Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign of things to come? "Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance programs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sign of things to come? "Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance programs"

How soon before other services follow? Better get signed up for your classes now!!

http://www.stripes.com/marines-halt-...ollow-1.210592

Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance programs; other services could follow
    By Jennifer Hlad Stars and Stripes Tweet

Published: March 5, 2013

U.S. ArmyWASHINGTON – Some Marines are scrambling to find ways to pay for classes after a surprise announcement that the Marine Corps has stopped new enrollments in its tuition assistance program.

The program was available for active-duty Marines attending high school completion courses, vocational courses or classes toward an associate, bachelor, master or doctorate degree after hours. It provided up to $4,500 per fiscal year, or $250 per semester hour or credit hour, according to a Marine Corps website.

An administrative message published Saturday for all Navy and Marine Corps personnel from Navy Secretary Ray Mabus noted that one of the impacts of the across-the-board budget cuts known as sequestration would be to “cease new USMC enrollments in voluntary education tuition assistance.”

But Marines already using the program said they were informed that their assistance also would be cut off after the current semester and that they should meet with guidance counselors for information about scholarships and grants.

Marine Corps officials did not answer inquiries from Stars and Stripes seeking clarification about whether students enrolled in education programs will be able to get assistance for next semester.

The cuts do not impact the G.I. Bill.

Michael Dakduk, executive director of Student Veterans of America, said the tuition assistance program was important to him while he was in the Marine Corps.

“This benefit helped me attain the coursework necessary to successfully transition from combat to college and eventually complete my baccalaureate degree,” Dakduk said.

The cancellation of the program “is especially troubling given the number of Marines expected to leave active service in the coming years and the incredible value placed on higher education in today’s job market,” he said.

The Marines may not be the only service to make the change. On Tuesday, the Defense Department comptroller released guidance that suggested all services consider “significant reductions in funding new tuition assistance applicants ... for the duration of the current fiscal situation.”
    Just gotta throw it out there again... why is it we're going to screw our own people, yet continue to send foreign aid? If things are really that bad, we need to take care of our own before we worry about others! Not saying the strategic impact of foreign aid should be put in second place to someone taking classes... just in general; before we slash programs to take care of OUR people, we need to take a hard look at why we're funding similar programs for other countries!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

JD2780

Re: Sign of things to come? "Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance progr

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    How soon before other services follow? Better get signed up for your classes now!!

Just gotta throw it out there again... why is it we're going to screw our own people, yet continue to send foreign aid? If things are really that bad, we need to take care of our own before we worry about others! Not saying the strategic impact of foreign aid should be put in second place to someone taking classes... just in general; before we slash programs to take care of OUR people, we need to take a hard look at why we're funding similar programs for other countries!
    Our military leaders also have to look at the budget and move funds around as well. Yes we need our gov to stop sending foriegn aid all over, but our leaders also have to make better choices as to where to put the money we actually have. Instead of stopping enrollments how about dropping it to 75%? Or closing some more MWR stuff folks dont use. Like in the AF nobody really uses the enlisted clubs anymore. If they do its not to the extent they used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sign of things to come? "Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance progr

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Our military leaders also have to look at the budget and move funds around as well. Yes we need our gov to stop sending foriegn aid all over, but our leaders also have to make better choices as to where to put the money we actually have. Instead of stopping enrollments how about dropping it to 75%? Or closing some more MWR stuff folks dont use. Like in the AF nobody really uses the enlisted clubs anymore. If they do its not to the extent they used to.
    Was discussing this over chow today... so if TA is going to get axed, are they going to look at the second order effects? Are you going to be expected to pay out of pcoket or use your GI bill to take a class you need for senior rater? Same for Os who are working on their Masters... are they going to have to pay out of pocket? We've established standards/expectations with the assumption they'll be funded and now they may not be.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

JD2780

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Was discussing this over chow today... so if TA is going to get axed, are they going to look at the second order effects? Are you going to be expected to pay out of pcoket or use your GI bill to take a class you need for senior rater? Same for Os who are working on their Masters... are they going to have to pay out of pocket? We've established standards/expectations with the assumption they'll be funded and now they may not be.
    Are they going to get rid of the requirement of the CCAF for SRE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remeber last year when the Marine Corps scrapped the TA for a set amount every year, and I think it was $850. People were in such a uproar about it, that the Marine Corps went back to the full amount. But they did say the funds would probably run out before the end of the Fiscal Year.
    Well the funds have run out now. So thank you Marines who screwed everyone else out of TA while they use the full amount.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has "bad idea" written all over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Remeber last year when the Marine Corps scrapped the TA for a set amount every year, and I think it was $850. People were in such a uproar about it, that the Marine Corps went back to the full amount. But they did say the funds would probably run out before the end of the Fiscal Year.
    Well the funds have run out now. So thank you Marines who screwed everyone else out of TA while they use the full amount.
    How did the Marines screw everyone over exactly? Why are you blaming the Marines and not the other services? The other services only lowered the annual amount to $3500. But the Marines cut TA by over 80% and in some cases the former allotted amount wouldn't cover a single class. But it's the Marines' fault? I agree that they should have lowered the amount but should have followed suit with the other services' methods. By slashing it by that much, it sends a message to Marines that the Corps doesn't care about a Marine's education. I believe that it was the SecDef that put a stop to the Marines' $875 cap because it was incredibly unfair to Marines. Why not cut down on other programs such as MWR or SMP? Back to my point - Marines wanting to get a fair amount of TA isn't screwing everyone else over.
    Fighting the global war on terrible spelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can remember many years ago while serving on Okinawa when one of our greatest Commandants and Warriors, General Al Gray, came to visit and told us all "I better not ever hear anyone tell me they joined the Marine Corps for an Education". He was all about war fightening, which by the way is our mission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:bump2 Back in '75 stationed at Lowry AFB the E Club was so crowded with guys and gals you couldn't move!(had beer machines for ?.30 cents in the WW-II barracks we occupied) Now I suppose if one went to any place booze or beer were served 'ON BASE' you would be paranoid of a 'weekend update' on who,where, and how MUCH, and being within walking distance, accused of drunk in public/vs DUI, And then Restricted to base and barred from all drinking/watering holes. Even in Europe,I only drank coke/NA Beer(German of course) at the O'club,etc. :nono

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the loss of TA stinks, but we need to remember, the Marine Corps is a warfighting organization, not a scholarship foundation. TA is an entitlement, a perk, a nice to have, not a need to have. Quit all the belly aching and drop your entitlement mentality. Just about everyone should still have their GI bill so they can continue to pursue their education if they are operationally capable of doing so.

Yes, the Government needs to cut wasteful spending elsewhere, and I agree, foreign aid should go, to include our so called allies: Pakistan and Israel come to mind. Bu we know that's not going to happen.
    "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." Kenny Powers