anyone's life is threatened in this situation? Can you cite an example?
    Does it have to be life threatening? If an Airman lost an eye or a finger, would that be acceptable? Can you cite an example?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Do you really think anyone's life is threatened in this situation? Can you cite an example?
    In our case, its PPE. Hard hats have an expiry date, believe it or not. And we need safety glasses for some folks. According to the letter of the law, we need new hard hats. Now, realistically...I don't think it would be an issue because we don't wear them continuously. I think they'd probably be fine. But I'm not OSHA.

If I was losing sleep over it I'd elevate. I'm not, but I still think its bogus we don't have less than $300 to meet the OSHA requirement. I honestly think our leadership is using this to beg the wing for more money as they've always taken good care of us in the past.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Z1911 View Post
    "Different pot of money"...Which is a voodoo economics pile of horseshit!:frusty That whole concept needs to be flushed down the nearest toilet. IMHO, the "different pot of money" answer is one of the many MAJOR reasons the government is in the predicament it's in.
    Not really, cold weather gear and plaques come from the same unit GPC funds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    In our case, its PPE. Hard hats have an expiry date, believe it or not. And we need safety glasses for some folks. According to the letter of the law, we need new hard hats. Now, realistically...I don't think it would be an issue because we don't wear them continuously. I think they'd probably be fine. But I'm not OSHA.

If I was losing sleep over it I'd elevate. I'm not, but I still think its bogus we don't have less than $300 to meet the OSHA requirement. I honestly think our leadership is using this to beg the wing for more money as they've always taken good care of us in the past.
    This is the sort of thing that I think is worse than the whole "flat screen tv" thing. Is a hard hat really not gonna be serviceable one day after the expiry so now the commander has to drop some coin on it. Probably peanuts in the grand scheme sure, but some things need to be in the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:spy Do kelvar helmets with stealth paint have a expiration date...like if your shot at the day after.....we need the 'ole steel pot',takes a lick'in and keeps your head on!! :hail

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    This is the sort of thing that I think is worse than the whole "flat screen tv" thing. Is a hard hat really not gonna be serviceable one day after the expiry so now the commander has to drop some coin on it. Probably peanuts in the grand scheme sure, but some things need to be in the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law.
    I don't disagree, but as I noted its an OSHA requirement which the AF has to follow like any other employer in the US. With hard hats the plastic becomes more brittle with age and UV exposure. A 10 year old one may not give your noodle the protection it needs if you get knocked in the noggin. Not that ours are anywhere near that age.

Actually the requirement is to replace every 2-5 years depending on amount of use and climate. Also if it gets impacted due to a hit or even dropping it. They cost $15. A pittance compared to the safety they provide.

God help the employer that has expired hats or some such and something happens. OSHA descends and the fines/penalties can be harsh. PPE is cheap compared to it so most legit employers don't play when it comes to that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    AFI 91-203 15 JUNE 2012

14.4.3.1.5. Inspection. Inspect safety helmets prior to each use. Any of the following defects is cause for immediate removal from service:
    14.4.3.1.5.1. Suspension systems with evidence of material cracking, tearing, fraying or other signs of deterioration.
    14.4.3.1.5.2. Any cracks, perforations of brim or shell, deformation of shell or evidence of exposure to excessive heat, chemicals or radiation.
    14.4.3.1.5.3. Any accumulation of conductive material on or inside the shell that cannot be removed prior to use. This applies to helmets used in electrical hazardous environments.
    Those too. But as noted in para 1.1 OSHA is the standard unless military needs dictate otherwise.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Very true.. its why i also hated it when for the navy at least, if something is a day out of calibration date, you can't use it for PMS. Is that 1 day out going to make it all of a suddenly not give proper readings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Very true.. its why i also hated it when for the navy at least, if something is a day out of calibration date, you can't use it for PMS. Is that 1 day out going to make it all of a suddenly not give proper readings?
    There is a chance that it could be out of limits, that's the reason why we have calibration dates.

One item that bothers me about all this crap is we tell people to use their clothing allowance to buy items that should be issued because it is required for their specific job (Steel Toe Boots, cold weather gear, PPE) Also when people are having to use their own money to buy office supplies to do their job, we have got a serious problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omertalifestyle View Post
    There is a chance that it could be out of limits, that's the reason why we have calibration dates.

One item that bothers me about all this crap is we tell people to use their clothing allowance to buy items that should be issued because it is required for their specific job (Steel Toe Boots, cold weather gear, PPE) Also when people are having to use their own money to buy office supplies to do their job, we have got a serious problem.
    Agree. The clothing allowance is only for replacement items in the clothing bag. Anyone who tells enlisted to buy anything outside that list is 100% wrong.