Thread: Air wings grounded

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MilitaryTimes.com Community Editor CommunityEditor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Air wings grounded

4 Navy air wings grounded, 8 deployments canned

With no budget deal by deadline, the Navy announced some drastic actions Saturday in the face of sequestration.

Four air wings are set to be grounded and eight ship deployments have been cancelled — including one already underway. The moves will help save the service $10 billion, the amount cut this year due to automatic spending cuts triggered by Congress.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said these drastic actions will still preserve the Navy’s presence overseas.

Read the whole story here.
    How can aviation community best cope with sequester-related cuts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Air wings grounded

By drinking, of course!

"Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:lol Yea machine 666, BUT they will still be using 100% of O2 even in a non-flying status to 'clear' those hangovers!! uke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have a valid point, Robot Chicken...I recommend that instead of huffing 100% O2 from their planes, they should huff MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE instead! The irony!

"Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep"

"Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike"

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE666 View Post
    You have a valid point, Robot Chicken...I recommend that instead of huffing 100% O2 from their planes, they should huff MODEL AIRPLANE GLUE instead! The irony!

:clock 'Machine666' Have you not heard the latest in the 'land of beer?' All glue supplies from model kits have fallen under DOD's emergency supply system for the production and repair of the F-35 program. Any surpluses go to the 'upgrading program' for the B-2 stealth that does NOT improve with age as the F-35 with the 'super glue' WILL! Now go drink a RACK of REAL beer for RC!! :whoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommunityEditor View Post
    How can aviation community best cope with sequester-related cuts?
    The decision not to deploy Truman and her carrier strike group is merely a return to the status quo ante. Eisenhower will shortly be en route to relieve Stennis in the Gulf region and let her crew have a long overdue break. We probably never needed to have two carrier strike groups out there.

The decision on the carrier air wings is a little less clear. It's also a little less necessary. To say it again, Google the term "Washington Monument Syndrome." The Pentagon is adroit at crying wolf and that's what's happening here. Yes, this may impose some hardship on the people involved but not as much as the wolf-criers would have us believe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I agree with this. It could be a real problem if a crisis breaks out though. NK is starting to ratchet up their rhetoric a little more than usual so who knows? I think we are leaving ourselves open to some serious problems if a dire contingency arises and we don't have the time to respond in enough force. That is where we could wind up on the losing side. These politicians (and yes I include the President) are playing politics with our national security. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think NK is ratcheting it up deliberately. Thanks to modern media they are well aware of our problems. Every time they show their ass it is when we have other stuff going on.

I am all about saving money but when we won't do preventative maintanence on our aircraft or refuel scheduled Carriers I get nervous. They are saying like 250 jets won't get PMI's done due to this. It just creates an even worse backlog because we are flying the crap out of the jets that are still good. PMI'S take time to do right that's not something we can cut corners on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    I think NK is ratcheting it up deliberately. Thanks to modern media they are well aware of our problems. Every time they show their ass it is when we have other stuff going on.

I am all about saving money but when we won't do preventative maintanence on our aircraft or refuel scheduled Carriers I get nervous. They are saying like 250 jets won't get PMI's done due to this. It just creates an even worse backlog because we are flying the crap out of the jets that are still good. PMI'S take time to do right that's not something we can cut corners on.
    I'm not sure why Burawski and Vrake think North Korea is "starting to ratchet up their rhetoric." I haven't seen that reported. No one I know who follows North Korea thinks that. By traditional standards, North Korean speeches and media have been fairly mellow as of late. Allowing a sports figure to appear in public with Kim was an enormous public-relations coup but it was anything but hostile.

Not refueling one carrier (not carriers, plural) for a temporary period and threatening to delay inspections is all cosmetic posturing. This time around, the Navy has proven better at it than the Air Force, which normally excels at rolling out the "Washington Monument Syndrome."

Besides, those air wings won't be grounded much longer anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    I'm not sure why Burawski and Vrake think North Korea is "starting to ratchet up their rhetoric." I haven't seen that reported. No one I know who follows North Korea thinks that. By traditional standards, North Korean speeches and media have been fairly mellow as of late. Allowing a sports figure to appear in public with Kim was an enormous public-relations coup but it was anything but hostile.

Not refueling one carrier (not carriers, plural) for a temporary period and threatening to delay inspections is all cosmetic posturing. This time around, the Navy has proven better at it than the Air Force, which normally excels at rolling out the "Washington Monument Syndrome."

Besides, those air wings won't be grounded much longer anyway.

Mr Dorr a run through cnn or foxnews will show you the article where NK are saying they are ending the armistice and will "strike the US". It's all talk as everyone knows. They would not be stupid enough to do anything of substance. As for my multiple refuel comment there has been talk ( talk I know but where there is smoke there is fire) about putting the CVN-73 in storage rather then refuel it. I don't know how much weight that holds but just hearing it is disturbing.

This link is mellow?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03...anctions-vote/

And an edit***.

I don't know if you are privy to message traffic but it is already hitting us with our jets in PMI'S. Jets are being slid and delayed already because they are so old. While we wait for them we run the hours off the ones we have. So I will say if this is a Washington Monument Syndrome it sucks to have the symptoms with no cure in sight.